Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
xscreensaver build problems with fresh Gentoo 1.2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mal Syned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:09 am    Post subject: xscreensaver build problems with fresh Gentoo 1.2 Reply with quote

While attempting to emerge xscreensaver on a friend's brand new Gentoo 1.2 I'm having some problems. xscreensaver is refusing to build, complaining about being unable to find gtk-config and failing to link properly, spitting up with all sorts of GTK and GDK errors.

On my own system, which started off as a 1.1a, I didn't have this problem. When I looked into it, I found that my xscreensaver is happily linked against gtk-1.2.10 (which comes with a gtk-config script). The latest Gentoo only installs gtk-2 (this seems a little premature to me, as application vendors are still trying to port to it) and xscreensaver (mistakenly) claims to depend on "x11-libs/gtk+" without specifying a version.

In addition, emerge gtk+-1.2.10-r8 claims that that package does not exist, even though it's in the portage tree and doesn't appear to be masked. I finally emerged the ebuild file directly, and so far everything seems to be working fine, but we'll see when gnome is all done buildiing.

I'm having a blast with Gentoo, but I thought you'd like the heads up that a fresh Gentoo 1.2 has some issues that might discourage a newcomer.

--Mal Syned[/img]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: