View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rokstar83
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Gentoo Haters/Lovers Reply with quote

I know that someone has already posted about one of the articles, but Gentoo got slashdotted again and not in a good way. I'd post the link but it looks like they are down for the moment. The recent article was about problems with gentoo from developers own words. They were interesting to say the least, although who knows what the context for each one was.

At first I interpreted it as a "rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated" however I can't say that I really have much contact or follow the gentoo developers aside from whats in the newsletters. So that makes me beg the question what is really going on behind the scenes? Are there problems at the hearts of gentoo that we don't see or has slashdot over exaggerated the problems? I see a lot of people who for whatever reason hate gentoo, and that may be the "loudest voice in the room is the only one heard" thing, but is this slashdotting another example of haters?

I've been using gentoo for only 3 years now so my history of gentoo's old days isn't really there, but I got to say I love it. I've tried a few others without much luck. To be honest Gentoo was the first distro I got running up in full mostly because of the learning that I was forced to do to make a CLI install work. I've encounter problems like some of the other folks in the "i'm leaving gentoo" posts but I haven't seen a total system meltdown like some of my friends have with other distros.

I'm not going to assume that this distro isn't without problems but I hear stuff about stagnation and over-extension and QA problems with portage and other such things. So whats the deal, i'm not nessessarily expecting a public response to these articles as I don't feel that they are warranted but as a gentoo user I like to know if I should be concerned.

Let me end this rather long post, with many question I know, with a little bit of praise. Thanks to all the gentoo developers who have made this distro possible. I have to use Windows at work, and its always a joy to come back to a nice stable system that I can rely on without fail and also does what I tell it to.

Thanks in advance.

[edit] Opps it wasn't a new slashdot article, it was a link through the seeds article to lwn article from about a month ago. [/edit]
rsa4046
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post the link?
rokstar83
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that,

http://lwn.net/Articles/197380/

Slashdot is back up it looks like.
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd post the link but it looks like they are down for the moment.

That's what they get for dissing Gentoo... :twisted:
BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be some strive in the developers community. Apparently there are flamefests on the dev mailinglist. You can see it spill over to peoples blogs (planet.gentoo.org). I wouldn't worry too much about it though. Gentoo's dev community is growing rapidly and it is normal to go through some growing pains when switching from a relatively small project where each dev knows eachother, to a much larger project where you need proper guidelines etc. I believe Debian went through a similar fase when they started getting 200+ developers.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was also nervous after seeing some suprising comments on Slashdot, but some of the devs on the boards said that things were probably exaggerated. There is a thread on the boards that talks about it:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-500288.html
rokstar83
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doh, didn't mean to post a dup topic on this, I guess I should have looked harder to see if anyone else was concerned about this.

Thanks, for the link to the thread.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are core issues with Gentoo, and there are many, but it seems like one of the core problems is with the devs themselves.

Just from what I have seen from some of the devs have posted, they seem to have an idea on what they want, and don't give two shits about the users themselves. They know how to handle everything themselves, and whenever something comes up, they seem to either say "Well, you're an idiot" or "Hmm, that sounds like a problem with _____, not my area".

Its a pain, and rather annoying. I've been in arguments like that. The devs have their own agendas, and there isn't any real core it seems to Gentoo that has taken control of things.

I've siad it before and I'll say it again: Democracy just doesn't work.
rokstar83
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While i'm not going to debate the merits of democracy, this isn't really one. We don't elect the devs (and i'm not saying we should). To be honest i'm not sure if the userbase even elects the council (thats out of my own ignorance). My understanding is that the dev issue is more that the council doesn't really have the teeth to focus their efforts, but this is all hearsay.

I'm not try to flame anyone here i'm just curious.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rokstar83 wrote:
While i'm not going to debate the merits of democracy, this isn't really one. We don't elect the devs (and i'm not saying we should). To be honest i'm not sure if the userbase even elects the council (thats out of my own ignorance). My understanding is that the dev issue is more that the council doesn't really have the teeth to focus their efforts, but this is all hearsay.

I'm not try to flame anyone here i'm just curious.

I think this is a good point. The Council is elected I think, but the problem is you never really know the people invovled.

There are problems with various aspects of Gentoo, everything from Portage to the ebuilds to baselayout and the X scripts. IMHO, one part needs to be focused on now (more then likely Portage. It needs the most work far as I am concerned) even at a slowing/stopping of something else. Not for long, but long enough to get things back on track, leave some devs there, then move to something else.
rokstar83
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If thats true it sounds like theres need for a feature freeze, but thats just me.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every program sometimes needs a rewrite. Portage seems to need one, but none of the devs are willing to do it because its alot of work and they don't want to.
rokstar83
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What specifically? The only problem I have ever heard of/had with portage is reverse dependancy and cleaning which are somewhat interelated. Other than that i've never had any problems with portage, granted I only see it through other programs, emerge, eix, equery and the like.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of it is really slow. There are dup features (emerge -s, eix), outside apps that do so much of a better job (eix, equery) that should be in the system, and the related features removed. Then there is the problem with dep handling.
rokstar83
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not quite sure when it happend but I notice a huge speed boost in the syncing, especially in the updating the portage cache. Used to be it would hang around 52% for a couple minutes before it would go again. Also I used to get weird I/O failures under heavy cpu load, which seemed to clean up though that may have been an upstream rsync thing for all I know. That speed boost definetly made me happy.

I guess I see what you are saying about the speed thing. There are a large number of speed boosting options on the wiki, and I can see what you mean about how some of them should be included in the main branch although many are as simple as putting portage on a different type of partition.
andrewd18
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a step back is needed to regain the composure in the upper eschelons of our Gentoo distro, then so be it. (Just stabilize Gnome 2.16 before you do it! :lol:) I think that, every once in a while, people need to stop working on new development and work on fixing what's available. Just like the 2.6.15 kernel release; the Kernel devs announced that they were gonna stop adding features for a little bit, and the > 2.6.15 kernels have been the most stable kernels I've used since the late 2.4's. I know a lot of users have loved the changes in Portage 2.1 versus its predecessors; I sure have, at least. So if we need to step back and do some cleaning, I for one welcome our Mega-Maid overlords.

Some of the projects that could be cleaned...
-- Portage (as nasty as it might be)
-- Bugzilla
-- More Bugzilla
-- Even More Bugzilla
-- Other things I haven't thought of, but they're probably in Bugzilla.

Honestly... we're almost at 150,000 bugs reported total, and it was only a few months ago that we were at 100,000. Let's go back through and clean some things up there.

I hope the things up at the dev/council level get sorted out. I have faith in the devs, despite the fact that I've never met or even chatted with them on IRC. We're pullin' for you, guys!

Regardless of the status in the higher eschelons of my favorite distro... thanks, Gentoo devs. I know you don't normally read the boards and whatnot, but if it weren't for your hard work, I wouldn't be converting my entire family to Linux right now. (I can see the devs now... "Whee, some kid converted his family to Linux; my work here is done."). But it's a step forward in my tech life (and it means less virus-related calls for help from the fam and more calls about insane CFLAGS :lol: ), and I appreciate the work you've all done to make it work thus far.

There's no place like ::1
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

++ for the cleanup in bugzilla. Personally, they need to trash some bugs that may be outdated, and sort out which ones are serious, minor, and user error (some are obvious).

I'm not for a complete freeze of Portage, just reducing the number of maintainers there are and put them to working with programming.

I'd like to see Portage with its own USE flags/plug-ins so that it can handle a database (problem with this is, which one?). You could also include with that plug-ins for the search functions, and other tools (equery for one) to keep a minimal system if you want to.

I think some of the docs need work, and the doc page needs to be re-sorted on the site. That shouldn't be too terribly hard, the sorting I mean.

But yeah, at the core I think we need people up there who are willing to put their foot down and get something done and get things back on track. Give users the power back.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rokstar83 wrote:
Sorry about that,

http://lwn.net/Articles/197380/

Slashdot is back up it looks like.
I've been saying that for the last 12-18 months, how come all these people are only coming out of the woodwork now?
andrewd18
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
I've been saying that for the last 12-18 months, how come all these people are only coming out of the woodwork now?

I blame Slashdot.

There's no place like ::1
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewd18 wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

I blame Slashdot.
And I blame cokehabit! :P

------------

Only devs can be members of the council and the vote is devs only too. And afaik there are three different projects working on a portage substitute, since the common opinion seems to be that portage is too complicated to fix.

Concerning the devs discussion, I think that this is work in progress. Just keep in mind that we now have only the second council ever. And they obviously plan to be more active than the last one. Also devrel tries to grow more teeth, as I have heard.

I'm still hoping that this are still growing pains from evolving from the "post-drobbins-times" to the "new-community-driven" Gentoo.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loki99 wrote:
I'm still hoping that this are still growing pains from evolving from the "post-drobbins-times" to the "new-community-driven" Gentoo.

Community-drive, yet the council is dev-elected? How it that "community-driven"?
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
Community-drive, yet the council is dev-elected? How it that "community-driven"?

How much sense would it make when the users, who barley know any devs and don't have to work with them on a daily basis, would elect the council?
And please don't forget that developers are part of the community too. Even a quite important one! :wink:

I don't have a problem with that fact. - After all, the devs have to do the work so they have to call the shots, especially in technical issues.

And you do have the chance to get involved in many different ways, so your voice will be heard. Or you could try to become a dev and earn your right to raise your voice or even to run for a council seat yourself. That is what makes Genoo community driven, imo.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loki99 wrote:
And you do have the chance to get involved in many different ways, so your voice will be heard. Or you could try to become a dev and earn your right to raise your voice or even to run for a council seat yourself. That is what makes Genoo community driven, imo.

And for those of us who have other projects to deal with, and already are somewhat short on free time? Should we just be at the beck and call of someone else? If alot of us wanted that, I think we'd still be with Whindoze.
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
And for those of us who have other projects to deal with, and already are somewhat short on free time? Should we just be at the beck and call of someone else? If alot of us wanted that, I think we'd still be with Whindoze.

So how would you feel, if a user of Genadu would want to determine the way you run your project?

It is everywhere the same, if you want to have a voice within a community, you'll have to do something for the project or you wont be accepted and respected.
As users we can give feedback, make suggestions or ask for things, but it is kinda naiv to expect that the users should be the ones who elect the council.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen, outside of user reps, users have little voice amoung the devs. I've seen feature request go unanswered, or the respond "Well, give us the patch or we won't even touch this" given (not that blunt, but almost there).

Its rather annoying.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: