quit emerge... now net.lo problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: quit emerge... now net.lo problems Reply with quote

I did an emerge -uvDN world and I stopped it about halfway through which apparently is not very smart at all.

Upon reboot I am getting an error with net.lo. Not sure what the error is but this is the error I get when I try to start it manually.

Code:

/etc/init.d/net.lo:  line 34:  /lib/rcscripts/net.modules.d/helpers.d/functions:  No such file or directory
* Service net.lo starting
find:  /lib/rcscrips/net.modules.d/:  No such file or directory
no interface module has been loaded
* Error:   net.lo failed to start

Anyone know how to resolve this? All I want to do now is finish my emerge world :(

I had been doing so well configuring everything and then I hit this. If any more information is needed please say so. The system running gnome seems to work fine, just no internets. :)

Thanks in advance.
stevit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that error, but when you just updated a bunch of things....
have you tried to update your config files? etc-update should help you if you have not allready done that.

Perhaps a path or some options have changed.
/lib/rcscrips/net.modules.d/ does not exist on my (up to date) system.
dia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevit wrote:
I don't know that error, but when you just updated a bunch of things....
have you tried to update your config files? etc-update should help you if you have not allready done that.

Perhaps a path or some options have changed.
/lib/rcscrips/net.modules.d/ does not exist on my (up to date) system.

You are a genius! I ran etc-update and it worked. I haven't run etc-update for a while cause frankly I broke my system last I did it and had to do a clean install... for the 8th time.

Do you know of a place I could learn in detail about etc-update?

Also, love the quote. Would be funny if it weren't true. :)
stevit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fine. :) good to hear not all problems are that hard to solve. ;)

as for etc-update... good question. i found it let's say unintuitional when i first used it and one day i had something around 130 unupdated config files.
The problem is with updateing your systen and with that installing new scripts and co are NOT updating the config-files those scripts use you can break you system too. ;)
For some time most progs can parse an old-stlye config file... but someday... ;)

So best try to become fried with etc-update. Lots better than updating those files by hand. :P
etc-update is when you take some time self explaining (i know it does not look lile that on the first view :P).

1.) simly go through all files you allready changed something in and have a look what etc-update wants to change.
-> a) try to merge with choosing if you preffer the left or right side
-> b) ignore the changes (e.g. if only an comment is changed becouse of an typo)
-> c) accept the change if it does not affekt you changes (eg. your ip in /etc/conf-d/net
2.) when your done with all files you know what to do with.... use -5 to update the rest. ;)
-> when you know that you never changed something in a config file the new format is probably lot's better than your old. ;)
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Duplicate Threads in favour of Missing /lib/rcsripts/net.modules.d [SOLVED]. You can find info about etc-update here.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: