Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
2.6.17-emission7: The Bullet Dodger
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ivanich_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 10 Feb 2006
Posts: 104
Location: Ukraine, Odessa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My request: win4lin support in the kernel
Please... :oops:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Posts: 1462
Location: Your College IT Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivanich_ wrote:
My request: win4lin support in the kernel
Please... :oops:


Could I talk you into trying VMWare Server (it's free on www.vmware.com)?

The last Win4Lin patch was 2.6.14 and can't be ported forward very well.
_________________
Viper-Sources Maintainer || nesl247 Projects || vipernicus.org blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kobal
Guru
Guru


Joined: 12 Feb 2004
Posts: 323
Location: Brasil / Brazil / Brésil / Brasilien / el Brasil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zxy
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Posts: 1160
Location: in bed in front of the computer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im just emerging. ....

.... hoping to get 500$ more from my laptop. :wink: .... As I read in previous posts

Did anybody measure in nanoseconds or in feeling-seconds the difference between emision 7 and viper 1.

What's better?
_________________
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.
Lao Tzu
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2045
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigbob73 wrote:
Phlogiston wrote:
bigbob73 wrote:
Phlogiston wrote:


An increase of 50% is just impossible, fact is that it's the same kernel base, so no driver updates or whatever. Furthermore there is no big change or a new "speed" patch added. This is just the usual ricer thing... :oops:


so that would be a no? :wink:


Why should I prove that it's not true if you don't give me numbers or real facts? Tell me THE change in this patchset that could improve it 50%? Just some tweaks for the scheduler can't be that serious. And as I said before it's still the same kernel as before if I'm correct. Let's stop this silly talking here I just can't take you serious bigbob 8) But hey never mind and enjoy the kernel ricer placebo patchset effect :lol:


Phlogiston, i have no need to prove anything to you, and furthermore, don't really care if you take me seriously. You want numbers, get them yourself! Placebo effect? Maybe. Ricer? not. I run x86 with minimal cflags. Do i get this kind of performance all the time, no, but i did that time and that's all i need.


you were the one talking about a big speedup, so it is about you to provide the numbers.

Everything else is just hollow stupid blabla.

And you know it. You said something stupid you can not prove and now you are attacking the person who asked for some evidence to support your silly claims. Typical strategy for a cornered rat. If you can't defend anymore, attack.

If there is anyone in this board to provide a benchmark result, it is you.


About the 'feel faster' crowd: I bet if you don't know which kernel you are using, you would not be able to tell if it is a vanilla one with 250Hz, beyond, emission, -ck or anything else. There might be some differences in cornercases, but just listening to mp3 and read some webpages with freeciv or wesnoth in the background? I don't believe you would be able to tell the differences.
_________________
Study finds stunning lack of racial, gender, and economic diversity among middle-class white males

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigbob73
Guru
Guru


Joined: 31 Dec 2004
Posts: 332
Location: Under the Lone Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
bigbob73 wrote:
Phlogiston wrote:
bigbob73 wrote:
Phlogiston wrote:


An increase of 50% is just impossible, fact is that it's the same kernel base, so no driver updates or whatever. Furthermore there is no big change or a new "speed" patch added. This is just the usual ricer thing... :oops:


so that would be a no? :wink:


Why should I prove that it's not true if you don't give me numbers or real facts? Tell me THE change in this patchset that could improve it 50%? Just some tweaks for the scheduler can't be that serious. And as I said before it's still the same kernel as before if I'm correct. Let's stop this silly talking here I just can't take you serious bigbob 8) But hey never mind and enjoy the kernel ricer placebo patchset effect :lol:


Phlogiston, i have no need to prove anything to you, and furthermore, don't really care if you take me seriously. You want numbers, get them yourself! Placebo effect? Maybe. Ricer? not. I run x86 with minimal cflags. Do i get this kind of performance all the time, no, but i did that time and that's all i need.


you were the one talking about a big speedup, so it is about you to provide the numbers.

Everything else is just hollow stupid blabla.

And you know it. You said something stupid you can not prove and now you are attacking the person who asked for some evidence to support your silly claims. Typical strategy for a cornered rat. If you can't defend anymore, attack.

If there is anyone in this board to provide a benchmark result, it is you.


About the 'feel faster' crowd: I bet if you don't know which kernel you are using, you would not be able to tell if it is a vanilla one with 250Hz, beyond, emission, -ck or anything else. There might be some differences in cornercases, but just listening to mp3 and read some webpages with freeciv or wesnoth in the background? I don't believe you would be able to tell the differences.


its not up to me to prove anything. If you don't like what i said, too bad. Your problem not mine.
_________________
A computers attention span is only as long as it's electrical cord (Murphy)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2045
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigbob73 wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
bigbob73 wrote:
Phlogiston wrote:
bigbob73 wrote:
Phlogiston wrote:


An increase of 50% is just impossible, fact is that it's the same kernel base, so no driver updates or whatever. Furthermore there is no big change or a new "speed" patch added. This is just the usual ricer thing... :oops:


so that would be a no? :wink:


Why should I prove that it's not true if you don't give me numbers or real facts? Tell me THE change in this patchset that could improve it 50%? Just some tweaks for the scheduler can't be that serious. And as I said before it's still the same kernel as before if I'm correct. Let's stop this silly talking here I just can't take you serious bigbob 8) But hey never mind and enjoy the kernel ricer placebo patchset effect :lol:


Phlogiston, i have no need to prove anything to you, and furthermore, don't really care if you take me seriously. You want numbers, get them yourself! Placebo effect? Maybe. Ricer? not. I run x86 with minimal cflags. Do i get this kind of performance all the time, no, but i did that time and that's all i need.


you were the one talking about a big speedup, so it is about you to provide the numbers.

Everything else is just hollow stupid blabla.

And you know it. You said something stupid you can not prove and now you are attacking the person who asked for some evidence to support your silly claims. Typical strategy for a cornered rat. If you can't defend anymore, attack.

If there is anyone in this board to provide a benchmark result, it is you.


About the 'feel faster' crowd: I bet if you don't know which kernel you are using, you would not be able to tell if it is a vanilla one with 250Hz, beyond, emission, -ck or anything else. There might be some differences in cornercases, but just listening to mp3 and read some webpages with freeciv or wesnoth in the background? I don't believe you would be able to tell the differences.


its not up to me to prove anything. If you don't like what i said, too bad. Your problem not mine.



you claimed something, so it is your job to prove it.

You don't understand it? Maybe you should ask your Kindergarten teacher about it, or your parents.

Really, you behave like a 5 year old. You tell something (encoding time cut in half), but if you are challenged to prove it, you refuse it.

So there is only one conclusion: you are a little child, or you are one of that socially impaired people that get called with a word starting with an A followed by 5 other characters, ending with an E.

Or you lied.

Pick your choice.
_________________
Study finds stunning lack of racial, gender, and economic diversity among middle-class white males

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kensai
Guru
Guru


Joined: 09 Mar 2004
Posts: 568
Location: Puerto Rico

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
you claimed something, so it is your job to prove it.

You don't understand it? Maybe you should ask your Kindergarten teacher about it, or your parents.

Really, you behave like a 5 year old. You tell something (encoding time cut in half), but if you are challenged to prove it, you refuse it.

So there is only one conclusion: you are a little child, or you are one of that socially impaired people that get called with a word starting with an A followed by 5 other characters, ending with an E.

Or you lied.

Pick your choice.

He does not have to prove anything, he is talking about his experience. He can feel a 50% boot himself, and I believe his word, maybe is not literally 50% boost but he has a feeling of a great boost, now you guys are the attackers telling him to bring proof, go find it yourself, BAH! n00bs so not inteligent. 8)
_________________
Gentoo: Gigabyte: nFORCE 2: nVIDIA GeForce 6600: AMD Athlon XP 3200+
Perspective of a Thinking Human Being
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigbob73
Guru
Guru


Joined: 31 Dec 2004
Posts: 332
Location: Under the Lone Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
bigbob73 wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
bigbob73 wrote:
Phlogiston wrote:
bigbob73 wrote:
Phlogiston wrote:


An increase of 50% is just impossible, fact is that it's the same kernel base, so no driver updates or whatever. Furthermore there is no big change or a new "speed" patch added. This is just the usual ricer thing... :oops:


so that would be a no? :wink:


Why should I prove that it's not true if you don't give me numbers or real facts? Tell me THE change in this patchset that could improve it 50%? Just some tweaks for the scheduler can't be that serious. And as I said before it's still the same kernel as before if I'm correct. Let's stop this silly talking here I just can't take you serious bigbob 8) But hey never mind and enjoy the kernel ricer placebo patchset effect :lol:


Phlogiston, i have no need to prove anything to you, and furthermore, don't really care if you take me seriously. You want numbers, get them yourself! Placebo effect? Maybe. Ricer? not. I run x86 with minimal cflags. Do i get this kind of performance all the time, no, but i did that time and that's all i need.


you were the one talking about a big speedup, so it is about you to provide the numbers.

Everything else is just hollow stupid blabla.

And you know it. You said something stupid you can not prove and now you are attacking the person who asked for some evidence to support your silly claims. Typical strategy for a cornered rat. If you can't defend anymore, attack.

If there is anyone in this board to provide a benchmark result, it is you.


About the 'feel faster' crowd: I bet if you don't know which kernel you are using, you would not be able to tell if it is a vanilla one with 250Hz, beyond, emission, -ck or anything else. There might be some differences in cornercases, but just listening to mp3 and read some webpages with freeciv or wesnoth in the background? I don't believe you would be able to tell the differences.


its not up to me to prove anything. If you don't like what i said, too bad. Your problem not mine.



you claimed something, so it is your job to prove it.

You don't understand it? Maybe you should ask your Kindergarten teacher about it, or your parents.

Really, you behave like a 5 year old. You tell something (encoding time cut in half), but if you are challenged to prove it, you refuse it.

So there is only one conclusion: you are a little child, or you are one of that socially impaired people that get called with a word starting with an A followed by 5 other characters, ending with an E.

Or you lied.

Pick your choice.


you bore me. *plonk*
_________________
A computers attention span is only as long as it's electrical cord (Murphy)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broch
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 09 Jul 2005
Posts: 94

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
now you guys are the attackers telling him to bring proof


this is not attacking. When you claim something, on your side lays the obligation to prove it. Asking for proof is not attacking (everybody can claim that they claimb Mt Everest, but only few can prove this, and they don't feel attacked when asked for proof) . Who knows, maybe he is getting 50% speed increase, if so then I would gladly listen to his comments and try his suggestions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2045
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kensai wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
you claimed something, so it is your job to prove it.

You don't understand it? Maybe you should ask your Kindergarten teacher about it, or your parents.

Really, you behave like a 5 year old. You tell something (encoding time cut in half), but if you are challenged to prove it, you refuse it.

So there is only one conclusion: you are a little child, or you are one of that socially impaired people that get called with a word starting with an A followed by 5 other characters, ending with an E.

Or you lied.

Pick your choice.

He does not have to prove anything, he is talking about his experience. He can feel a 50% boot himself, and I believe his word, maybe is not literally 50% boost but he has a feeling of a great boost, now you guys are the attackers telling him to bring proof, go find it yourself, BAH! n00bs so not inteligent. 8)



wow, I love you childish ricers.

You claim this and that speed improvement, but when should bring prove of your silly claims, you deny it, and play 'nonono, It is not my responisbility'.

NEWSFLASH:

If you claim something, you have to proof it.

That is, how the world works.

Claiming something and not proving it, when somebody asks for it, is like lying. No difference.

Why should 'we' bring or find any proofs? He claimed a ridiculous speed improvement (and so did you - but you can not bench 'interactivity' or 'smoothness', but you can benchmark encoding - so where are his numbers to support is point?), so it is his job. Noone else has to do it.

The way he behaves, does not create any trust in his claims - in fact, the way he behaves is a certain sign, that he lied in the first place.

I know, you little ricers don't understand that. Proofs? Evidence? Support? Why? Isn't it enough, that I believe the bullshit, I talked? That is the way your world works. But this is not the way the real world works (except when you are G.W.Bush - but that is a different story).
_________________
Study finds stunning lack of racial, gender, and economic diversity among middle-class white males

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigbob73
Guru
Guru


Joined: 31 Dec 2004
Posts: 332
Location: Under the Lone Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broch wrote:
Quote:
now you guys are the attackers telling him to bring proof


this is not attacking. When you claim something, on your side lays the obligation to prove it. Asking for proof is not attacking (everybody can claim that they claimb Mt Everest, but only few can prove this, and they don't feel attacked when asked for proof) . Who knows, maybe he is getting 50% speed increase, if so then I would gladly listen to his comments and try his suggestions.


on what do you base this? I already gave my proof. Encoding went from 9.5 fps to 20 fps. i don't seek to explain it, nor feel a need to convince anybody. if you don't want to believe me, i can live with that. If you don't use this kernel, my life will not change. I am under absolutely no obligation to prove anything. If you think otherwise, that's ok by me too. :wink:
_________________
A computers attention span is only as long as it's electrical cord (Murphy)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Posts: 1462
Location: Your College IT Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
you claimed something, so it is your job to prove it.


Should bigbob73 install it on your computer and do the benchmarks for you? He has given you an opinion with no fact. Now he is giving you numbers. Now it is your turn to prove the validity of his claims.

Also:
energyman76b wrote:

You don't understand it? Maybe you should ask your Kindergarten teacher about it, or your parents.

Really, you behave like a 5 year old. You tell something (encoding time cut in half), but if you are challenged to prove it, you refuse it.

So there is only one conclusion: you are a little child, or you are one of that socially impaired people that get called with a word starting with an A followed by 5 other characters, ending with an E.

Or you lied.

Pick your choice.


You just belittled a man for no reason at all. Does he have to be as tech savie as you to state what feels faster to him? Do you feel big and proud about your statements, trying to make him out to be a lesser person than you? We need to learn to be kind to one another no matter what.
_________________
Viper-Sources Maintainer || nesl247 Projects || vipernicus.org blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2045
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
you claimed something, so it is your job to prove it.


Should bigbob73 install it on your computer and do the benchmarks for you? He has given you an opinion with no fact. Now he is giving you numbers. Now it is your turn to prove the validity of his claims.



NOW he gave two meaning less numbers. After some hours and several posting. But what type of encoding? Which apps? What was running in the background. Throwing two numbers in the air does not prove anything. If he had said 'on a freshly booted system with no services like ssh, apache etc running in the background and gnome loaded, mencoder encoded a raw video file into a xvid with 20FPS instead of 9.5 FPS' that would be 'numbers'. That would be something to work with. App, source of data, endpoint of data, background. Hardware specs would be nice too. So others would be able to do their own measurements and compare them.

That said, I have seen a lot of 'magic' kernels that were so-what-faster.

At the end, the fastest, most skipless and most stable kernel was:
vanilla kernel.org.

vipernicus wrote:

Also:
energyman76b wrote:

You don't understand it? Maybe you should ask your Kindergarten teacher about it, or your parents.

Really, you behave like a 5 year old. You tell something (encoding time cut in half), but if you are challenged to prove it, you refuse it.

So there is only one conclusion: you are a little child, or you are one of that socially impaired people that get called with a word starting with an A followed by 5 other characters, ending with an E.

Or you lied.

Pick your choice.


You just belittled a man for no reason at all. Does he have to be as tech savie as you to state what feels faster to him? Do you feel big and proud about your statements, trying to make him out to be a lesser person than you? We need to learn to be kind to one another no matter what.


[/quote]

I belittled him after he refused to support his claim from 'page one'. I belittled him after he refued for ages to prove what he wrote. I think, after so much stubborness, that was only fair.
_________________
Study finds stunning lack of racial, gender, and economic diversity among middle-class white males

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Posts: 1462
Location: Your College IT Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
NOW he gave two meaning less numbers. After some hours and several posting. But what type of encoding? Which apps? What was running in the background. Throwing two numbers in the air does not prove anything. If he had said 'on a freshly booted system with no services like ssh, apache etc running in the background and gnome loaded, mencoder encoded a raw video file into a xvid with 20FPS instead of 9.5 FPS' that would be 'numbers'. That would be something to work with. App, source of data, endpoint of data, background. Hardware specs would be nice too. So others would be able to do their own measurements and compare them.

That said, I have seen a lot of 'magic' kernels that were so-what-faster.

At the end, the fastest, most skipless and most stable kernel was:
vanilla kernel.org.

I belittled him after he refused to support his claim from 'page one'. I belittled him after he refued for ages to prove what he wrote. I think, after so much stubborness, that was only fair.


1. These numbers mean nothing to you, but he obviously sees them on a regular basis. Also, you may not understand this concept, but some people like it when things "just work." You probably prefer to know "what, when, and how," but the problem is you are asking for someone who is happy with his setup to go to extra efforts to please you. I see no reason for him to have to do that. I believe if it were truly so important to you to know numbers for a benchmark, that you would do them yourself. You could have taken the hint immediately that Bigbob73 didn't care to provide you numbers, he owes you nothing.

2. There is no magic in -emission, and I have no clue why you think there is.

3. That's great.

4. Ah, so there is justification for rudeness? I don't think so. He owes you nothing.

The moral of the story:
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

And if you are in denial:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Troll
_________________
Viper-Sources Maintainer || nesl247 Projects || vipernicus.org blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 2045
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
NOW he gave two meaning less numbers. After some hours and several posting. But what type of encoding? Which apps? What was running in the background. Throwing two numbers in the air does not prove anything. If he had said 'on a freshly booted system with no services like ssh, apache etc running in the background and gnome loaded, mencoder encoded a raw video file into a xvid with 20FPS instead of 9.5 FPS' that would be 'numbers'. That would be something to work with. App, source of data, endpoint of data, background. Hardware specs would be nice too. So others would be able to do their own measurements and compare them.

That said, I have seen a lot of 'magic' kernels that were so-what-faster.

At the end, the fastest, most skipless and most stable kernel was:
vanilla kernel.org.

I belittled him after he refused to support his claim from 'page one'. I belittled him after he refued for ages to prove what he wrote. I think, after so much stubborness, that was only fair.


1. These numbers mean nothing to you, but he obviously sees them on a regular basis. Also, you may not understand this concept, but some people like it when things "just work." You probably prefer to know "what, when, and how," but the problem is you are asking for someone who is happy with his setup to go to extra efforts to please you. I see no reason for him to have to do that. I believe if it were truly so important to you to know numbers for a benchmark, that you would do them yourself. You could have taken the hint immediately that Bigbob73 didn't care to provide you numbers, he owes you nothing.

2. There is no magic in -emission, and I have no clue why you think there is.



exactly - no magic. And with no magic, a speed increase of 100% (so the FPS get doubled) seems a little bit odd.

So if there is an increase something else suffered, but what? Or did he had some background traffic, that was missing this time?

Ever heard of 'reproducibility'?

If there is no 'magic' - and we all know that there is none - how did he get that increase he claimed? And refused to prove?

vipernicus wrote:

4. Ah, so there is justification for rudeness? I don't think so. He owes you nothing.

well, he did claim something and became rude himself when asked for prove.

vipernicus wrote:

And if you are in denial:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Troll


Sticks and stones ... that said, I have seen several trolls in this thread...
_________________
Study finds stunning lack of racial, gender, and economic diversity among middle-class white males

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigbob73
Guru
Guru


Joined: 31 Dec 2004
Posts: 332
Location: Under the Lone Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
vipernicus wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
NOW he gave two meaning less numbers. After some hours and several posting. But what type of encoding? Which apps? What was running in the background. Throwing two numbers in the air does not prove anything. If he had said 'on a freshly booted system with no services like ssh, apache etc running in the background and gnome loaded, mencoder encoded a raw video file into a xvid with 20FPS instead of 9.5 FPS' that would be 'numbers'. That would be something to work with. App, source of data, endpoint of data, background. Hardware specs would be nice too. So others would be able to do their own measurements and compare them.

That said, I have seen a lot of 'magic' kernels that were so-what-faster.

At the end, the fastest, most skipless and most stable kernel was:
vanilla kernel.org.

I belittled him after he refused to support his claim from 'page one'. I belittled him after he refued for ages to prove what he wrote. I think, after so much stubborness, that was only fair.


1. These numbers mean nothing to you, but he obviously sees them on a regular basis. Also, you may not understand this concept, but some people like it when things "just work." You probably prefer to know "what, when, and how," but the problem is you are asking for someone who is happy with his setup to go to extra efforts to please you. I see no reason for him to have to do that. I believe if it were truly so important to you to know numbers for a benchmark, that you would do them yourself. You could have taken the hint immediately that Bigbob73 didn't care to provide you numbers, he owes you nothing.

2. There is no magic in -emission, and I have no clue why you think there is.



exactly - no magic. And with no magic, a speed increase of 100% (so the FPS get doubled) seems a little bit odd.

So if there is an increase something else suffered, but what? Or did he had some background traffic, that was missing this time?

Ever heard of 'reproducibility'?

If there is no 'magic' - and we all know that there is none - how did he get that increase he claimed? And refused to prove?

vipernicus wrote:

4. Ah, so there is justification for rudeness? I don't think so. He owes you nothing.

well, he did claim something and became rude himself when asked for prove.

vipernicus wrote:

And if you are in denial:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Troll


Sticks and stones ... that said, I have seen several trolls in this thread...


to be totally correct, i became rude when you couldn't accept the fact that I had no need to prove anything to you. Get your facts straight. There is no burden of proof here, you can get whatever proof you need yourself.
_________________
A computers attention span is only as long as it's electrical cord (Murphy)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Posts: 1462
Location: Your College IT Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
vipernicus wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
NOW he gave two meaning less numbers. After some hours and several posting. But what type of encoding? Which apps? What was running in the background. Throwing two numbers in the air does not prove anything. If he had said 'on a freshly booted system with no services like ssh, apache etc running in the background and gnome loaded, mencoder encoded a raw video file into a xvid with 20FPS instead of 9.5 FPS' that would be 'numbers'. That would be something to work with. App, source of data, endpoint of data, background. Hardware specs would be nice too. So others would be able to do their own measurements and compare them.

That said, I have seen a lot of 'magic' kernels that were so-what-faster.

At the end, the fastest, most skipless and most stable kernel was:
vanilla kernel.org.

I belittled him after he refused to support his claim from 'page one'. I belittled him after he refued for ages to prove what he wrote. I think, after so much stubborness, that was only fair.


1. These numbers mean nothing to you, but he obviously sees them on a regular basis. Also, you may not understand this concept, but some people like it when things "just work." You probably prefer to know "what, when, and how," but the problem is you are asking for someone who is happy with his setup to go to extra efforts to please you. I see no reason for him to have to do that. I believe if it were truly so important to you to know numbers for a benchmark, that you would do them yourself. You could have taken the hint immediately that Bigbob73 didn't care to provide you numbers, he owes you nothing.

2. There is no magic in -emission, and I have no clue why you think there is.



exactly - no magic. And with no magic, a speed increase of 100% (so the FPS get doubled) seems a little bit odd.

So if there is an increase something else suffered, but what? Or did he had some background traffic, that was missing this time?

Ever heard of 'reproducibility'?

If there is no 'magic' - and we all know that there is none - how did he get that increase he claimed? And refused to prove?

vipernicus wrote:

4. Ah, so there is justification for rudeness? I don't think so. He owes you nothing.

well, he did claim something and became rude himself when asked for prove.

vipernicus wrote:

And if you are in denial:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Troll


Sticks and stones ... that said, I have seen several trolls in this thread...


/me feeds the troll.
_________________
Viper-Sources Maintainer || nesl247 Projects || vipernicus.org blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brot
Guru
Guru


Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Posts: 322

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait for the next big test of kernel releases and stop arguing ;)

Never had one problem over here - well performing kernel... Thank you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Posts: 1462
Location: Your College IT Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brot wrote:
Wait for the next big test of kernel releases and stop arguing ;)

Never had one problem over here - well performing kernel... Thank you.


Appreciate it.
_________________
Viper-Sources Maintainer || nesl247 Projects || vipernicus.org blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kobal
Guru
Guru


Joined: 12 Feb 2004
Posts: 323
Location: Brasil / Brazil / Brésil / Brasilien / el Brasil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sugestion and request.

http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Posts: 1462
Location: Your College IT Dept.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kobal wrote:
My sugestion and request.

http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt


Have you used it before? It really doesn't improve desktop interactivity at all. One thing I will introduce though, in next -emission is rcu-preempt, which is from -rt.
_________________
Viper-Sources Maintainer || nesl247 Projects || vipernicus.org blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
uncleben
n00b
n00b


Joined: 21 May 2004
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running this kernel for a few days now (since my switch from gentoo to arch linux) and it performs extremely well on my system.
I think it is the best kernel I had so far. Thank you very much!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kobal
Guru
Guru


Joined: 12 Feb 2004
Posts: 323
Location: Brasil / Brazil / Brésil / Brasilien / el Brasil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
Kobal wrote:
My sugestion and request.

http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt


Have you used it before? It really doesn't improve desktop interactivity at all. One thing I will introduce though, in next -emission is rcu-preempt, which is from -rt.


Not, it wanted to make a test with emission, rt and jack.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-462677-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-mingo.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kobal
Guru
Guru


Joined: 12 Feb 2004
Posts: 323
Location: Brasil / Brazil / Brésil / Brasilien / el Brasil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What it finds to add nx in emission?

http://people.redhat.com/mingo/exec-shield/

it forgives for my English. it finds would be thinks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum