Pre-install questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheHaas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:10 pm    Post subject: Pre-install questions Reply with quote

I've been a long-time SuSE user (> 4 years) but have not been happy with the last few versions of it. This week, I tried to to an ftp upgrade to 8.0, and it did not go well at all. Now Yast is giving me conflicting versioning, and printing doesn't work. I can't go back, nor can I go forward via the ftp install. So, either I have to buy a distro I don't want, or start from scratch. I'm choosing to start again, and this time (hopefully) with Gentoo.

Now, here are my questions:

I have three physical drive on this box -- one contains /, another /home, and the other /usr/local. Obviously, I have a lot of data on /home and /usr/local. Gentoo will not force me to fdisk /home and /usr/local, will it?

I have some configs (postfix, hdparm startup script, etc) that took me a long time to create and I don't want to have to do it again. Will Gentoo let me just put those configs into place?

Sorry about asking what may seem like silly questions, but I didn't find this kind of info anywhere in the (otherwise excellent) install documentation.
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-install questions Reply with quote

TheHaas wrote:
I have three physical drive on this box -- one contains /, another /home, and the other /usr/local. Obviously, I have a lot of data on /home and /usr/local. Gentoo will not force me to fdisk /home and /usr/local, will it?

Nobody will force you to do anything.

TheHaas wrote:
I have some configs (postfix, hdparm startup script, etc) that took me a long time to create and I don't want to have to do it again. Will Gentoo let me just put those configs into place?

Yes.

TheHaas wrote:
I didn't find this kind of info anywhere in the (otherwise excellent) install documentation.

For your first question: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/build.xml#doc_chap7.
Xaanin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-install questions Reply with quote

TheHaas wrote:
I

1. No, gentoo will not force you to do anything with your /home or /usr/local partition. Though I would recommend splitting the / partition into three partitions containing /, /boot and a swap partition (maybe you got a swap partition already).

2. Yes, just remember to back them up on the /home or /usr/local disk so they don't get wiped away. After installing Gentoo place them in /etc/init.d and do
Code:

rc-update add filename default

Good luck with installing Gentoo.
TheHaas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-install questions Reply with quote

Xaanin wrote:

1. No, gentoo will not force you to do anything with your /home or /usr/local partition. Though I would recommend splitting the / partition into three partitions containing /, /boot and a swap partition (maybe you got a swap partition already).

Yep, already do. But I also have a another smaller partition (former /home) that I need to get out of there. And putting in a /boot paritition is on my plan.

Quote:

2. Yes, just remember to back them up on the /home or /usr/local disk so they don't get wiped away. After installing Gentoo place them in /etc/init.d and do
Code:

rc-update add filename default

Already started that process. =) I just have to remember them all . . .

Thanks to fghellar and Xaanin for the advice.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: