Filesystem benchmark wierd results...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsosic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Filesystem benchmark wierd results... Reply with quote

I've begin a very intense FS performance test, and after testing only few filesystems, I've encountered really wierd results... I was planning to publish it in documentation and tips/tricks section of Gentoo Forums. My first test is writing speed test -> "time cp -a /usr /partition". /usr and /partition are on the different HDDs. Second test is reading speed test "time tar -cf - /partition | cat > /dev/null". One of the last tests is bonnie++, and for what it seems, bonnie++ gives me totally oposite results of the two previous tests. For example, copying 4.1gb /usr dir on stock XFS lasts 11m, and on JFS 14min, but JFS gets 5-10% better results on bonnie++ test. What do you think, why is this happening?
sageman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does bonnie++ determine the results? It is widely known that XFS is much more processor intensive than other filesystems, which might account for its lower score.
Enlight
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sageman wrote:
How does bonnie++ determine the results? It is widely known that XFS is much more processor intensive than other filesystems, which might account for its lower score.

@ kakashi senseï : Not that much, it depends of the number of AG's and log buffers. JFS is by far the less cpu intensive, But on today's machines hard drive is the bottleneck. Plus, I rather by far real world test in the spirit of what I could myself do, than random benchmark.
sageman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enlight wrote:
sageman wrote:

@ kakashi senseï : Not that much, it depends of the number of AG's and log buffers. JFS is by far the less cpu intensive, But on today's machines hard drive is the bottleneck. Plus, I rather by far real world test in the spirit of what I could myself do, than random benchmark.

Maybe it's not *that* much, but it's quite a bit more than other filesystems :). However, the benchmark might be taking that into account. I agree, a real world test would be much more important.

Yeah, hard drives are so much the bottleneck. But even processors are a bottleneck compared to the speeds that can be reached over networks (using Fiber, basically goes the speed of light). If hard drives have advanced as much as networks in the same time, there'd be hard drives that exist today which would have a petabyte of storage and transfer 500 GB per second.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: