Vector Graphics and Plotting
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomatopi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Vector Graphics and Plotting Reply with quote

I'm trying to use a Linux machine to control a vinyl cutter (Roland CAMM-1 CM24 to be precise). I've been coming up rather dry trying to find something in Linux that does this in one easy step. Most things I have read suggested doing something raster first, then convert to vector, then to HPGL (or another plotter language), and then cat the result to the appropriate port. I'm looking to do 99% text outlines so it can't be that hard.

Anybody have any ideas? I was debating using WINE and some commercial sign software, but I was also trying to use Gentoo on Sparc which would be harder, though I could use x86 if I need to.
arthurtech
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this helps, but have you looked at Inkscape? It's a native vector (SVG) graphics app. It will also export to various other formats (PS?) that you can probably convert to HPGL. I'd guess you'll end up with a solution using several steps, but if you can stick them all in a script, it's not so bad. Raster-vector is unlikely to give slick results - avoid it if you can.
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomatopi: are you the one who already requested HPGL save/output at the inkscape sourceforge feature request site? (back in 2005) Just curious.

I tried to find a linux CAD package that could save/output HPGL a while back, but wasn't able to find anything. (I have a Houston Instrument DMP-60 drum plotter)
tomatopi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that thread, but it wasn't me.

It seems I'm not the only one who would like to see something like this. I've got a vinyl cutter and want to make use of it under Linux rather than paying exorbinant amounts of money on Windows software. That, and Windows has a limitation of 3 accessable parallel ports and I've already got three tag printers on that computer, which would mean another Windows license. You can actually add 8 parallel ports, but can only print to the first three - go figure.

Ideally, I'd like something that speaks Rolands more updated plotter language than just HPGL, but it seems hard enough just finding HPGL in the first place.

I'll check out Inkscape and see if it will do what I am looking for.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: