Hunt For Gollum
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Hunt For Gollum Reply with quote

Just seen this over on Slashdot. Trailers look good for a fan-film.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. But they should take advantage of their independent film status to include unprecedented gore like orcs dismembered with elven blades, skulls crushed by dwarven hammers, and the waterboarding of hobbits.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
Cool. But they should take advantage of their independent film status to include unprecedented gore like orcs dismembered with elven blades, skulls crushed by dwarven hammers, and the waterboarding of hobbits.

++

there is not enough gore in fantasy movies.

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:

Conan - it's been a while since I actually saw it (released 1984 IIRC), that seemed fairly bloody. Then there's the slew of sword and sandal pics released at some point during the 80's with Rip Torn.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

Conan - it's been a while since I actually saw it (released 1984 IIRC), that seemed fairly bloody. Then there's the slew of sword and sandal pics released at some point during the 80's with Rip Torn.

Conan, what is best in life?

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.

Then there's Terry P's take on that with a rather elderly (80's +) version of the hero - which goes something like :

Quote:

What may a man consider best in life ?

'Good dentistry and soft toilet paper'

geenux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems rather good. I'll look it as I'm fond of The lord of the ring.
I think that not having the same actors will trouble me, and lessen the pleasure, but I'll see.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geenux wrote:
I think that not having the same actors will trouble me, and lessen the pleasure, but I'll see.

Don't know they seem ok, mind you Mckellen was the definitive Gandalf to my mind. The actress who plays Arwen, or I assume plays Arwen from their trailer, looks a bit of alright too.
atrus123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoneKracker wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

One of the best lines in any movie, period.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atrus123 wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:
John-Boy wrote:
energyman76b wrote:

One of the best lines in any movie, period.

When I was a tank company commander, every soldier under my command knew to respond to that question. I'd say, "Corporal Jones, what is best in life?" They loved it. :lol:
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
BoneKracker wrote:

Then there's Terry P's take on that with a rather elderly (80's +) version of the hero - which goes something like :

Quote:

What may a man consider best in life ?

'Good dentistry and soft toilet paper'

"hot water,good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper"

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
vputz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:

Heh--I remember that. Good cheesy fun, and not actually as bloody as I remembered it. If I recall correctly, some other movies of that era were a bit more bloody (and lousy--"Sword and the Sorceror" was one particularly cheesy one, but even "Excalibur" was pretty darn bloody). Ah, the 80's, era of cheese. I sorta miss those movies.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vputz wrote:
John-Boy wrote:

Heh--I remember that. Good cheesy fun, and not actually as bloody as I remembered it. If I recall correctly, some other movies of that era were a bit more bloody (and lousy--"Sword and the Sorceror" was one particularly cheesy one, but even "Excalibur" was pretty darn bloody). Ah, the 80's, era of cheese. I sorta miss those movies.

Excalibur was kind of ground-breaking in its goriness, for a regular non-horror flick back then.

I remember sitting there and seeing that corpse that had been strung up, and then --schluck-- the raven snatches its eyeball out of the socket! I was like "Aw hell yeah!! Awesome!!" :lol:
arnvidr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this movie yesterday. Shame you couldn't download it, but what are you gonna do? Figure out how to download it from the online player? Pfft. :P

Was a very well made movie. Made we want to see the Lord of the Rings movies again.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arnvidr wrote:
Was a very well made movie. Made we want to see the Lord of the Rings movies again.

Not bad at all you know (sound was a wee bit funky in places), would have been interesting to see what they could have done with a bigger chunk of the book to have a go at, then again I suppose the risk of getting sued is high enough already ;)
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good job. I actually prefer these folks Orcs over Jackson's. Now maybe they can do the Tale of the Children of Hurin, which is my favorite Middle Earth tale.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old school wrote:
maybe they can do the Tale of the Children of Hurin, which is my favorite Middle Earth tale.

I think that the rights for that, along with the Sil are with the Tolkien estate and I don't (think again here - something I picked up online a while back) believe they are too keen on on any filming. It would be nice to see the folks behind this get some recognition from somewhere though (instead of the lawsuit which I fear may be coming).
Drone1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious why the site says released on the 3rd, yet the 2nd trailer states the 5th....
atrus123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's fun that indy studios are releasing little short LotR films, but what I'd rather see is some shorts based on segments from the Silmarillion.

One idea that I wish some producer would take and run with is to gather a handful of good directors all around the world, and have each one put together a piece of the Silmarillion, each with its own aesthetic. Basically, I'd like to see something like the Animatrix but with the Silmarillion. It may not be visually cohesive, but I think the book could lend itself to some interesting interpretations.
doubleagent
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quite good.
i think they programmed [otw] based on a right-wing jewish-nigger-nazi, his gay, retarded, left-wing love slave with webbed feet, and their three headed cat that poops uncontrollably. the cat is also an apple fanboy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: