Normal laptop or Tablet laptop ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrGentooMan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Normal laptop or Tablet laptop ? Reply with quote

Hi

Hve a normal desktop and I am thinking about buying a laptop for me (I am even not sure should I buy a laptop or just stick with my Desktop)

Anyway I want to know what is the different between the normal laptop and the tablet laptop.

What is the best laptop that fully (except the modem) supports Linux?
Does the Tablet laptops are fully supported by Linux?

Any Tips/ideas are welcomed
MrGentooMan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW I am using computers for :

1. Linux/Unix Administration.
2. Linux/Web/Windows programming.
3. Internet browsing and downloading

So as you can see 90% of my work in Linux and for that I want a laptop that a fully supported by Linux
Raffi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I understand, the difference between a normal laptop and a tablet would be your screen and input. A normal laptop, like a desktop has a keyboard and a screen. A tablet laptop would be mostly screen and use a stylus to input (though they may also have keyboard inputs). Not sure what kind of linux support is out there for tablets (not my cup of tea as far as laptops go).

As to what kind of laptop to get, you have to start with how you expect to use it. I use my laptop for taking notes during meetings, sending email from off site and administering systems from off site. Both the email and administering happens when I'm away and it is some sort of emergency. For my use, the most important thing is small and light so that I will take it with me. If the keyboard is a little cramped, that is a small price to pay.

I use a sharp mm20. 100% linux compatible and never booted into Windows.

Other people expect laptops to be mobile desktops as such the weight is not as important. I have had pretty good luck with Toshiba laptops for such uses. The best thing to do is find a laptop that will do what you want and then search for linux compatibility.
certocivitas
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the big deal breaker the limited increase in usability compared to the sizable cost increase for a tablet. Expect to pay more for a tablet with the same processor, memory, disk space, etc. as its ordinary laptop cousin.

As with the last poster I don't know what kinds of drivers are available to get a tablet's touchscreen to work in Linux. Some of the 'cool' things that you can do with a stylus are software dependent; hence the special version of Windows for tablets.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also consider laptops having a screen that flips into position for "tablet" use. No idea about linux support.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: