Apple GenBook?!?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PRoGRaMMeRQ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:09 am    Post subject: Apple GenBook?!? Reply with quote

Hello,
I am a gentoo user. I love it. I really do.
Its been a while since I've looked at buying a new computer, and now I want both a desktop and a laptop. I'll build my next gentoo pc into a lian-li case based on my own specifications, but I don't have that same freedom with a laptop.
After looking around, I like sony and apple laptops. I would really hate to see any of my money go to micro$oft for a copy of windows that I will most definitely NOT use, so apple looks like a pretty good choice. I plan on using the laptop at college, and I don't really want the public to think that I use mac. I personally think that mac OS x is a fine piece of software, but the rest of the computer world may think that one is "weird" if they do so. I came up with this little 'ole idea to mask what hardware I'm using, and sport the OS that I really do use. The black macbook will help disguise what type of laptop I have in the first place. people don't expect to see a black apple as much as they expect to see a white one. Next, that pesky apple on the rear. Why not make it a gentoo "g" logo?
I found some CAD software online, and designed me a nice little cover to go over the apple. The eye of the "g" logo will be machined completely through in order to let the light from the apple be visible. Here are a couple different pictures from the CAD program. It features a circle that is 7.5" in diameter, and a "g" logo in the center.
If I were to end up buying a white macbook, I'd look into getting this add-on machined in black. I'm not sure how I'd attach it quite yet, but I'm sure I'll figure out something.
[IMG]http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/6528/previewgd6.th.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/424/preview2eb2.th.png[/IMG]
The only other thing I have left to figure out, is how to get rid of the weird looking option key logo, and replace it with a "g" logo. I'm also considering covering or changing the text from "macbook" to something else.
Let me know what you think.

PRoGRaMMeRQ
vibrokatana
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a macbook with gentoo installed. For the most part it is the same, but EFI is a bitch to get setup, of course you can use bootcamp to make it easy, but that takes all the fun out of it. Also instead of attacking an external logo consider engraving one into the apple logo on the top, it is some type of plastic that allows the back light through, and looks like it would be fairly easy to carve into. The keyboard layout is fairly easy to get used to, I love it now. I guess it was painful at first, because I am a touch typer, but you get used to it.

Once you "install" bootcamp in osx and partition the hard disk using that tool, it will add the standard partition table you will see on your average computer, and you can install linux.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: