View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mystlynxx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: QUESTION: How long did it take YOU? Reply with quote

I'm not new to Linux but I am new to Gentoo. Coming from RH the initial setup and install seems incredibly long! So as I sit here watching all the compile information scroll past on my Linux box I thought I'd kill some time by asking how long it took others to install (complete) Gentoo.

Humour me, I can't wait to get stuck in and play with this and I'm going crosseyed watching the compile information scroll past :)

Lynn
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first attempt took about a week, but then, I was moving from LFS, having moved there from Red Hat, having moved there from Windows. And I hated Red Hat so much, and was so perplexed by LFS, that I'd only been a Linux user for three days :P

However, currently, it takes me about a day to get a fully functional system up and running from scratch.

emerge -U will kill your Gentoo
ecatmur, Lord of Portage Bash Scripts
Antti Alien
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Gentoo install took me about a week :> I had to start from the beginning a few times.

Week ago i installed Gentoo on my new laptop, and it took about four hours or so :P Though i cheated a bit and installed from stage3 and used "emerge -gK" to install all large packages like xfree and gnome ;)
Gobbo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hhmm... 'bout 2 days.
sapphirecat
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a minimal system in a couple of days, but I kept slowly adding stuff over the course of a month or two. Dialup'll do that to you :lol:
ed0n
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first install was finished for around 4 or 5 days including problems with X and others.

The second one for a day or two.
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time: Around 2 hours to get the system going and another day for an Xserver and etc.

Second time: One night for everything. (I was still using GNOME)

Third time (friend's computer): A day for everything.

Fourth time (mom's computer): Would have been a day, but a problem with the CD-ROM drive made it take longer.
vonhelmet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took me about 3 days to get to a working system with KDE.

After that I just left it overnight when I was compiling anything big.
MK
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how long time I used the first time, but the second (last week), I used about three hours from stage3 to Xorg with flux and firefox, then 4-5 days to get the rest up and go. Still not 100% done, but I'm lazy, still mounting cd's manually and things like that..
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now know the whole installation process by heart, so that's why it doesn't take me very long anymore. :wink:
teedog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started using Linux a few weeks ago (Gentoo Linux). By now I've installed Gentoo on 2 different machines a handful of times, so I pretty familiar with the procedure (the quick install sheet with just the commands is very helpful). I do stage1 and stage2 together (bootstrap.sh;emerge system) and I go away for a few hours. Then I come back and compile the kernel. The time that I myself sit at the computer is perhaps half an hour to an hour. The rest of the time I can be doing something else while computer is compiling.
mixa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me about a day to get a fully functional Gnome desktop.
beastmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about 3 hours for bootstrap,
about 3 hours for compiling xfree,
about 5 hours for mozilla 8O (I thought mozilla is just a lil program compared xfree and other big projects, why it took so long...)
another 5 hours for GNOME 8O...
is it kind of slow :oops:

I'm using athlon thunderbird 1.4Ghz cpu, with most optimization flags turned on.
Duty
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically I start from stage 1, and it takes me a day until the first reboot. After that, it's another day until a usable GUI, but all that involves is typing "emerge gnome" and playing nethack in the next tty over.
taech
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me a lil over 2 days for my first successfull gentoo installation. I had a few failed attempts before that. Although, I'm not using an up to date computer, so some things took ~12 hours to compile.
pianosaurus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: QUESTION: How long did it take YOU? Reply with quote

Mystlynxx wrote:
I'm not new to Linux but I am new to Gentoo.

Welcome, Lynn. Installing will take it's time, but I believe you'll find it's worth it. I've gotten the impression that most people swiching to Gentoo never look back. I certainly didn't.
You'll find the community is great too (just be a little careful in "Off the wall" (lots of flamewars)).
beastmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Welcome, Lynn. Installing will take it's time, but I believe you'll find it's worth it. I've gotten the impression that most people swiching to Gentoo never look back. I certainly didn't.
You'll find the community is great too (just be a little careful in "Off the wall" (lots of flamewars)).

Werd :lol:

I dumped my Redhat 6~7~8~9, Fedora 1, Mandrake 9~10, SuSE 8~9 CDs :D :D :D
8O 8O , those are craps now lol.
The only one I don't dump is my Knoppix LiveCD ;) , I always use it as emergency purpose or a quickie whirl 8O.
Mystlynxx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome! The community here seems a lot more friendly than other distro's which is just as well. This is day 2... Still not installed!

*screams*

Installation goes fine BUT after first boot it will not detect eth0. I'm missing something in the configuration during install, I just know it and it's driving me MAD!!!! :)

I'll get there! Generally I tend to think about the amount of exhasperation I experience with software is directly proportional to the greatness of the software... So right now I think Gentoo should be absolutely marvellous...

Okies, need to go back to smashing my head off the monitor and go for install #3...

I'll be back!

/hug

Lynn
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not detecting eth0 you're probably missing the driver for your network card in the kernel. Boot from the LiveCD, look at the output of "dmesg | grep ^eth" to work out which network card you've got, and make sure that that driver is compiled into your kernel.

Good luck... :D

emerge -U will kill your Gentoo
ecatmur, Lord of Portage Bash Scripts
Hauser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually spent months in setting up my gentoo box. You keep getting new ideas. Now my box is almost perfect for me, never so happy with an OS before! :D

Do I like to compile everything?
Positive definite!
draculr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea first time took a while cos I couldnt get some things working. Nowdays I can usually get KDE up and running in around a day.
DEaigo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have attemped a few times took me 12 hours during the night . every hour my alarm would go off and i'd type a few commands.

anyway it still did not work. i have gentoo currently mymouse does not work the computer name and network = screwed and a few other things.

i took short cuts.
superjaded
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are simplified a lot when you actually know how to set things up.
I usually get a working desktop with X and GNOME in a few hours with my other computer, since, well, it hasn't been upgraded in a few years (besides a new monitor here and a new speaker system there.. non-system critical components, in other words) so the installation process is pretty much identical the one I just finished with. It's probably only about 20-30 minutes of actual setup, though, the rest is compile time.

The one I did last night, however, was a little more rocky than I had been used to previously.
First, the hardware in this computer is A LOT less supported (and in the case of my soundcard, more obscure) than the components in my other Linux box, compare emu10k1-based card with a nvidia geforce and a envy 24ht with a radeon. -_-

My first mistake might not really even be considered a mistake. I used a gentoo liveCD that my dad made a few months ago.
My first real mistake was probably starting up SSX3 while installing it. I didn't pay enough attention to things so the CD eventually stopped spinning and it was a pain to get it to be able to read ANYTHING off the cd after that point.
So I eventually got fed up with fighting with the CD so I just opted for a kernel that was in portage already instead of getting the tried and true (for me) love-sources. I didn't realize this kernel source (2.6.4-ck2) didn't enable procfs by default. I kept booting up (after I finally figured out what my IDE driver was ;/) and wondering why it would lock up at "Mounting /proc..." The "IRQ probe failed" messages that I saw a few lines up made me think it was something with the IDE initialization.

I knew what my soundcard would be listed under (I have a linux-using friend who has the same card), but the module wouldn't compile under ck-sources. Meh.

So I, somehow, finally get a bootable system (thank god for the liveCD letting you do root=/dev/screwedupsystem ;)) and then go to these forums so I can get the latest love-sources -- 2.6.7-rc1-love1. Boot up, modprobe snd-ice1724. Emerge ogg123 and copy over an ogg/vorbis to test out my sound (yay for scp). Sounds like my speakers are busted. I know they aren't, so I frantically look for my friend on IRC and ask him if he knew about the problem.

In the meantime, I attempt to try to get SOME form of dualhead going since that's what I've gotten used to on this computer. Try ati-drivers, try 'radeon' (which seems to have vastly superior 2d performance compared to 3.90).. best I can get is the second display cloning the first one. Oh well, on the backburner at the moment.

So I finally find my friend and ask him about my problem. He never experienced it. Said he was using 2.6.6 at the moment. I eventually try that and that's fixed.

So at the moment, when I get Xinerama working, I'll probably be able to declare my box "working" and then begin trying to break it again. ;)

Heh, and just think, I can describe my past few install experience in one simple paragraph at absolute most. :P

FWIW, I just burned my first CD (using Nautilus's burn:/// of all things) in Linux in a long time. Good feeling. ;)
Nefarius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm...
Gentoo base-setup from inserting the Live-CD to the new system's first CD-less boot: 6 hours @ AMD Athlon 1400MHz

I guess the rest depends on what you want to use / do
VolcomPimp
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my first attempt failed horribly and I got lost really quick
for some reason, didnt even get too far into the install at all...
Came back some time later and found the docs were much
better and I started from stage 1 and it took me about 2-3 days
and after that each time has only taken around 4-6 hours or so...
I'm doing another stage 1 w/ reiser4 on my root and last night
it took me about 2 hours to get through the bootstrap and it's
been about an hour, maybe less and Im still doing 'emerge system'
and Im 17/69 right now...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: