New Install on Ultra 5 /etc/silo.conf Question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w.hill
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: New Install on Ultra 5 /etc/silo.conf Question Reply with quote

Hi,

I trying to get the 2.6 kernel running on my Ultra 5 AND the keyboard working at the same time. The Install CD works fine, detects everything; no problems.

When I build the kernel and reboot I have no keyboard at all - no numlock no nothing. The keyboard is a Type 5 connected via PS2.

Since the boot CD boots find I'd like to use the kernel off it.

I tried copying the 2616 kernel, modules and initRD image onto my SPARC but I can't get the syntax correct to use the initrd image.

I've slavishly followed the Gentoo on SPARC documentation provided. My partitioning is the same. The only significant difference is my SPARC is IDE not SCSI so /dev/hda is the physical disk. /boot is on /dev/hda1

Can some kind soul please tell me what my /etc/silo.conf should look like to use a copy of the kernel copied to the hard disk? Are there any other files that I should copy? Is there anything else I must do to make this scheme work?

Below is silo.conf from the Install CD.

livecd boot # cat silo.conf
default="help"
message="/boot/boot.msg"
image="/boot/2616"
label="2616"
append="initrd=/boot/2616.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc looptype=squashfs loop=/image.squashfs cdroot"
image="/boot/2617"
label="2617"
append="initrd=/boot/2617.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc looptype=squashfs loop=/image.squashfs cdroot"
image="cat /boot/silo.conf"
label="config"
image="cat /boot/video.msg"
label="video"
image="cat /boot/help.msg"
label="help"
image="cat /boot/parameters.msg"
label="parameters"
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is you left the /etc/conf.d/keymaps file at its default settings (which is for kernel 2.4 setups and will cause problems like the one you describe in 2.6).

If this is the case, you could boot with the CD, mount the hard drive and just edit that file and change the KEYMAP= line from KEYMAP="sunkeymap" to something like KEYMAP="us" (or whatever you would set it to if you were on a PC for your locale). If this is indeed the problem, then the InstallCD kernel and initrd won't help at all.

If this isn't the problem, try adjusting the append line to read append="root=/dev/hda1 where hda1 is your root partition. I'm also assuming here that we didn't modularize the hard drive controller driver on the Install CD and put it in the initrd. If we did, this will fail.
w.hill
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a different KEYMAP but no luck. I don't think that this is a key mapping thing as the keyboard does nothing at all. I've enabled the PS2 input device in the kernel config and it makes no difference.

Yet the kernel on the boot CD 2616 detects the keyboard fine.

The keyboard is a SUN TYPE 5 - US style layout with the extra SUN buttons. The mouse attaches to the keyboard which plugs in to the PS2 port.

GPM works on the boot CD's kernel too.

Puzzling.
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the Sun keyboard is a serial device. Make sure you have the SUNSU serial driver enabled in your kernel. Also, make sure you enable Sun Keyboards as an Input Device.
w.hill
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying that even though the keyboard uses a mini-DIN connector it is serial port rather than PS/2?

SUNSU was set to "n". I haven't been back to the office for a few days to battle it out with the Ultra 5; recompiling now.

I'm not very familiar with 2.6 kernel config. I've been running 2.4 on my SPARCs up to now.

[EDIT] Number '5' is Alive. Now if only I can get GPM to work. Tried /dev/input/mice[/EDIT]
gust4voz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we go into technical details PS/2 is serial too :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: