Screen Artifacts on Ultra2 running 2.6.17 - in *console*
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfreed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Screen Artifacts on Ultra2 running 2.6.17 - in *console* Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've got 2.6.17r7 installed from gentoo-sources on my ultra2. Something is happening since moving from the 2.4 tree to 2006.0/2006.1. Really, it seems to have started when I went to the 2.6 kernel.

I don't have X installed/working yet and am just using the VT consoles via type6 keyboard and mouse. Graphics through the Creator3d (FFB2) to a Sun GDM-17E20 monitor.

Essentially, every time the screen blanks (from the setterm/screen blanker stuff) when I wake it back up, I have artifacts. Sometimes to the point where the screen is unreadable. Others, it's just a nuisance. As long as I keep things "awake" it doesn't happen. This never happened with the 2.4 series of kernels, I am thinking it's something to do with the new console/prom stuff found in 2.6.

Has anyone seen this behavior? It's random (the artifacts are never the same), but generally always white/gray in color on my black-backgrounded screen. Anyone know of a way to disable the screen blanker stuff? I guess that'd be one way to ensure that it is truly the cause of the problem. I am guessing that setterm only works for that particular login and not system wide on all the consoles? Or, if there is some kernel option I should be disabling, I'd be glad to try that as well. For now, I'm going through the config and trying different things until it stops happening. So far, no love.

Thanks for any input.

J
blu3bird
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've also had that errror but after I disabled screen blanking I never saw it again.

To disable screen blanking:
Code:
setterm -blank 0

You can also append something like
Code:
> /dev/tty5
to execute it on another tty.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: