Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murph001
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elMariachi wrote:
Hi.
I have the gentoo-dev-sources2.6.7-r6 installed and i'm now trying to get the bootsplash running. The problem is, that none of the patches linked in the forums work. It alwas says something like "previously applied patch detected". But i didn't apply any patch before. And i can't access the bootsplash menu in menuconfig, so the patch _isn't_ applied.
Well, i'm a n00b as you can see, but it would be great if someone could give me a solution for this problem.
Thanks

Same goes for me. I emerged the same kernel-sources, ran the patch script, and afterwards tried to apply the bootsplash.x.x.diff patch - it assumes that the kernel is patched.
But as elMariachi I cannot chose bootsplash:

Any ideas? thx

Oh, I overread that in this post
Code:

Processor type and features  --->
  [ ] Use register arguments (EXPERIMENTAL)

Should be disabled, I had enabled it. And now it works :)
Maybe this can be added to the howto. Thx.
stkaplan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few questions:

1) Can I enable the high-resolution feature without the background image? I just want the black background, but I like this text size.

2) If I do 1280x1024 on a widescreen laptop, will it distort the text size to fit the screen? If so, is there a way to specify a widescreen resolution in the vga= parameter?

3) (off-topic) Is there a way on these forums to search a specific thread for keywords? That would have been really useful...
elMariachi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx Murph001.. i made nearly the same mistake.

But now another dump question (well, i hope it isn't):
As I've read somewhere in this thread there are some problems with the "silent bootsplash". (This is the image with progress bar, isn't it?). Well, it doens't work on my box too. So my question is: Is there any was to get this really cool progress bar running while booting? (not the gentoo one, but one from bootsplash.de)

Thx a lot
ScaredFreakyGuy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stkaplan wrote:
A few questions:

1) Can I enable the high-resolution feature without the background image? I just want the black background, but I like this text size.

I believe you can accomplish this by removing leaving the jpeg and silentjpeg options empty in the /etc/bootsplash/whatevertheme/config/bootsplash-1280x1024.cfg file.

stkaplan wrote:
3) (off-topic) Is there a way on these forums to search a specific thread for keywords? That would have been really useful...

At the end of the url, add &highlight=keyword+keyword2+keyword3 ...
Code:
e.g.,
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=176360
  becomes
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=176360&highlight=consolefont

As far as just pulling posts with the specific keywords ... it can be done but would require you to load the post in another website or program, parse the output of the loaded post, etc. Interesting concept =^)

- ScaredFreakyGuy
stkaplan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, that works, thanks.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The patch is already in gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.7-r6 for those trying to patch it.
firex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bootsplash didn't work with vga=0x31B :-( if i use vga=0x31A it works but after start of X my console show only colored boxes :evil: i have
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)
kernel:
2.6.7-gentoo-r7
nvidia-kernel-1.0.6106
nvidia-glx-1.0.6106

my X working 1280x1024x24 it is equal to vga=0x31B
whats wrong?
scap1784
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey is there any documentation on how to use splash anywhere and for some reason I can't get any of my homemade jpgs to work only the default. All my homemade ones have been made with photoshop... Any help would be great.

- Scap
scap1784
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the errors that I am getting

Code:

VENUS root # dmesg | grep bootsplash
bootsplash 3.1.4-2004/02/19: looking for picture....<6>bootsplash: error while decompressing picture: bad tables (14)
bootsplash 3.1.4-2004/02/19: looking for picture....<6>bootsplash: error while decompressing picture: bad tables (14)
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who whowho finished this HOWTO please take a look at this
RAMDISK: Can't find valid RAM Disk, Starting at 0

Chances are you'll need to complete my instructions at the bottom of page 1
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scap1784 wrote:
Here are the errors that I am getting

Code:

VENUS root # dmesg | grep bootsplash

Make sure they are jpegs instead of PSD's Use the export function, after merging all the layers
scap1784
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure that the images are in jpg format I saved them optimized for web.

-Scap
Dinini
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scap1784 wrote:
I am sure that the images are in jpg format I saved them optimized for web.

Well don't do that! :)
I haven't used photoshop for a few years but I seem to remember that "optimized for the web" gives progressive encoding and the rather simple jpeg decoder in the bootsplash code can not handle progressive jpegs. Try backing off on your encoding options and see if it then works.
Quantumstate
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speakin' of which, I just made a rather nice splash image, with a black-to-blue gradient and the Gentoo chrome 'g', in non-silent mode.

Only thing is, it doesn't seem to be possible to attach files here. WTF?
Medrakil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all phpBB forums allow you to attach files. You'll have to upload it somewhere and give us a link...
Quantumstate
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's unfortunate. Many contributions are surely lost as a result.

It's a complete bootsplash theme now. I've donated it to KDELook as Bootsplash - Gentoo Quantum Chrome:

[img:2157083d3f]http://kdelook.org/content/m1/m14123-1.png[/img:2157083d3f]
(What's wrong with [img] tags?)
OhSh33t
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just built a Gentoo server running 2.6.7-gentoo-r8.

Used Adobe Photoshop 6.0 to get the pics to fit correctly. Having never messed with Phothoshop before, this took a little time trying to figure out what the minimum requirments were in regards to whats posted in the FAQ. I.E. 96x96Resolution was the key. Then just adjust the screen size to what I have listed in grub.

Here they are:
The Honey and I
BadboyBill
DeepNessBlurred
ExplodingStar
MassiveCollision
Inevitable

Is there any way to make the Frambuffer screen more transparent? It has like a darkblue film over the background picture obscuring the picture. Would be nice to atleast make the blue film lighter some how.
Thanks,

Last edited by OhSh33t on Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Quantumstate
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photoshop?!? Have you seen Gimp2 lately? Had all I needed. Only stumbling block was when I needed to copy layer characteristics. There's no "Copy Layer", but you drag from the Layers panel n-drop.

Transparency is controlled with the last two digits:
box noover 20 20 1260 900 #04045498

You might like 50 rather than 98.

Control color with the 040454 portion.

Last edited by Quantumstate on Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total
OhSh33t
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantumstate wrote:
Photoshop?!?

Thats what the women uses and thats all I had available at the time. I would like to use Gimp but only for just this task. I'm sure that would take all day to learn.. of which I don't have the time. If you have step by step directions that would be nice. Photoshop was totally easy and intuitive unlike anything in Linux.

Quantumstate wrote:
Have you seen Gimp2 lately? Had all I needed. Only stumbling block was when I needed to copy layer characteristics. There's no "Copy Layer", but you drag-n-drop.

Transparency is controlled by the last two digits:
box noover 20 20 1260 900 #04045498

You might like 50 rather than 98.

Control color with the 040454 portion.

In what file are you referring two ? And you are referring to the framebuffer correct?

Thanks,
Quantumstate
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhSh33t wrote:
If you have step by step directions that would be nice. Photoshop was totally easy and intuitive unlike anything in Linux.

Need to know what it is you need to do.

Might be a lost cause to explain anyway.

OhSh33t wrote:
In what file are you referring two ? And you are referring to the framebuffer correct?

Look at the filestructure of themes in /etc/bootsplash. Under config, there is a config file for each rez. Check in that file, at the bottom for this. The config file allows you to set the size of boxen (and thermometer bar for silent), and just about every other relevant setting for bootsplash.

Might check my kdelook entry above.
Quantumstate
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Photoshop intuitive", "Linux not intuitive". {smolder, smolder}

I guess this is why $millions are spent on Photoshop training and hundreds of books have been written on how to use it? Seems to me that dragging and dropping layer characteristics is more intuitive (once you learn to expect it) than the mechanical Photoshop Layers|Copy Layer/Paste Layer.

I'll grant that Linux is a bitch to set up. But once it's set up as you like it, it's a dream to use, unlike Windows which I consider to be big, dumb, presumptuous, and patronizing.
OhSh33t
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantumstate wrote:
Need to know what it is you need to do.

Might be a lost cause to explain anyway.

All I want to do or know for now, is to take a picture and modfiy its size to be 1024x768 and its res to be 96. I don't really care about messing with color and all the other bells and whistles.. Just enough to get the pic loaded into bootspash and framebuffer.. :D

Quantumstate wrote:
OhSh33t wrote:

Look at the filestructure of themes in /etc/bootsplash. Under config, there is a config file for each rez. Check in that file, at the bottom for this. The config file allows you to set the size of boxen (and thermometer bar for silent), and just about every other relevant setting for bootsplash.

Might check my kdelook entry above.

Thanks. I found it just as you were posting.

Quantumstate wrote:
"Photoshop intuitive", "Linux not intuitive". {smolder, smolder}

Don't get me wrong. I'm totally IN luv with Linux. But IMHO Linux's only weak point is the fact that the documentation is written by "Programmers for Programmers", not aspiring young kids that wish to learn something besides M$ Windows. This is a Hackers playground in its right.
This is what I find (Can make) Linux totally counter intuitive. So please don't get me wrong. I just see a JEM that needs alittle polishing. Thats all. And I'll do my best to help in that area as I mature with Linux.

As for PhotoShop. I know nothing about Photoshop. I just found.. Open file > Image Size.. resize and save.. to be very intuitive.. for a first timer. Granted, I'm not talking about all the other qzillions of others things that you can do with it. I just resized to 1024x768@96resolution..
I'll download the Gimp and give it shot. Any pointers are appreciated.

Thanks for your helpfull advice.
Quantumstate
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NP.

As you found, for bootsplash it's important to set rez to 94dpi, and that it be .jpg . Only other thing to remember about image format is do not save as progressive, for bootsplash.

Size the image to one of the 4 standards, and set rez with Image|ScaleImage. In the dialog you'll see a little 'chain' next to Resolution; break that to unlink aspect ratio (w to h). Set New Width, Height, & Rez. Select Interp.= Cubic, unless you have a gradient like my bootsplash, in which case set Linear. Cubic is preferred all-round tho. OK.

An important concept is Layers. In my case I started with a New image filled with the background color (black), which is set in the back one (of two) color boxes in the first Gimp panel. You could also start with an image for the first layer. Then using the menu I made a New Layer (in which to put the gradient), which layer I set to Transparent. Selected the Gradient tool in the first Gimp panel and got Blend Options in the panel below. For Gradient there I set ForegroundToTransparent, and in the Foreground Color box above, I set the blue. Then to make the gradient in the image, I drew the gradient line from bottom to top -- blammo.

For the chrome logo, I opened the graphic from LiveCD2004.0 Silent, into Gimp. I wanted only the chrome 'g', so had to select it somehow. Fortunately the background is a fairly uniform color, which makes it easier to select than the 'g' itself. So I will select the background, then invert the selection. I chose the magicwand ("SelectContigRegions") tool in the first Gimp box and clicked on the blue background of the source image (silent). Voila, much was selected, but not all. So I zoomed in and continued to select the background shades of blue by holding <shift> when clicking (add), until all but the 'g' was selected. Select|Invert. Now it's the 'g' selected, instead of the background. Edit|Copy. Go to my target image and Layer|New a Transparent layer. Edit|Paste. (Probably could have just drag-n-dropped, source-to-target, but doing it mechanically, got it centered) While on the 'g' layer, Filters|Enhance|Sharpen, two times (I'm a stickler for quality).

OK, you may have noticed in faked pictures before, that the faked part looks grafted-in. It just has a distinct edge quality. Well there's an advanced tool now called a convolver, which was designed just for that. Select the Blur tool in the first Gimp window, and while on the 'g' layer, run the convolver around all its edges. No need to be particularly careful. Blends it right nicely. Save as .jpg with settings on higher quality, and you're done. In this save, it'll object that it must flatten all the layers, as .jpg can't handle layers, so Export. I recommend also saving as .xcf for future tweaking.

Using layers allows you to go back later and make changes to your graphic, independent of other major parts of it. Catch is, you must at some point have saved your image in Gimp's native format, .xcf in order to go back and change it. When you are on a given layer (refer to the Layers control box), you can only make changes to that layer. I convolved in the third layer, to affect only the 'g'. Name your layers, to keep track.

You're into photos. I notice in your 'honey&I pic there's lots of stippling, due to film graininess. There are special tools to correct this in Filters. (do this before re-sizing, or it will amplify the error) Not to mention Gimp Sharpness filters, which used to be available only to intelligence analysts. Unsharp Mask is preferred for photos, if you have the settings right. Always correct the WORST problem FIRST. Levels is useful for off-color or dark photos, but use with caution, as it removes information. I've brought back black dageurrotypes with Levels.

From here, the only other major concept to have is Alpha Channels, but that's too much for now.

Hope this helps.
firex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a feeling i was ignored, ok, i try again:
bootsplash didn't work with vga=0x31B if i use vga=0x31A it works but after start of X my console show only colored boxes i have
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)
kernel:
2.6.7-gentoo-r7
nvidia-kernel-1.0.6106
nvidia-glx-1.0.6106

my X working 1280x1024x24 it is equal to vga=0x31B
whats wrong?
can anybody help me?
OhSh33t
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

firex wrote:
i have a feeling i was ignored, ok, i try again:

Your using the wrong thread I think. On page one of this thread it says:

Quote:
Post questions, problems and answers on the support thread.

I would post your same question as well as a copy of "grub.conf" and any output from "dmesg" when this fails after bootup.

This is just a shot in the dark but I don't think FB/Boot splash will work at 24bit. I think it only works at 16bit. I could be wrong. But I thought I ran into a similar problem and what fixed it was setting my XF86Config back to a "Default Depth of 16" or 16 bit... for me this was 1024x768@16 and vga=0x317 in grub.conf

Check this out: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=990802#990802
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 18 of 27

Jump to: