View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: XGL for KDM users in a few easy steps Reply with quote

It looks like nesl247 may be working on a new update wiki, but for the time being I will describe the procedure I got XGL working with KDM.

This setup is specific to adding a XGL session to KDM so you can choose between a regular X setup or XGL.
(This is specific to nvidia cards, its up to ATI users to make changes in the Xgl command /usr/bin/startxgl.sh as needed).

I won't go into the procedure for using layman to checkout the xgl-portage overlay, as the wiki is OK there. (http://gentoo-wiki.com/Xgl)

You must have the following packages installed: mesa, xgl, cgwd, cgwd-themes, cgwd-themes-extra, compiz-manager, compiz-quinnstorm-plugins, csm, compiz-quinnstorm.

1. If KDEWM is set in /etc/env.d/99kde-env, comment it out.

2. If you have changed the ServerCmd= in /usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/kdmrc , restore it back to default X server.

3. Create the file /usr/bin/startxgl.sh with the following:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    fontpath=`grep -i fontpath /etc/X11/xorg.conf | egrep -v "[:space:]*#" | sed "s/.\+\"\(.\+\)\"/\1,/g" | xargs echo | sed "s/\ //g" | sed "s/,\$//"`
    Xgl :1 -fullscreen -br -ac -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv -fp $fontpath &
    DISPLAY=:1 dbus-launch compiz --replace dbus csm &
    DISPLAY=:1 dbus-launch cgwd --replace &
    DISPLAY=:1 startkde

Make sure this file is executable:
    Code:
    chmod +x /usr/bin/startxgl.sh

4. Create the file /usr/share/xsessions/xgl.desktop with the following:
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=Xgl
    Comment=Start an Xgl Session
    Exec=/usr/bin/startxgl.sh
    Icon=
    Type=Application

Code:
    chmod +x /usr/share/xsessions/xgl.desktop

5. We need a local dbus daemon to run for every user, so create the file /usr/kde/3.5/env/start_dbus_session_bus.sh with the following:
    Code:
    # test for an existing bus daemon, just to be safe
    if test -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS" ; then
            # if not found, launch a new one
            eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`
    fi

Code:
    chmod +x /usr/kde/3.5/env/start_dbus_session_bus.sh

6. Now we are going to make compiz-manager start on login. Create the file ~/.kde/Autostart/start_compiz_manager.sh with the following:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    compiz-manager

Code:
    chmod +x ~/.kde/Autostart/start_compiz_manager.sh

This file can/should? be created as that user.

7. Restart X and when KDM comes up you should have a xgl session in the sessions menu of KDM that will start XGL.
    You should also have a red kicker icon where you can bring up the setting manager and the theme manager.

Currently tested and working with up to the following versions:
Code:
emerge mesa xgl cgwd cgwd-themes cgwd-themes-extra compiz-manager compiz-quinnstorm-plugins csm compiz-quinnstorm -pv

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies            ... done!
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/mesa-6.5.1_rc2  USE="-debug -doc -hardened -motif nptl" VIDEO_CARDS="-i810 -mach64 -mga -none -r128 -radeon -s3virge -savage -sis (-sunffb) -tdfx -trident -via" 0 kB [3]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-base/xgl-0.0.1_pre20060823  USE="-debug -ipv6 -xinerama" 0 kB [3]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-wm/cgwd-0.69  USE="-debug" 0 kB [3]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-misc/cgwd-themes-0.16  0 kB [3]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-misc/cgwd-themes-extra-0.3  0 kB [3]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-misc/compiz-manager-0.12  0 kB [3]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-misc/compiz-quinnstorm-plugins-0.27  0 kB [3]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-misc/csm-0.12  0 kB [3]
[ebuild   R   ] x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm-0.0.13.56  USE="-debug -gnome svg" 0 kB [3]

If you are a tvtime user and the screen looks messed up, try this option in your tvtime.xml file:
Code:
<option name="OverScan" value="0.0"/>
Timbers2k
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, using this guide I have Xgl running on KDE. I do have one question. How can I eliminate the shadows from the KDE panels? I like transparent panels, but they look kind of silly with shadows.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timbers2k wrote:
Thanks, using this guide I have Xgl running on KDE. I do have one question. How can I eliminate the shadows from the KDE panels? I like transparent panels, but they look kind of silly with shadows.

I'm not sure what you mean by panels?

Even without knowing, its probably one of the options in csm, but I couldn't say which one. There are many options in there for applying specific effects to only specific window types. (dialog, popups, etc)
Timbers2k
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by panels?

Even without knowing, its probably one of the options in csm, but I couldn't say which one. There are many options in there for applying specific effects to only specific window types. (dialog, popups, etc)

KDE Panel, or kicker. It is called panel in all the docs and dialogs in KDE. I've tried various options in CSM, but the only thing I have found that works is shutting off shadows completely, and I don't want that. I'll keep trying, it must be something non-obvious.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What part of kicker? The entire kicker bar, the window taskbar, the applets icons?

The only part of kicker I have that seems to have shadows is the pop-up tool tips.

For some changes you might have to reload the window manager or window decorator which can be done from the red compiz-manager kicker icon.

Edit: Are you using a kdelibs that has the ksystemtray-xgl.patch patch? (Either kdelibs from KIP project or xgl-portage overlay)
Timbers2k
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The entire kicker panel, or bar has a shadow. That is the one I'm trying to get rid of. It's not obvious if you don't use transparency in the panel, but with it it looks ugly.

Try this:
Right click on panel -> select Appearance tab -> At the bottom, select Enable Transparency -> Go to Advanced options -> Set tint amount to minimum.

With non-Xgl KDE this results in panels that disappear, leaving only the icons and menus. Looks nice. With Xgl, the shadows spoil the effect. I know that way back when, when compiz first came out, there was a command line option to disable the shadows on non-managed windows, like the panel, but I can't find my old notes.

Thanks,
Tim

EDIT: No, I'm using the standard kdelibs. Should I be using one of the others?
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, didn't look bad, the shadow was so minimal.
I thought maybe it was my background picture that might minimize the effect so I switched to a single color background and same thing.
Its hard to say if mine is different from yours, or its just difference in our tastes. I'm not sure what the xgl-systemtray patches changes.

Could you post a screenshot so I could see what it looks like on yours?
beatryder
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timbers2k wrote:
The entire kicker panel, or bar has a shadow. That is the one I'm trying to get rid of. It's not obvious if you don't use transparency in the panel, but with it it looks ugly.

Try this:
Right click on panel -> select Appearance tab -> At the bottom, select Enable Transparency -> Go to Advanced options -> Set tint amount to minimum.

With non-Xgl KDE this results in panels that disappear, leaving only the icons and menus. Looks nice. With Xgl, the shadows spoil the effect. I know that way back when, when compiz first came out, there was a command line option to disable the shadows on non-managed windows, like the panel, but I can't find my old notes.

Thanks,
Tim

You can use the "state" plugin I beleive to set dock windows to no shaddow. I had the same problem, and that worked well for me.
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush, the mentioned wiki was created as of yesterday at: http://wiki.gentoo-xeffects.org If you find anything missing for KDE please tell me.

Thank you,
nesl247
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nesl247 wrote:
Headrush, the mentioned wiki was created as of yesterday at: http://wiki.gentoo-xeffects.org If you find anything missing for KDE please tell me.

Thank you,
nesl247

Yes, I created this before that was up, it is just moved from a different thread since someone said it was hard to find in the middle of the previous thread.

The method described above allows changing between XGL and the normal X server. The wiki method makes it use XGL all the time. (Some users may like the option to choose.)

I think it isn't clear from the first page that clicking the "XGL" link will go to the installing instructions.
The first time I looked at the page, I assumed it was a link to more XGL background info and assumed, incorrectly :wink: , that you hadn't put up the installing pages yet. I also think separate pages would be better for startx, gdm, kdm. Some users just can't seem to follow instructions for their method only and mess around with it all. (But just a suggestion, I have no problems with it.)
Timbers2k
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatryder wrote:
Timbers2k wrote:

Try this:

Thanks,
Tim

You can use the "state" plugin I beleive to set dock windows to no shaddow. I had the same problem, and that worked well for me.

Can you tell me how to do that? The state plugin has the "String Lists" that must be entered, but I don't know what to add where. I do want to set dock windows to no shadow, but don't find that option.
Janax
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nesl247 wrote:

Thank you,
nesl247

I got an error when trying to go to the site:

Code:

Fatal error: Call to a member function getNamespace() on a non-object in /var/www/gentoo-xeffects.org/htdocs/mediawiki/extensions/xyRequireEditorPrivilege.php on line 45

nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me a few minutes. I'm modifying an extension which is preventing the modification of Special:Mypage.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The error is probably temporary as the site worked minutes ago. (probably changing something)
robbyjo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've followed your guide, but it seems that all of my applications hang up (it shows the window, but it freezes). The only one working is Mozilla Firefox (it's the binary package). Would anyone help? Thanks. :)
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbyjo wrote:
Well, I've followed your guide, but it seems that all of my applications hang up (it shows the window, but it freezes). The only one working is Mozilla Firefox (it's the binary package). Would anyone help? Thanks. :)

If the cgwd window manager fails, I'm not sure why one app would cause it to fail and not another.
Can you test other non-KDE apps? Seems weird.

You can use cms and compiz-manager (red kicker icon) to set that kwin starts if compiz fails for some reason.
robbyjo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Headrush, thanks for your reply, but my Konsole is completely frozen. The only time I can invoke console is by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1 and login there. Compiz-Setting-Manager tray icon shows up, but when I click it, it shows up but it doesn't respond to any click / keystroke or anything. The only thing I can do is to move around the window.

I already get the XGL running, but gconf-editor doesn't show any compiz options. I already typed the command in the guide:
Code:
 # export GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE="xml:merged:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults"
 # gconftool-2 --makefile-install-rule /etc/gconf/schemas/compiz.schemas

but it doesn't work.

The program csm doesn't work either. The only thing that works is "dbus-launch compiz-manager" (before I restarted the xdm) and it gives me the Compiz-Setting-Manager. I kept everything default, so I think I don't need to change anything else.

I did everything in these sections:
* startx (for startx users;)
* XDM (generic graphical login system)

And for the KDE part, I followed your guide.

The problem is, that after I restarted xdm (and even rebooted), things behaved like this: Every app is frozen except Mozilla-Firefox-Bin. KDE and non-kde apps are dead. I can't even invoke console. :(

Thanks for your help.
robbyjo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Konqueror as file browser works fine, but Konqueror as a web browser freeze.
KControlCenter works fine.
KWord froze.
Gnome Calculator freeze.
Open-Office 2.0-bin Impress works fine.
Konsole and Gnome Console freeze.
Eclipse 3.2 freeze.
Gvim freeze.

I'll try to revdep-rebuild.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you haven't modified files using the previous wiki methods that are still being used? (kdmrc for example)
robbyjo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already reverted the modification of kdmrc and 99kde-env as you said. Restarting xdm doesn't work. I already tried recompiling nvidia-drivers and rmmod and modprobe it and restarted xdm, but it still doesn't work.

The hard part is that I don't have a GUI-based console right now. Even the run dialog freezes. I don't know what to do.

BTW, KPDF runs fine until I press open file dialog (it froze right up).
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiki is back up. I'm going to do maintenance at night from now on.
robbyjo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, nesl247. I find the guide in the WIKI is confusing. It would be great if the explanation is simplified.
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbyjo: You mean the http://wiki.gentoo-xeffects.org is confusing? If so how?
robbyjo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, pardon me. I thought you mentioned about http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_XGL
robbyjo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nesl, I tried the guide at your site and it didn't work. (Freezes Konsole, only Mozilla-Firefox works, just like the above).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: