xen domi scripts
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wizard69
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: xen domi scripts Reply with quote

i successfully install XEN3 on gentoo which works fine. First i tried the pre built images from jailtime.org (fedora5,debian3.1) which worked fine. Then i started looking at the domi scripts in portage for suse, fedora, debian and gentoo installs on an lvm volume. Which sounded nice resizing take snapshots of dom-U systems and more. At first i tried fedora which did not boot and then i moved on to debian. Debian sarge and etch also did not boot failed to create /dev/xvda then i tried debian sid which booted out of the box and created all devices. Gentoo also works fine with the domi scripts but i would like to be able to install fedora5 and debian sarge from the domi scripts on an lvm. Perhaps someone has a clue what the problem is missing package or kernel misconfiguration. At the moment i am without a clue especialy after seeing debian sid boot without a glitch. What other ways are there to install guest os's under XEN? Does anyone have some experience with XEN in a productive enviroment.
wizard69
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the error i recieve tring to boot Debian Sarge from an lvm partition with the domi-scripts as i stated in my first posting Debian Sid boots fine. So i am sure i must be missing a package on the Debain Sarge Guest.

Code:

INIT: version 2.86 booting
Activating swap.

The device node /dev/xvda1 for the root filesystem is missing,
incorrect, or there is no entry for the root filesystem
listed in /etc/fstab.

The system is also unable to create a temporary node in
/dev/shm to use as a work-around.

This means you have to fix this manually.

CONTROL-D will exit from this shell and REBOOT the system.

wizard69
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got Debian Sarge to boot a bit further by adding hotplug, udev and libdevmapper to the package section in the domi-debian config file. But now it hangs on

Code:

Setting the System Clock using the Hardware Clock as reference...
System Clock set. Local time: Thu Sep 14 15:05:09 UTC 2006

Recovering nvi editor sessions... done.

it just stops booting here and freezes anyone seen this happen.
wizard69
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have sort of solved the problem i downloaded a disk image from jailtime.org. Mounted it on /dev/loop0 mounted loop0 in a directory and copied the content to the lvm device. Changed the Xen start script and booted the system everything works fine. This didn't change the situation that the domi scripts only work for me with gentoo and debian-sid. But at least i have a working debian-sarge and fedora-core5 guest on an lvm device.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: