Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Anyone planning installing Gentoo on Nintendo Switch?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zucca
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Anyone planning installing Gentoo on Nintendo Switch? Reply with quote

... because it's now possible.
If it had GPS, it could be awesome hackable navigator device for example.

Code:
ERROR: '--failure' is not an option. Aborting...
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it completely replace the gaming functionality? A previous effort appeared to result in running Linux almost as an app of some kind. It didn't appear to prevent playing games.

I've been thinking about buying one since its release, and I have to say, when I first saw this, it made me think about it more. I suspect I'd only buy a couple of games, which makes it a pretty expensive toy.
Zucca
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I suspect I'd only buy a couple of games, which makes it a pretty expensive toy.
Hey, I've been thinking of buying this because of the new Zelda game alone.

Switch supposedly runs some variant of FreeBSD so booting the gaming UI inside the Linux host should not be impossibly difficult task (Gentoo-FreeBSD anyone?). If that comes true some day, people will see me rushing to the nearest store at near speed of light.

Code:
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zelda for me as well. (I quit paying attention with Ocarina and don't recall the ones between it and the original).

Metroid is one I'm waiting to see. I suppose I probably ought to buy a console so I have whatever flaws allow it to be used for something else.
ChrisJumper
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone planning installing Gentoo on Nintendo Switch? Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:
... because it's now possible.
If it had GPS, it could be awesome hackable navigator device for example.

No it has not. If you like that Device and don't need Nintendo Software or the Joycons, just use Nvidia Shield directly.
Zucca
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone planning installing Gentoo on Nintendo Switch? Reply with quote

ChrisJumper wrote:
If you like that Device and don't need Nintendo Software or the Joycons, just use Nvidia Shield directly.
Zucca wrote:
Switch supposedly runs some variant of FreeBSD so booting the gaming UI inside the Linux host should not be impossibly difficult task (Gentoo-FreeBSD anyone?). If that comes true some day, people will see me rushing to the nearest store at near speed of light.

The shield has the connectivity I want, but it lacks the controller support.
What I want is Switch with Gentoo (or other suitable distro) running on it AND be able to game the offical games on it.
If I'm lucky it will be possible some day with not too much effort.

Code:
sao98021
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone planning installing Gentoo on Nintendo Switch? Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:
ChrisJumper wrote:
If you like that Device and don't need Nintendo Software or the Joycons, just use Nvidia Shield directly.
Zucca wrote:

The shield has the connectivity I want, but it lacks the controller support.
What I want is Switch with Gentoo (or other suitable distro) running on it AND be able to game the offical games on it.
If I'm lucky it will be possible some day with not too much effort.

how's this going?

i haven't heard anything for a month or two, since the last "nintendo is banning everyone!!!!" headlines

so i assume the current state of nintendo homebrew/linux is = if you hax you will be perma banned and never able to use your console online again ever ""even if you own two switches and only hack one""

also, theres still no controller support for the joycons
Zucca
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have given up, unless I can get one for very cheap price. Then I might start tinkering with it.

Code:
sao98021
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:
I think I have given up, unless I can get one for very cheap price. Then I might start tinkering with it.

i was looking around, came across https://github.com/natinusala/painless-linux

which installs arch, but i think a few mods it could do gentoo,

i'm almost positive you could get it booted, just as far as nintendo bans go if all the shit is true then its like 99% sure your getting banned preventing you from ever playing newer titles

Code:
What works / what doesn't work
Wi-Fi : works after a reboot

After each cold boot, you should reboot (it will reboot to RCM) and run the exploit again to enable Wi-Fi
Bluetooth : works partially

Keyboards and mice work
Joy-Cons, speakers and headphones don't
Touch screen : works

Audio : not working, even through Bluetooth headphones or speakers

Hardware graphics acceleration : works

You have to select a power profile manually at each reboot using the switchpower script
Wired Joy-Cons : to be implemented

Volume buttons : recognized but don't do anything since there is no audio device

Power button : only works to halt the system with a long-press

no graceful shutdown
no sleep mode
USB : not working

Dock : to be implemented

Power management : works partially

No graceful shutdown
No reboot to Linux, only reboot to RCM
GPU profile has to be selected by hand
Battery level correctly recognized
Be careful as staying for a long time in Linux desyncs the battery calibration on Horizon and can cause the console to shutdown unexpectedly (at 50%)
Gnome-terminal : Tofix ! It crash use xterm instead .
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sao98021 wrote:
i'm almost positive you could get it booted, just as far as nintendo bans go if all the shit is true then its like 99% sure your getting banned preventing you from ever playing newer titles
After reading one report, it appears that the bans apply to user accounts associated with a hacked device. Using separate accounts for device hacking and regular use seems like standard practice.

I have no problem with them banning devices from their network. My concern is if there's an online requirement to play the games (aside from games specifically dedicated to that format which I'd never buy).
sao98021
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
sao98021 wrote:
After reading one report, it appears that the bans apply to user accounts associated with a hacked device. Using separate accounts for device hacking and regular use seems like standard practice.

I have no problem with them banning devices from their network. My concern is if there's an online requirement to play the games (aside from games specifically dedicated to that format which I'd never buy).

the problem is, in a bunch (most of) the cases, newest games come with an update and they use to ship the update with the actual physical disc, but these days they do it online - which requires you to connect to them

;(

unless this has changed with the whole "any switch can be hacked no matter the fw"
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sao98021 wrote:
the problem is, in a bunch (most of) the cases, newest games come with an update and they use to ship the update with the actual physical disc, but these days they do it online - which requires you to connect to them

;(
Oh well. Maybe they'll still be around (and usable) some day at $99 or less. I'd be OK with having to manually download an update. I returned 2 Nooks because they required internet access. And I have a Kobo with its original "film" still on its screen for the same reason.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: