Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Grub Error Collection [Part 6]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JHe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after playing around with the Grub config file I found that setting root to (hd0,1) gets the system start loading, but now I getting a Kernelpanic message:

kernel panic: not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown -block(0,0)
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Grub error 17, and screen looking a bit messed up Reply with quote

[mod]Merged previous 4 posts here.[/mod]

Hi.

Your correct grub.conf file is:
Code:
default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,1)/boot/grub/spash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.17-r4
root (hd,1)
kernel /boot/2.6.17-gentoo-r4 root=/dev/sda6

JHe wrote:
after playing around with the Grub config file I found that setting root to (hd0,1) gets the system start loading, but now I getting a Kernelpanic message:
Code:
kernel panic: not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown -block(0,0)

That means that you failed to compile the driver for your storage controller into the kernel <*> and not as a module <M>. Look at the output of lspci to identify your storage controller and then make sure to compile its driver into the kernel.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
JHe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I checked out lspci and the IDE controller for my hard drive shows up as:
00:1F.2 IDE Interface: Intel Corp 82801FBM (ICH6M) Sata Controller

Aha... I forgot to add SCSI cdrom and disk support... I'll see what happens after I recompile the kernel. :oops:
JHe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hey it worked! :lol: now all I need to do is fix the networking stuff. Thanks jmbsvicetto!
jorges
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Grub loading, please wait... (SOLVED: sharing my experience) Reply with quote

Hi all,
I spent the last two days troubleshooting this issue. It's been so painfull that I decided this might be of use for somebody else.
My setup is as follows:

Asus A6Kt notebook (Turion MT-34, 100 GB ide HD). I had a dual boot (my wife still depends on windows) Windows XP and Gentoo amd64, using GRUB as the boot loader. Everything worked beatifully (except windows, of course :wink:).

I can't recall exactly what happened, but I think windows started crashing every 10 minutes and so I decided it was time for doing a fresh install of it. After finishing w/ windows, I used a gentoo livecd to reinstall grub to the MBR. To my surprise, I couldn't boot the system after that, having the message:
Code:
Grub loading, please wait
and the system hung.

After searching through the forums, googling around, reading grub's manual, etc., I tried two things at the same time (I still don't know which one solved the problem) that gave me back my gentoo: Moved /boot from /dev/hda7 (logical partition) where it worked for 6 months or so to /dev/hda2 (primary partition) AND used the option --force-lba when seting up grub.

The main reason for doing these two things, apart from the fact that nothing else worked (compile w/ clean CFLAGS, change boot order, reinstall a couple of versions of grub), is that the windows XP partition changed from FAT32 to NTFS in the process, and that the BIOS doesn't have an option to force LBA mode (just disable it or auto). The BIOS hasn't been updated, so the only thing that changed was the type of the first partition on the disk. Is this the reason? I'm no expert, but the help in the BIOS says something strange (I can't recall it exactly now) about this option depending on the format of the disk ????. Maybe GRUB stopped recognizing the disk as LBA, but how dit it do before?

So that's it. I guess not many will be brave enough to read up to this point of the post, but maybe I am wrong and there's a guy somewhere that will find this usefull. I realize this could be 100 times clearer, but I am depending on memory and right now I AM tired. Contact me for any question you might have regarding what I did.

jorges

EDIT 02-SEP-06
Today I tried again to put GRUB into /dev/hda7. I used the same kernel, same config (only changing root (hd0,1) to root (hd0,6)), same version of grub, same option setting up GRUB (--force-lba) and... it didn't work. So now I know that the --force-lba option is not the solution. I know GRUB is supposed to work on any partition, but for some reason it doesn't like my /dev/hda7. What is weird is that I had gentoo working for 6 months booting precisely from here.
I paste the partitioning scheme for reference:
Code:
Disk /dev/hda: 100.0 GB, 100030242816 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 193821 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *           1       21309    10739421    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2           21309       25293     2008125   83  Linux
/dev/hda3           25293       29278     2008125   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hda4           29278      193816    82927530    5  Extended
/dev/hda5           29278       69010    20024991   83  Linux
/dev/hda6           69010      108742    20024991   83  Linux
/dev/hda7          108742      108854       56196   83  Linux
/dev/hda8          108854      193816    42821226    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)

Last edited by jorges on Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jorges,

I don't understand how either of those things helped.
Grub is quite happy to boot off of any partition, with the caveat that you must reinstall grub to the MBR is you move /boot.

There are two schemes for addressing hard drives, LBA and C/H/S (Cylinder, Head, Sector). However C/H/S has a size limit of 8Gb - its not an option if your drive is bigger than that. The kernel will use LBA regardless of any BIOS settings.
I doubt your hard drive is smaller than 8Gb.

I will hazard a guess that it was setting the bootable flag on the boot partition or the windows partition (or both) that fixed it. Some BIOSes are very fussy about that - others don't check.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
jorges
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:

I don't understand how either of those things helped.
Grub is quite happy to boot off of any partition, with the caveat that you must reinstall grub to the MBR is you move /boot.

Well, I don't claim to understand it either. I thought posting what happened might help to find the cause of the problem.

Quote:

There are two schemes for addressing hard drives, LBA and C/H/S (Cylinder, Head, Sector). However C/H/S has a size limit of 8Gb - its not an option if your drive is bigger than that. The kernel will use LBA regardless of any BIOS settings.
I doubt your hard drive is smaller than 8Gb.

The hard drive is 80 GB, the first (ntfs for windows) partition is 10 GB.

Quote:

I will hazard a guess that it was setting the bootable flag on the boot partition or the windows partition (or both) that fixed it. Some BIOSes are very fussy about that - others don't check.

Nope. At least I don't think so. No partitioning was done between several previous unsuccessful attempts and the final one. Wait, maybe there's something: I changed the filesystem on the last, successful, attempt, from fat32LBA to ext2fs (done under linux using mke2fs /dev/hda2). What about the --force-lba option when seting up grub? Couldn't it be that for some misterious reason the BIOS was not detecting the drive as LBA (or GRUB itself failing to recognize it). It wouldn't be the first buggy BIOS seen around, I think. I will check about the boot flag later on and report the current state of the partition table.

jorges
TRStephens
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I'm completely new to the whole Linux environment, so bear with me. I downloaded the 2006.0 AMD64 install CD a few months ago and over the past day have had no luck with the setup. I've followed the handbook to the letter, yet for the third time I've been stuck at the "Loading Grub 1.5" and the system hanging. I always thought I was very good with computers, but it turns out only with Windows, I'm completely stumped in Linux.

I've changed the BIOS booting to prevent the floppy drive, I've added the parameters to CFLAGS (-02 -frame-pointer e.t.c) . On top of that, I have no idea how to edit files obviously coming from a DOS/Windows background, what I mean is that when I try the whole nano -w thing with grub.conf, it claims not to exist so to make changes I end up going through the whole handbook again just to access the relevant files. Is this because putting the CD in ignores everything else or do you have to mount things first, or something along those lines?

I've heard about the great things Linux has to offer, but if I can't fix it by the end of tomorrow evening, I'll be going back to Windows. Any advice would be greatly appeciated, thank you all for your time in advance. Oh, I did remember to change all references of hda to sda as I have two SATA drives. Everything else I simply copied because I don't yet know the Linux language. If you want me to post a list of something, unfortunately you'll have to tell me how to first. :oops:

Specification if it helps at all.
AMD64 3500+
2x 80Gb SATA RAID0
GeForce 6800GT
2x 512mb RAM
Polarina
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRStephens wrote:
Hello everyone, I'm completely new to the whole Linux environment, so bear with me. I downloaded the 2006.0 AMD64 install CD a few months ago and over the past day have had no luck with the setup. I've followed the handbook to the letter, yet for the third time I've been stuck at the "Loading Grub 1.5" and the system hanging. I always thought I was very good with computers, but it turns out only with Windows, I'm completely stumped in Linux.

I've changed the BIOS booting to prevent the floppy drive, I've added the parameters to CFLAGS (-02 -frame-pointer e.t.c) . On top of that, I have no idea how to edit files obviously coming from a DOS/Windows background, what I mean is that when I try the whole nano -w thing with grub.conf, it claims not to exist so to make changes I end up going through the whole handbook again just to access the relevant files. Is this because putting the CD in ignores everything else or do you have to mount things first, or something along those lines?

I've heard about the great things Linux has to offer, but if I can't fix it by the end of tomorrow evening, I'll be going back to Windows. Any advice would be greatly appeciated, thank you all for your time in advance. Oh, I did remember to change all references of hda to sda as I have two SATA drives. Everything else I simply copied because I don't yet know the Linux language. If you want me to post a list of something, unfortunately you'll have to tell me how to first. :oops:

Specification if it helps at all.
AMD64 3500+
2x 80Gb SATA RAID0
GeForce 6800GT
2x 512mb RAM

Did you forgot to unmount your boot partition?
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRStephens wrote:
I've been stuck at the "Loading Grub 1.5" and the system hanging.

Can you explain a little more how you have things configured ?
    Gentoo only / Dual boot with Windows / Some other OS
    Individual harddrives / BIOS configured RAID / Linux kernel RAID
    Manual installation / GLI automated installation
    ... anything else you think is relevant

ps. Welcome to the Gentoo Forums
TRStephens
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to go for Linux solely by itself to see if I could get by with it, I had already checked the games and programs I use were compatible. I restarted my computer with Windows still on it, but I assume the partitioning stage would have formatted it. I could of course be horribly wrong. Gentoo only, two SATA drives as RAID0, manual installation using stage3 on the CD, downloaded portage snapshot from the mirrors, all the command line stuff from the AMD64 handbook. I either get stuck on the Grub loading section or go back to what I perceive as the beginning if I put the CD back in. I'm currently using another computer to write this. I hope that this information is sufficient.
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRStephens,

one of the distinct features of Linux is that you can use the installer to get back to your system and recover it.
The initial steps that you've done when installing the system, can be used to get back to it. After booting with the live-cd, you need to mount your partiitons. Unlike the install, you don't want to partition the disk or format the partitions - that would destroy your data. You can mount your partitions under /mnt/gentoo if that's easier for you.
NeddySeagoon wrote a very useful chroot guide.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRStephens wrote:
two SATA drives as RAID0

This is probably the part that is throwing you for a loop.

Setting up Linux compatible RAID is quite different than setting up Windows compatible RAID, and in both cases, setting up the bootloader requires a few extra steps / tricks compared to setting up the bootloader on a single harddrive.

ps. The RAID setup utility in the BIOS is used to setup Windows compatible arrays. You should disable this, and use mdadm instead for a Linux-only installation.
TRStephens
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that, it will certainly help reduce time spent fiddling with that command prompt. In the link you provided, I assume <fstype> is /dev/sda3 and /dev/sda1 in my case? I am still uncertain as to why it hangs, but I'll start posting logs of various files tomorrow, as it's the early hours of the morning. Anything I should post in particular?

I've just read the post that came in as I write this concerning RAID. Is there anyway I can leave the BIOS RAID setting, in case I use a dual-boot or revert back to Windows? I'd rather not fiddle with BIOS, or as little as possible.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRStephens wrote:
Is there anyway I can leave the BIOS RAID setting, in case I use a dual-boot or revert back to Windows?

Yes, search the forums for dmraid. This will allow you to boot from a Windows compatible array.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRStephens,

There is an incompatibility between the dmraid in Gentoo and the latest kernels. If you want to use dmraid without fighting with it, use a 2.6.15 kernel. When you understand a little more (or dmraid is fixed) you can upgrade them both.

If you still want to try linux, tell Windows to leave some unpartitioned space if /when you reinstall it, then you can dual boot and make the switch slowly. Eventually, your Windows space can be reused inside your Linux install.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
TRStephens
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll re-install Windows, but leave a partition to fiddle about with in future. I've read that Gentoo is a more advanced distribution, so have I thrown myself in the deep end by choosing this variant of Linux and in future should I choose a more beginner level one until I'm used to it? Thank you for your time. :D
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRStephens,

Gentoo exposes all the controls and demands that you make choices for yourself.
Binary distros hide many of the controls and make a lot of the choices for you.

You need to think about what you want from your Linux.
Is it just to use or do you want to know how it works too?
It its just to use (like windows) any binary distro will do you.
If you want to learn about Linux, Gentoo is hard to beat. Coming to Gentoo as a Linux noob means you have a lot to learn. Unfortunately, other distros do not help a great deal because of the way they hide things.

Good luck with your Linux, whatever distro you choose. If you don't need Linux right now, immedately, and have some spare time to learn and the motivation, Linux noobs can install Gentoo. Don't let the learning put you off, just be prepared for it.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Vieri
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: error 22: no such partition Reply with quote

Would just like to point out a special grub error case related to the use of EVMS:

error 22: no such partition when installing grub to MBR

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-484127-highlight-evms+issues.html

Corrections/suggestions appreciated, if any.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRStephens,

dmraid 1.0.0-rc12 appeared in my emerge --sync this morning.
That should may BIOS raid users happy - it works with kernels > 2.6.15

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
aero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: grub installation error 17 Reply with quote

I've been struggling with a grub issue in a new install on a amd64 system with the 2006.1 live cd. I have 4 hard drives (all SATA)of which I am using one for Gentoo. When ever I try to boot into Gentoo I get error 17, can't boot into windows either.

Here are some details:

output from fdisk -l (my comments start with // and are not part of fdisk -l output)
Code:

Disk /dev/sda: 164.6 GB, 164696555520 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 20023 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sda1   *           1       20023   160834716    7  HPFS/NTFS

//THIS IS REALLY AN NTFS PARTITION. NOT SURE WHY IT SHOWS UP AS EFI GPT
Disk /dev/sdb: 164.6 GB, 164696555520 bytes
256 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19945 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16128 * 512 = 8257536 bytes

/dev/sdb1               1      266306  2147483647+  ee  EFI GPT

//THIS IS AN NTFS PARTITION WITH WINDOWS 2003 SERVER INSTALLED
Disk /dev/sdc: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders

/dev/sdc1   *           1       14592   117210208+   7  HPFS/NTFS

//THIS IS WHERE GENTOO IS INSTALLED. /boot is /dev/sdd1 and / is /dev/sdd3
Disk /dev/sdd: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
/dev/sdd1   *           1           7       56196   83  Linux
/dev/sdd2               8        1253    10008495   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sdd3            1254       14593   107153550   83  Linux

here is the output from my /boot/grub/device.map file:

Code:

(fd0)   /dev/fd0
(hd0)   /dev/sda
(hd1)   /dev/sdb
(hd2)   /dev/sdc
(hd3)   /dev/sdd
(hd4)   /dev/sde

here is the output from my /boot/grub/grub.conf file:

Code:

#
# Sample boot menu configuration file
#

# Boot automatically after 30 secs.
timeout 30

#splashimage=(hd3,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

# By default, boot the first entry.
default 0

# Fallback to the second entry.
fallback 1

# For booting GNU/Linux
title  GNU/Linux
root (hd3,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.17-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/sdd3
#initrd /initrd.img

# For booting Windows NT or Windows95
title Windows NT / Windows 95 boot menu
rootnoverify (hd2,0)
makeactive
chainloader  +1
# For loading DOS if Windows NT is installed
# chainload /bootsect.dos

# For installing GRUB into the hard disk
title Install GRUB into the hard disk
root    (hd3,0)
setup   (hd3)

# Change the colors.
title Change the colors
color light-green/brown blink-red/blue

The hardware I am using is AMD ATHLON 64 X2 on an Asus A8NSLI motherboard with 2 gb of ram. I've turned off raid on the mother board.

I appreciate any insight you guys can have.

Thanks. :)
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: grub installation error 17 Reply with quote

aero wrote:
here is the output from my /boot/grub/device.map file:
Code:

(fd0)   /dev/fd0
(hd0)   /dev/sda
(hd1)   /dev/sdb
(hd2)   /dev/sdc
(hd3)   /dev/sdd
(hd4)   /dev/sde

I appreciate any insight you guys can have.

Your device map is wrong. How's that for insight :)

When you are installing GRUB, it cannot consult the BIOS to get the boot order, so GRUB guesses, and writes the results into the device.map file.

At boot time, GRUB gets its info (including the boot order) directly from the BIOS, and the device.map file is not used.

So, if the guessed boot order and the true boot order do not match, you will have problems.
aero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: grub installation error 17 Reply with quote

Quote:

When you are installing GRUB, it cannot consult the BIOS to get the boot order, so GRUB guesses, and writes the results into the device.map file.

At boot time, GRUB gets its info (including the boot order) directly from the BIOS, and the device.map file is not used.

So, if the guessed boot order and the true boot order do not match, you will have problems.

Is there any way to check the boot order at bootup and see what the true boot order looks like?
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: grub installation error 17 Reply with quote

aero wrote:
Is there any way to check the boot order at bootup and see what the true boot order looks like?

Yes.

When you get to the GRUB menu, press "c" to get a command line, then use GRUB's tab-completion feature to find the drive and partition you are looking for.
Code:
grub> root (hd<press tab>     this will list available harddrives
grub> root (hd0,<press tab>     this will list partition(s) and filesystem(s) on the first drive
grub> root (hd1,<press tab>     ditto for the second harddrive
grub> ...

ps. The harddrive that you booted from will always be called (hd0), the rest can vary depending on the BIOS implementation.
aero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: grub installation error 17 Reply with quote

cyrillic wrote:
aero wrote:

Yes.

When you get to the GRUB menu, press "c" to get a command line, then use GRUB's tab-completion feature to find the drive and partition you are looking for.
Code:
grub> root (hd<press tab>     this will list available harddrives
grub> root (hd0,<press tab>     this will list partition(s) and filesystem(s) on the first drive
grub> root (hd1,<press tab>     ditto for the second harddrive
grub> ...

ps. The harddrive that you booted from will always be called (hd0), the rest can vary depending on the BIOS implementation.

Thanks a lot for your help. I did manage to get past identifying the kernel, root partition. Now it's stuck at
Code:

SRAT: PXM 0 -> APIC 0 -> Node 0
SRAT: PXM 0 -> APIC 1 -> Node 0 to 100000000 @ 8000-8000

and it won't go any further..Any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: