emerge sync problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alsh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: emerge sync problems Reply with quote

For some reason everytime I go to emerge sync it downloads the file list fine, then approximately 5-15 seconds after it starts downloading the individual files my modem disconnects. I can emerge-webrsync fine, and I can download huge files fine too, but every emerge sync kills it at almost the same point it time. It will get past where it was the last time, but having to do it 100 times just to update the tree once is rediculous and I dont have the patience for it. I have tried re-emerging portage by typing 'emerge portage' to let it reinstall, that didnt help. I am not a linux noob, but I havent been using gentoo very long at all. Anyone have any ideas on what to try? Im open to any suggestions short of reinstalling from scratch (well if it comes to that I will).

Oh also for referance I have used the same machine and everything before to emerge sync and it has worked fine, and I installed gentoo from a debian partition because the modem is a linmodem. I have the same kernel and configs on both partitions, and the same modem drivers. I would try to emerge sync from the debian system to see if it was something local but chroot on my debian partition seems to have broken somehow (I can chroot into it, but not out... thats another problem not related to this.) Thanks for any help and for putting up with my rambling...
Alan
alsh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: emerge sync problems Reply with quote

Well I decided to take a wild guess after reading all the portage docs and thinking about how it works. I copied my distfiles folder and then deleteh everything under the /usr/portage directory, then did an emerge sync. That (for some reason) fixed it! Now it downloads the whole tree fine, and updates it fine too. I moved the distfiles content back too so I would keep what I have downloaded. Thanks for reading :)
chris84ae
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a strange problem
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: