Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Link wrote:
I'm looking for a floating WM with mouse support that integrates nicely with GNOME, has features (i.e. not Metacity), and has some decent themes available (it would be nice, though by no means a necessity, if it could use Metacity themes). Other than having good themes, Metacity is shit, and I've been looking for something capable of replacing it for quite a while now. I'm considering e17, but I'm not sure how nicely it plays with GNOME (or, perhaps more accurately, how nicely GNOME plays with e17).

e16/17, openbox, fluxbox, ect. What kind of features do you want?
sts
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Link wrote:
I'm looking for a floating WM with mouse support that integrates nicely with GNOME, has features (i.e. not Metacity), and has some decent themes available (it would be nice, though by no means a necessity, if it could use Metacity themes). Other than having good themes, Metacity is shit, and I've been looking for something capable of replacing it for quite a while now. I'm considering e17, but I'm not sure how nicely it plays with GNOME (or, perhaps more accurately, how nicely GNOME plays with e17).

Give openbox a look. It is a bit minimal in the theme department, though.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
An app, similar to xpad, but a bit more configurable, and not as ugly, but doesn't require a DE.
I posted earlier too (somewhere in the gentoo forums): s-notes
McLink
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
Sir Link wrote:

Separate horizontal and vertical maximizing, shading, moving apps between workspaces by dragging past the screen edge (preferably in a way that dragging to the right on the last workspace switches to the first workspace), configurable compositing features (especially per-window translucency), configurable key bindings and option to use most features from menus as well, good GNOME integration, no slapping of stuff I don't need on my desktop, and, importantly, magnetism. Window grouping is also nice, and decent theme support is almost a requirement (I'm not as much of an eye-candy fanatic as most people, but I must be able to bear looking at my window borders ;) ).

e16 is decent and does almost everything I want it to do, but it doesn't go well with GNOME's workspace switcher, and somehow always makes my menus translucent (when compositing is enabled, anyway) even though I've selected Opaque in the theme transparency settings.
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Link wrote:
Dralnu wrote:
Sir Link wrote:

Separate horizontal and vertical maximizing, shading, moving apps between workspaces by dragging past the screen edge (preferably in a way that dragging to the right on the last workspace switches to the first workspace), configurable compositing features (especially per-window translucency), configurable key bindings and option to use most features from menus as well, good GNOME integration, no slapping of stuff I don't need on my desktop, and, importantly, magnetism. Window grouping is also nice, and decent theme support is almost a requirement (I'm not as much of an eye-candy fanatic as most people, but I must be able to bear looking at my window borders ;) ).

e16 is decent and does almost everything I want it to do, but it doesn't go well with GNOME's workspace switcher, and somehow always makes my menus translucent (when compositing is enabled, anyway) even though I've selected Opaque in the theme transparency settings.
Thou shalt not speak ill of the sacred e16!
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Link wrote:

Then use E's workspace switcher?.. which tbh, works much much better than Gnomes, and it's less ugly and bloated.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think e1? is the only real option here.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
I was wondering you might suggest dwm or something similar :lol:
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
Dralnu wrote:
I was wondering you might suggest dwm or something similar :lol:

flux/openbox w/ xcompmgr might could come close, but we're talking about alot of flash, not usablity :)
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merged a similar thread into this one... hm, with all these pages its almost time to lock it and make a #2 thread... :lol:
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder wrote:
merged a similar thread into this one... hm, with all these pages its almost time to lock it and make a #2 thread... :lol:

Wait for page 20 before forking it. Might as well make it a round number.
Kate Monster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm slowly switching to CLI-based apps for all my needs, and I was wondering if there exists any terminal that will let me configure it to flash on the taskbar in KDE when irssi, etc tries to 'beep'. afaict Konsole will not do this, but if it does please point it out to me.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xaero wrote:
I'm slowly switching to CLI-based apps for all my needs, and I was wondering if there exists any terminal that will let me configure it to flash on the taskbar in KDE when irssi, etc tries to 'beep'. afaict Konsole will not do this, but if it does please point it out to me.

I don't know of a single term that will do that.

You could try changing the titlebar throgh an irssi script, though.
adekoba
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for a CLI music player that is based on directory browsing, not on a central database (e.g. mpd and its clients).

MOC exists, but I'm just looking for alternatives.
Kate Monster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
Xaero wrote:

I don't know of a single term that will do that.

You could try changing the titlebar throgh an irssi script, though.
That would be sufficient. I was just generally looking for a way for it to notify me visually - beeps annoy the piss outta me.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adekoba wrote:
I'm looking for a CLI music player that is based on directory browsing, not on a central database (e.g. mpd and its clients).

mp3blaster has always been a favorite of mine. There is also mpg123 and mpg321.
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
adekoba wrote:

cmus is another I have heard of.
srunni
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zepp wrote:
Dralnu wrote:
adekoba wrote:

cmus is another I have heard of.
Herrie is another.
dagle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xaero wrote:

rxvt-unicode can do that.
Set : URxvt.urgentOnBell: true , in .Xdefaults. I haven't used KDE that much to tell if it will work but it works with xmonad.
NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru

Location: Klamath Falls, Jefferson, USA, North America, Midgarth

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thread search gives no joy, so...

I need a program/script that will examine torrent files in a directory, and then report which are duplicates based on the hash for each

NQS

As I see it -- An irregular blog, Improved with new location

To delete French language packs from system use 'sudo rm -fr /'
doubleagent
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adekoba wrote:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-240154.html

Look under "best console audio player"
i think they programmed [otw] based on a right-wing jewish-nigger-nazi, his gay, retarded, left-wing love slave with webbed feet, and their three headed cat that poops uncontrollably. the cat is also an apple fanboy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: