emerging two things at the same time
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlade
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: emerging two things at the same time Reply with quote

I am currently emerging OpenOffice and it is taking a long time but I needed an NFS server so what did I do emerge nfs. This completed without any problems but nfs won't work.

cat: /mnt/.init.d/softlevel: No such file or directory
/sbin/runscript.sh: line 354: /mnt/.init.d/foo.sh: No such file or directory
* ERROR: "/etc/init.d/nfs" has syntax errors in it; not executing...

Being in dire need of something i thought well i could use ftp instead

so emerge proftpd also no problem but when I try to use it I get the same errors.

Does anyone know what is going on?

I guess the obvious be patient and wait for emerge openoffice to finish.

How can I fix this?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Jason :P
barlad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
cat: /mnt/.init.d/softlevel: No such file or directory
/sbin/runscript.sh: line 354: /mnt/.init.d/foo.sh: No such file or directory
* ERROR: "/etc/init.d/nfs" has syntax errors in it; not executing...

I do not think the fact you are emering openoffice at the same time is related to this problem. As far as I know, you can emerge as many things as you want at the same time. (although some people reported a nasty and dangerous bug that breaks the whole system and which may involve emerging two things at the same time).

I do not use NFS nor proftpd but it looks like some configuration files need to be tweaked. Is the proftpd error message EXACTLY the same? . I don't really understand what that link to "/mnt/.init.d/softlevel" means. softlevel is in /var/lib/init.d. You may need to check your PATHs and your profile files. It must be somehow related to it.
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how to solve your problem, bu I can narrow down the issus a bit...for one thing it's NOT the fact that you are emerging two things at the same time...the only time that causes problems is if they are both emerging something with the same dependency or a situation like that, I've emerged two and more things at the same time with no issues at all. If you want, try unemerging and re-emerging nfs and see if that helps at all.
jlade
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: Emerging two things at the same time Reply with quote

Well I retried the emerge of nfs after the emerge of openoffice had finished and it worked without any tweaking whatsoever. So I assume that whatever it was that caused it was gone after the emerge of openoffice had finished.

But yes the error messages when I tried to start nfs and ftpd where exactly the same word for word.

Anyway thanks for the help.

I guess it should work, although possibly something else involved I haven't picked up on yet.

Jason
d3vlin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barlad wrote:
As far as I know, you can emerge as many things as you want at the same time. (although some people reported a nasty and dangerous bug that breaks the whole system and which may involve emerging two things at the same time).

Can you please explain what bug you are talking about? I am always emerging more packages at the same time on different consoles, never had any problems with doing so.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: