Using TDFX_RISKY to force DRI on Voodoo, Voodoo3 at high res
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peripatetic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:48 am    Post subject: Using TDFX_RISKY to force DRI on Voodoo, Voodoo3 at high res Reply with quote

This isn't documented but people might find it useful. If you use a voodoo3 or less with <=16MB, and you run your desktop at greater than 1024x768, XFree disables your DRI. For those of us who just want our GL screensavers to work, it's darned annoying. See bug #15001 for a more detailed description of this problem.

The good news is that for xfree-4.3.0-r2, there's an easy way to disable this "feature."

Code:
TDFX_RISKY="yes" emerge xfree

However, there's a typo in the ebuild where a '$' was mistakenly entered as a '#'. See bug #19812 for a patch or just fire up your editor and fix it yourself before emerging.

As the variable name implies, doing this is a bit risky. So if you're going to play unreal 2 at 2048x1280 or something then you're pressing your luck. But this should allow you to run your desktop at whatever res you want and still enjoy an occasional game of tuxracer.

Last edited by Peripatetic on Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Using TDFX_RISKY to force DRI on Voodoos Reply with quote

Peripatetic wrote:
If you use a voodoo3 or less with <=16MB, and you run your desktop at greater than 1024x768, XFree disables your DRI.

Holy crap! No frickin wonder. I stole my gf's GForce 3 card (well, I gave her a 20 gig hd for it) and stuck in a VooDoo3 for her since she didn't play games that much. Well, now she wants to. Well, guess who couldn't figure out how in the hell to make it work, lol. I read so much junk trying to get it working, but it never did (and I took a lot of crap for 'stealing' her card). That one sentence thats quoted fixed everything. She was running at 1280x1024. Unfortunatly, she uses (and likes) Redhat so I can't just emerge xfree with that option. She'll just have to deal with a lower resolution if she wants games.. which means I'll still get crap for stealing her card. Haha, oh well.
Raoul_Duke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who wants DRI on their voodoo3 card without upgrading to xfree 4.3 can adjust their XF86Config to show 32mb video ram instead of the correct 16mb. Worked for me but isn't 100% stable :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: