Tips for some erratic problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FxChiP
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Tips for some erratic problems Reply with quote

Problem: Gentoo won't run any of the rc-scripts in any of the runlevels
Solutions: make sure the scripts exist, and that your system time is up to date. Also that Linux can read the system time. Believe it or not, Gentoo wouldn't run rc-scripts for me until I updated the system time.

You can also edit /sbin/rc to run the scripts directly. It's a hassle, but... whatever works.

Problem: I have Windows XP and I want to keep it for (insert reason here - preservation of data, support of hardware, any reason is actually good)
Solutions: Make sure the MBR uses GRUB. For config file editors, the script to boot Windows XP from GRUB is right here:

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
makeactive

I'll post more later. My stepbrother wants the computer and won't stop bitching until he gets it. Until then, you can post erratic problems here.
FxChiP
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem: My CD drive won't eject after rebooting.
Solution: I have the same problem... make an effort to unmount the CD before you shut down. Sometimes, however, if you're in the actual OS, it might break your CD drive so it'll never eject again... so watch out.

Problem: Kernel keeps panicking when I do "gentoo cdcache"
Solution: I've found that sometimes the kernel does this. Don't cdcache in those instances...

Problem: GRUB gives me the wrong info when I type in root (hd0,3) (when /dev/hda3 is the boot partition)
Solution: Not really a big problem, but remember that GRUB is zero-based. /dev/hda1 will be (hd0,0), and /dev/hda2 will be (hd0,1) and so on.

I can't think of any more. Post some.
nbg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem: My Nvidia card is giving me errors about not having permission to access /dev/nvidiactl whenever I try to run an OpenGL program.
Solution:At or near the bottom of /etc/security/console.perms is this line:
Code:
<xconsole> 0600 <dri>        0600 root

Change it to to this:

Code:
<xconsole> 0660 <dri>        0660 root.games

Make sure your user is a member of the games group.
repugnant
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem: emerge sync complains about
Code:
ERROR: out of memory in receive_sums

or
Code:
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(177)

Solution: Move /usr/portage somewhere safe, and do emerge sync.
FxChiP
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem: GRUB has an error loading!
Solution: Is grub.conf still where it's supposed to be? If you're going to uninstall Gentoo but you still want Windows 2000/XP, make sure you do "fixmbr" or "fixboot" in the Windows OS, then use your Gentoo install disc to do the actual uninstalling.

Problem: My CD won't unmount, even on restart! (i.e. CD drive will not eject, but there's nothing wrong with it)
Solution: !!!!!!TEMPORARY WORKAROUND!!!!!! This is a severe problem that the Gentoo guys haven't worked out yet. I hope they find this soon. THIS IS A VERY REAL PROBLEM!

Forcibly turn the power off (i.e. use the damn button), and turn the computer back on. If your CD doesn't eject, or if you can't boot, unplug your CD drive from the IDE cable and consider getting a new one (that's what I had to do). I have this exact same problem and am praying to God that it gets fixed soon. One of their bug guys brushed it off as a hardware failure, but it affected my friend's computer (that has NO HARDWARE FAILURES WHATSOEVER) as well, so I assume there are at least 100,000 more that it affects.

Anyway, here's how to prevent it. If installing gentoo, put this in the "boot:" prompt:

Code:
gentoo cdcache

If you're actually in the OS, copy everything from your CD-ROM somewhere on the hard drive and then unmount as soon as you can - if you shut down, you might unfortunately never get that CD back.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: