Multiple domains on postfix + postgresql mail server[SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thingee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Multiple domains on postfix + postgresql mail server[SOLVED] Reply with quote

I'm currently running a mailserver that has the list of domains and mailboxes in a sql db. The first domain, example.com works fine in sending and receiving email. I set the next domain up, example.net. After getting example.net all setup with postfixadmin and sending an email to user@example.net from my gmail account I get an error email back from the gmail daemon saying:

Quote:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

user@example.net

Technical details of permanent failure:
PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 553 Mail relay turned off

I checked /var/log/messages but that never mentions anything about example.net. It reports all activity involving example.com just fine. My question is basically how do I get example.net to work with my mailsever?

Here is my main.cf

Code:

queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
command_directory = /usr/sbin
daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix
mail_owner = postfix
myhostname = host.example.com
mydomain = example.com
myorigin = $mydomain
mydestination =
#inet_interfaces = all
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
mynetworks_style = host
alias_maps = hash:/etc/mail/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/mail/aliases
home_mailbox = .maildir/
default_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
local_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
debugger_command =
         PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
         xxgdb $daemon_directory/$process_name $process_id & sleep 5
sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
setgid_group = postdrop
html_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.3.0/html
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
sample_directory = /etc/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.3.0/readme

virtual_mailbox_base = /home/vmail
virtual_mailbox_domains = pgsql:/etc/postfix/pgsql/pgsql-virtual-domains.cf
virtual_mailbox_maps = pgsql:/etc/postfix/pgsql/pgsql-virtual-maps.cf
virtual_uid_maps = pgsql:/etc/postfix/pgsql/pgsql-virtual-uid.cf
virtual_gid_maps = pgsql:/etc/postfix/pgsql/pgsql-virtual-gid.cf
virtual_alias_maps = pgsql:/etc/postfix/pgsql/pgsql-virtual.cf

smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous
smtpd_sasl_local_domain = $myhostname
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
        permit_sasl_authenticated,
        permit_mynetworks,
        check_relay_domains

The bunny ends here...

Last edited by Thingee on Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Thingee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to telnet through port 25 to example.net and got the following...

Code:

telnet example.net 25
Trying XX.XX.XXX.XXX...
Connected to host.example.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 host.example.com ESMTP Postfix

So it is connecting fine to example.com through port 25. Still have no clue why I am not getting any errors in /var/log/messages.
The bunny ends here...
magic919
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the problem is not with your mail server. Nothing in your logs and Gmail bounce. You sure DNS is fine for example.net?
.:chrome:.
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Multiple domains on postfix + postgresql mail server Reply with quote

you must create a table, in your database, for all your local domains.
then you have to add, in your postfix configuration, for a query for local domains:

/etc/postfix/main.cf wrote:

relay_domains = pgsql:/etc/postfix/pgsql/relay_maps.cf

/etc/postfix/pgsql/relay_maps.cf wrote:

hosts=***.***.***.***
dbname=********
table=********
user=********
password=********
select_field=********
where_field=********
additional_conditions = and backupmx = 'true' and active = 'true'
Thingee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

magic919 wrote:
It looks like the problem is not with your mail server. Nothing in your logs and Gmail bounce. You sure DNS is fine for example.net?

Well currently example.net has email pointing to this mail server and web stuff pointing to my web server. The webserver is working fine, and the telnet pointed to the right mail server from the domain.
The bunny ends here...
Thingee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Multiple domains on postfix + postgresql mail server Reply with quote

k.gothmog wrote:
you must create a table, in your database, for all your local domains.
then you have to add, in your postfix configuration, for a query for local domains:

/etc/postfix/main.cf wrote:

relay_domains = pgsql:/etc/postfix/pgsql/relay_maps.cf

/etc/postfix/pgsql/relay_maps.cf wrote:

hosts=***.***.***.***
dbname=********
table=********
user=********
password=********
select_field=********
where_field=********

Isn't that what virtual_mailbox_domains on my main.cf is for? The table has example.com and example.net and /etc/postfix/pgsql/pgsql-virtual-domains.cf shows the following..

Code:

#
# pgsql-virtual-domains.cf
#
# Postfix virtual_mailbox_domains
# Postfix is final destination for the specified list of domains. Mail
# is delivered via the virtual_transport mail delivery transport.
#

user            = postfix
password       = XXXXXX
dbname          = postfix
hosts           = host
table           = domain
select_field    = description
where_field     = domain

The bunny ends here...
.:chrome:.
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Multiple domains on postfix + postgresql mail server Reply with quote

did you have tried with telnet?

telnet localhost 25
etc...
Thingee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Multiple domains on postfix + postgresql mail server Reply with quote

k.gothmog wrote:
did you have tried with telnet?

telnet localhost 25
etc...

Yes. That was actually my second post on this topic :P. Like I said, this mail server works with example.com which is set in main.cf, but when I add example.net onto the domain table and email user@example.net I have no luck.
The bunny ends here...
magic919
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If nothing is appearing in your mail logs then how can it be your mail server that has the problem? If Gmail has tried to send it then Postfix would log the rejection.
Thingee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magic919 wrote:
If nothing is appearing in your mail logs then how can it be your mail server that has the problem? If Gmail has tried to send it then Postfix would log the rejection.

So what would you advise that I do? I'm really stumped on this one if I don't have logs to refer to. The logs aren't even logging any mail coming from my gmail account to user@example.net.
The bunny ends here...
Thingee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried messing with it today and still didn't have any luck. If it helps anyone, I followed this guide to get my first domain working: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Email:_A_Complete_Virtual_System
The bunny ends here...
magic919
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Postfix normally write to your logs?

Do you see any sign of this in your logs?

If the answers are No and No then why do you think this is your mail server at fault?
Thingee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magic919 wrote:
Does Postfix normally write to your logs?

Do you see any sign of this in your logs?

If the answers are No and No then why do you think this is your mail server at fault?

Postfix is currently writing to /var/log/messages for example.com. If someone logs in the through pop3, squirrelmail for example.com, it logs it. If somebody sends or gets an email it logs it for example.com. However, example.net shows no sign of either of these on the log. And it doesn't create the .maildir for the example.net so I know it is not getting anything for example.net. Currently all users are stored in the home directory "vmail". So for a user on example.com it would be /home/vmail/example.com/USERNAME/.maildir. However, this never gets created for example.net. And since I know this gets created automatically by postfix when it gets its first email for that user, I know its not working correctly because of something I did.
The bunny ends here...
magic919
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postfix writes all the standard activities to the syslog.

POP3 and all that are nothing to do with Postfix.

If Postfix was incorrectly configured for example.net then it would refuse email for example.net or bounce email for example.net or accept it and stick it in a deferred queue if there was some other funky config.

Your logs show NOTHING.

The other MTA is not even trying your server.

If the other MTA did try your server it would be in your logs.

It cannot be your mail server if you have nothing in your logs. It does not mean that Postfix does not know how to log for just that domain. There is nothing happening at your mail server.

If you can send an email from another SMTP server you have visibility of then do that and watch those logs to see why it fails.
Thingee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magic919 wrote:
Postfix writes all the standard activities to the syslog.

POP3 and all that are nothing to do with Postfix.

If Postfix was incorrectly configured for example.net then it would refuse email for example.net or bounce email for example.net or accept it and stick it in a deferred queue if there was some other funky config.

Your logs show NOTHING.

The other MTA is not even trying your server.

If the other MTA did try your server it would be in your logs.

It cannot be your mail server if you have nothing in your logs. It does not mean that Postfix does not know how to log for just that domain. There is nothing happening at your mail server.

If you can send an email from another SMTP server you have visibility of then do that and watch those logs to see why it fails.

First of all thanks for helping me on this magic919. I'm don't mean to be arguing that my mail server is the problem. I'm just telling you what I know and see.

I don't have any other SMTP server but this one. I know the DNS is all setup correctly because doing telnet to example.net through port 25 goes to my mail server. What else could be my problem?
The bunny ends here...
magic919
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about me. I could have just cruised on by after all :-)

telnet example.net 25 proves little regarding suitable DNS set up for an MTA. From the point of view of a mail server it only cares about MX records. You could have a domain and point that to an IP but you'll get no email.

Stick your domain on this site http://www.dnsreport.com/ and check it. Pay particular attention to the MX section.
Thingee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey sorry for the long time before a reply back. I've been busy at work and school x_X.

Alright, thanks to checking the DNS information, I found that the spam server was not redirecting to the mail server afterwards. After fixing this I sent out another email I got another relay access denied, but this time from the spam server. I set mynetworks_style to subnet and now the mail server accepts the connection from the spam server. Now the .maildir is not being created for the user. I'm reading the system log and it shows the email coming in from the spam server but it never creates /home/vmail/example.net/USERNAME/.maildir

I read throught the system log but I am finding nothing useful to my problem of why the .maildir isn't being created.

Here is my system log for the email that was sent to rob@example.net...

spamphibian.example.net is the spam server
thingee@gmail.com is my current email address that is sending an email to rob@example.net
rob@example.net is the email address that I am trying to send an email to

Code:

Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: connect from spamphibian.example.net[xx.xx.xxx.xxx]
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: match_list_match: spamphibian.example.net: no match
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: match_list_match: xx.xx.xxx.xxx: no match
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: match_list_match: spamphibian.example.net: no match
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: match_list_match: xx.xx.xxx.xxx: no match
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: match_hostname: spamphibian.example.net ~? 66.0.0.0/8
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: match_hostaddr: xx.xx.xxx.xxx ~? 66.0.0.0/8
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: > spamphibian.example.net[xx.xx.xxx.xxx]: 220 eagle.example.com ESMTP Postfix
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: < spamphibian.example.net[xx.xx.xxx.xxx]: helo new-host-2
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: > spamphibian.example.net[xx.xx.xxx.xxx]: 250 eagle.example.com
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: < spamphibian.example.net[xx.xx.xxx.xxx]: mail from:<thingee@gmail.com>
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: extract_addr: input: <thingee@gmail.com>
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: smtpd_check_addr: addr=thingee@gmail.com
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: connect to subsystem private/rewrite
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: send attr request = rewrite
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: send attr rule = local
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: send attr address = thingee@gmail.com
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: private/rewrite socket: wanted attribute: flags
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: input attribute name: flags
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: input attribute value: 0
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: private/rewrite socket: wanted attribute: address
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: input attribute name: address
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: input attribute value: thingee@gmail.com
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: private/rewrite socket: wanted attribute: (list terminator)
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: input attribute name: (end)
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: rewrite_clnt: local: thingee@gmail.com -> thingee@gmail.com
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: send attr request = resolve
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: send attr sender =
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: send attr address = thingee@gmail.com
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: private/rewrite socket: wanted attribute: flags
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: private/rewrite socket: wanted attribute: transport
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: input attribute name: transport
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: input attribute value: smtp
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: private/rewrite socket: wanted attribute: nexthop
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: input attribute name: nexthop
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: input attribute value: gmail.com
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: private/rewrite socket: wanted attribute: recipient
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: input attribute name: recipient
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: input attribute value: thingee@gmail.com
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: input attribute value: 4096
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: private/rewrite socket: wanted attribute: (list terminator)
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: resolve_clnt: `' -> `thingee@gmail.com' -> transp=`smtp' host=`gmail.com' rcpt=`thingee@gmail.com' flags= class=default
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: ctable_locate: install entry key thingee@gmail.com
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: extract_addr: in: <thingee@gmail.com>, result: thingee@gmail.com
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: fsspace: .: block size 4096, blocks free 16733878
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: smtpd_check_queue: blocks 4096 avail 16733878 min_free 0 msg_size_limit 10240000
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: > spamphibian.example.net[xx.xx.xxx.xxx]: 250 2.1.0 Ok
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: < spamphibian.example.net[xx.xx.xxx.xxx]: rcpt to:<rob@example.net>
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: extract_addr: input: <rob@example.net>
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: smtpd_check_addr: addr=rob@example.net
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: send attr address = rob@example.net
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: private/rewrite socket: wanted attribute: address
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: input attribute value: rob@example.net
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: rewrite_clnt: local: rob@example.net -> rob@example.net
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: send attr request = resolve
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: send attr sender =
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: send attr address = rob@example.net
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: private/rewrite socket: wanted attribute: transport
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: input attribute name: transport
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: input attribute value: smtp
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: private/rewrite socket: wanted attribute: nexthop
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: input attribute name: nexthop
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: input attribute value: example.net
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: private/rewrite socket: wanted attribute: recipient
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: input attribute name: recipient
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: input attribute value: rob@example.net
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: input attribute value: 4096
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: resolve_clnt: `' -> `rob@example.net' -> transp=`smtp' host=`example.net' rcpt=`rob@example.net' fl
ags= class=default
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: ctable_locate: install entry key rob@example.net
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: extract_addr: in: <rob@example.net>, result: rob@example.net
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: send attr address = postmaster
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: input attribute value: postmaster@example.com
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: rewrite_clnt: local: postmaster -> postmaster@example.com
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: >>> START Recipient address RESTRICTIONS <<<
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: generic_checks: name=permit_sasl_authenticated
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: generic_checks: name=permit_sasl_authenticated status=0
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: generic_checks: name=permit_mynetworks
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: permit_mynetworks: spamphibian.example.net xx.xx.xxx.xxx
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: match_hostname: spamphibian.example.net ~? 66.0.0.0/8
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: match_hostaddr: xx.xx.xxx.xxx ~? 66.0.0.0/8
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: generic_checks: name=permit_mynetworks status=1
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: >>> CHECKING RECIPIENT MAPS <<<
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: ctable_locate: leave existing entry key rob@example.net
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: maps_find: recipient_canonical_maps: rob@example.net: not found
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: match_list_match: example.net: no match
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: maps_find: recipient_canonical_maps: @example.net: not found
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: mail_addr_find: rob@example.net -> (not found)
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: maps_find: canonical_maps: rob@example.net: not found
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: match_list_match: example.net: no match
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: maps_find: canonical_maps: @example.net: not found
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: mail_addr_find: rob@example.net -> (not found)
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: dict_pgsql_get_active: attempting to connect to host localhost
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: dict_pgsql: successful connection to host localhost
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: dict_pgsql: successful query from host localhost
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: dict_pgsql_lookup: retrieved 1 rows
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: maps_find: virtual_alias_maps: pgsql:/etc/postfix/pgsql/pgsql-virtual.cf(0,lock|fold_fix): rob@example.net = rob@example.net
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: mail_addr_find: rob@example.net -> rob@example.net
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: smtpd_check_rewrite: trying: permit_inet_interfaces
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: permit_inet_interfaces: spamphibian.example.net xx.xx.xxx.xxx
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: before input_transp_cleanup: cleanup flags = enable_header_body_filter enable_automatic_bcc enable_address_mapping enable_milters
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: after input_transp_cleanup: cleanup flags = enable_header_body_filter enable_automatic_bcc enable_address_mapping
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: connect to subsystem public/cleanup
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: public/cleanup socket: wanted attribute: queue_id
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: input attribute name: queue_id
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: input attribute value: 9D27083022F
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: public/cleanup socket: wanted attribute: (list terminator)
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: send attr flags = 50
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: 9D27083022F: client=spamphibian.example.net[xx.xx.xxx.xxx]
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: > spamphibian.example.net[xx.xx.xxx.xxx]: 250 2.1.5 Ok
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: < spamphibian.example.net[xx.xx.xxx.xxx]: data
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: > spamphibian.example.net[xx.xx.xxx.xxx]: 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: public/cleanup socket: wanted attribute: status
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/cleanup[11537]: 9D27083022F: message-id=<8fc5027f0609081531r378194a2rc7690f164d2a527c@mail.gmail.com>
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/qmgr[11418]: 9D27083022F: from=<thingee@gmail.com>, size=2510, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: input attribute name: status
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: public/cleanup socket: wanted attribute: reason
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: input attribute name: reason
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: input attribute value: (end)
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: public/cleanup socket: wanted attribute: (list terminator)
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: > spamphibian.example.net[xx.xx.xxx.xxx]: 250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 9D27083022F
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: < spamphibian.example.net[xx.xx.xxx.xxx]: quit
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: > spamphibian.example.net[xx.xx.xxx.xxx]: 221 2.0.0 Bye
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: disconnect from spamphibian.example.net[xx.xx.xxx.xxx]
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: master_notify: status 1
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtpd[11531]: connection closed
Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtp[11539]: 9D27083022F: to=<rob@example.net>, relay=spamphibian.example.net[xx.xx.xxx.xxx]:25, delay=0.14, delays=0.1/0.0
1/0.01/0.02, dsn=4.4.6, status=deferred (host spamphibian.example.net[xx.xx.xxx.xxx] said: 451 4.4.6 Routing loop detected (in reply to end of DATA command))

The bunny ends here...
magic919
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back :-)

Looks like your server does not think it is the final destination for rob@example.net. So it then tries to pass the message to spam gateway but realises this would just create a loop and fails with the error message about routing loop detected.

Virtual user must not be correctly set up.

This final bit tells it all.

Code:

Sep  8 23:45:40 eagle postfix/smtp[11539]: 9D27083022F: to=<rob@example.net>, relay=spamphibian.example.net[xx.xx.xxx.xxx]:25, delay=0.14, delays=0.1/0.0
1/0.01/0.02, dsn=4.4.6, status=deferred (host spamphibian.example.net[xx.xx.xxx.xxx] said: 451 4.4.6 Routing loop detected (in reply to end of DATA command))

Note that the log entry is for smtp, not smtpD. This is Postfix trying to send a message out, as an smtp client.
Thingee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup you're right. I forgot to put a trailing slash on the user rob's .maildir location row in the database. Instantly that fixed the problem, thanks again!.
The bunny ends here...
magic919
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All's well that ends well. Good to see it all sorted.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: