*Badly* needed ethernet driver
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alliensis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: *Badly* needed ethernet driver Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a relative Linux n00b who wants to install Gentoo Linux on his IBM Thinkpad 600X. Great laptop, but doesn't come with any sort of NIC. I've been using my IBM EtherJet PC Card w/Win2K for over a year with no problems, but support in the Linux community for the hardware is low. I need the module cs89x0_cs.o to make it work, a beta driver written god only knows how long ago. Does anyone have a copy of it out there? Or could you tell me about compiling it when the 'make all' and 'make install' commands don't work like what the documentation said?

Thanks.
quikchaos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying you need the module? I googled that card and got this page that has all the info on the linux driver for that card.

http://www.first.fraunhofer.de/~danilo/pc-driver/

It said something about a BIOS update for THinkPad 600x to eliminate some performance probs too.

If you already have that .8 driver, what kind of errors are you getting while trying to compile and install? We might be able to help you get that beta driver working properly.
alliensis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the page you are referring to: that's where I got the driver source from. The real problem lies in compilation. It said this in the readme:
Quote:
To install this driver, unpack the archive on top of PCMCIA source
tree (aka pcmcia-cs), then type "make all" and "make install".
You should read the pcmcia-cs documentation before sending
question about howto compile and install it.
I wasn't sure what it meant, so I looked to the #include statement in the actual .c driver source file. I found the actual files it claimed to need in the /usr/src/linux/include subdirectory. Nevertheless, upon copying to the directory I typed "make all" but the command couldn't complete. Does the documentation mean something else when they say "make all"?
dambacher
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to do the following:
1) unpack the pcmcia-cs package by
Code:
ebuild /usr/portage/sys-apps/pcmcia-cs/pcmcia-cs-3.2.4 unpack

(check if version 3.2.4 is the current one... by using emerge sync and emerge -p pcmcia-cs)

2) go to the top of the source path of the package in /var/tmp/portage/pcmcia-cs/work/

3) do as the code sais and unpack your network card code there. THe files should show up between the other sources in .../pcmcia-cs/work/pcmcia-cs/clients somewhere.

4) now you have to compile and install

You can try to let portage do this by doing an
Code:
 ebuild /usr/portage/sys-apps/pcmcia-cs/pcmcia-cs-3.2.4 compile install qmerge

Hopefully this is it.
if not, try to search for the compiled driver and install it manually to your modules path
If this does not work, you have to configure, compile and install the package yourself. How to do this should be written in the INSTALL script of pcmcia-cs...

5) Hopefully you now have your driver !

bye
Ulf
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: