Occult "processor type and features" config for dualcore 64b
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simius
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Occult "processor type and features" config for du Reply with quote

I've searched the entire web, but found less than enough information on configuring the newer Linux kernels' "processor type and features" settings. The kernel docs themselves are pretty vague, and expect the user to know all about low-level hardware and kernel internals, while end-user resources on the internet tend to just skip the hard part, and explain selecting "amd64" for amd64 chips... :D

Now what I'm looking for is some help in configuring the kernel to work fast and reliably on my dualcore amd64 system (nvidia nforce3 chipset, 2gb ram). I've been running Gentoo on it for more than a year now, and yet there seems to be always SOME problem with the kernel, like an oops here during heavy disk usage, an unexpected segfault there when emerging a larger package, every month or so.
I've suspected memory troubles several times, and run memtest86+ for days on end, only to find that my RAM is 100% perfect and free of faults. So while it feels like hardware trouble, I beleive it has to be trouble caused by the kernel using hardware in a way it doesn't expect being used. Or some elusive kernel bug.

So if anyone could help me with a failsafe, yet optimal setup here...
Like NUMA... Do I need NUMA? It's not like I'm hotplugging memory. How should I set it up?
What about multiprocessor settings?
What about HPET? Does the nforce3 chipset even HAVE an HPET on board? How will it make things better or faster if I use HPET?
What kernel preemption settings yield the best results on an average desktop workstation system?

thanks in advance :)
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run a stress test:
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux

while true ; do
   make clean || exit 1
   make -j8 bzImage modules || exit 1
done

If that exits, then you know your PC has a problem :wink:

This is a better test than just running memtest, because it involves the CPU and hard drive.
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For yours;
NUMA - Don't need it
Multi-processor - Enable SMP support, Set for Multi-core scheduler. Make sure SMP hyper-threading scheduler is off.
HPET - nForce3 probably doesn't have one; nForce4 does but isn't enabled on a lot of 'boards (Can be forced in 2.6.24+ kernels 'tho). Don't know what it does (Enabled it over the pm_acpi timer mine was using before; No noticable differences.)
Kernel Preemption - I'd experiment. I use the Voluntary setting, but YMMV ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: