Need a little help getting my DVD+R burner working
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulisdead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Need a little help getting my DVD+R burner working Reply with quote

After having to wait a week for the first drive to be RMA'd, I've finally got my DVD burner. First thing I need to know is, what do I need in my devfsd.conf file for a dvd burner. I've got it working as just a DVD rom right now, and already have SCSI emulation working on the drive, and have UDF read and write support built into my kernel.

I know DVD+R still isn't well supported in Linux, but I did find this info http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/#growisofs
And it recommends I find tar files for the apps I need, such as growisofs and dvd+rw-tools, however they only have .c files there, and on google I've only been able to find RPMs and Debs.

I already did an emerge dvdrtools and cdrtools-dvdr, just to see if maybe they can do anything with the drive, but
first I need it setup in devfsd.conf correctly.
paulisdead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm blind, I found the dvd+r-tools tar ball, my browser was just cutting off part of the name and I didn't see it. I think I'm all set, I just can't quite figure out the command to make an iso image of a DVD for burning with either mkisofs or growisofs? The mkisofs man page is huge and confusing, but I'm trying to sort through it.

*edit* I'm trying dd if=/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd of=file.iso

Well, I've got the image, problem is it's 7.7GBs. hmm. Wonder what I have to do to get the size down to the 4.4GB a DVD+R can hold (that's 4.4 real GBs, not the retailer BS 4.7GBs)
dcstimm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulisdead wrote:
OK, I'm blind, I found the dvd+r-tools tar ball, my browser was just cutting off part of the name and I didn't see it. I think I'm all set, I just can't quite figure out the command to make an iso image of a DVD for burning with either mkisofs or growisofs? The mkisofs man page is huge and confusing, but I'm trying to sort through it.

*edit* I'm trying dd if=/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd of=file.iso

Well, I've got the image, problem is it's 7.7GBs. hmm. Wonder what I have to do to get the size down to the 4.4GB a DVD+R can hold (that's 4.4 real GBs, not the retailer BS 4.7GBs)

dd doesnt bi pass the macrovision problems. I dont know if there is a easy way of ripping a dvd to anything but divx. But I would think transcode or dvd:rip would work.
paulisdead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using dvdhackup, like rac suggested in irc. But it was still way too big. So I split the files up, used mkisofs to make it into an iso file, then tried "growisofs -Z /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd=image.iso" but It tells me that no media was found, when I have a DVD+R in there. If I have a non DVD+R in there (like a CD or DVD movie), it immediately tells me that it's not DVD+R and won't burn, so something's kind of working there.
Kabuto
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCSI Emulation is only for CD-RW. Just point it to the IDE /dev. You can change the /dev entry in /etc/devfsd.conf. I have gone to DVD+RW fine but I have never tried DVD+R yet. You might want to get a DVD+RW to play with if you don't already.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: