Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Modular OpenOffice
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should there be modular OpenOffice ebuilds?
Yes
84%
 84%  [ 138 ]
No
6%
 6%  [ 10 ]
Don't Care
9%
 9%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 164

aidy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's certainly possible, in ubuntu for example, you can uninstall the components you don't want
tuxmagi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aidy wrote:
it's certainly possible, in ubuntu for example, you can uninstall the components you don't want

The difference in doing it in Gentoo is that we will actually be selecting which components to compile and not compile. Ubuntu and other binary distros have the whole suite already built and it is a trivial thing to not install certain binaries. Hence, I would guess that editing the ebuild for openoffice-bin could accomplish the modular goal that we are looking for. Doing it for the source ebuild would be more difficult.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuxmagi wrote:
Aidy wrote:

The difference in doing it in Gentoo is that we will actually be selecting which components to compile and not compile. Ubuntu and other binary distros have the whole suite already built and it is a trivial thing to not install certain binaries. Hence, I would guess that editing the ebuild for openoffice-bin could accomplish the modular goal that we are looking for. Doing it for the source ebuild would be more difficult.
I agree, this is a key point.

Assuming you only wanted to install oowriter, I'm curious if the binaries they install actually remove the bloat that oocalc, ooimpress, etc. has, or if Ubuntu simple doesn't install the other executables.

Either way, we have openoffice-bin, maybe a we can split up the binaries and offer those if the source is too difficult to modularize.

EDIT: I kinda anwsered my own question. I found this site that details the Ubuntu OO build:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hoary/editors/openoffice.org2
You can click on the package and see the files it contains.

I think it would be pretty simple for gentoo to provide similar binaries. I know I personally never use oodraw, ooweb, and things like that.
sageman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikegpitt wrote:

Either way, we have openoffice-bin, maybe a we can split up the binaries and offer those if the source is too difficult to modularize.

Well, that'd definitely be a start.

Was KDE's source split upstream? Or was it just easier to do for some reason (like it was simply passing data to configure or there were alreadly seperate makefiles for the different parts or what?).

I think, once I have some time, I want to look at the whole OO compile stage. However, I really want to get Frets on Fire (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-487526-highlight-frets.html) working first.
SeeksTheMoon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OO uses it's own python. Maybe with a modular OO it's possible to use the system install of python too.
tuxmagi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Build Troubles Reply with quote

I ran into some unexpected delays while preparing to dissect the OpenOffice install process. Some of the dependencies failed installation (I didn't even have xorg install on the box yet). I'm working to clean up these problems as soon as possible and then I'll start tackling OpenOffice.
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningwithscissors wrote:
Icer wrote:

You want this quickly into dev's attention? Then file a bug. That should do it. :D

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=103378

So, don't bother.

The only way the devs will do it is if someone does the work for them and develops a patch for splitting the ebuild.
StarDragon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would totally rock!

It makes sense too! Thanks guys, its ideas like these that keep Open Source moving forward. 8)
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarDragon wrote:
That would totally rock!

It makes sense too! Thanks guys, its ideas like these that keep Open Source moving forward. 8)

Actually, I think it was the logical next step when the Gentoo devs announced the KDE splitted ebuilds.
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Build Troubles Reply with quote

tuxmagi wrote:
I ran into some unexpected delays while preparing to dissect the OpenOffice install process. Some of the dependencies failed installation (I didn't even have xorg install on the box yet). I'm working to clean up these problems as soon as possible and then I'll start tackling OpenOffice.

You're a good man, Charlie Brown.
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective wrote:

Actually, I think it was the logical next step when the Gentoo devs announced the KDE splitted ebuilds.

I think that was because KDE packages were available as seperate source packages from upstream. I don't think that is the case with OO.org
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningwithscissors wrote:
Q-collective wrote:

I think that was because KDE packages were available as seperate source packages from upstream. I don't think that is the case with OO.org

I certainly can't find a seperate konqueror, konsole or kstars package upstream. What are you talking about?
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective wrote:

I certainly can't find a seperate konqueror, konsole or kstars package upstream. What are you talking about?
Well kstars is here: http://edu.kde.org/kstars/ as a seperate d/l, although the others you mentioned are released as part of KDE.

I've played with the KDE source before, and I think a key difference is that KDE is logically broken into components when you view the source (konq dir, konsole dir, etc.), making it less of a daunting task when breaking it up. OO IMHO would be very difficult to pull apart. (Unless you just go the binary approach, as mentioned above.)
tuxmagi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Modular openoffice-bin Stage 1 Reply with quote

I've made an ebuild that allows the user to select what to install from writer, calc, math, draw, and impress using USE flags. This is the first ebuild I've ever really edited, so bear with me. Anyway, here's what I have so far: http://igloo.serveblog.net/other/openoffice-bin-2.0.3.ebuild

It really doesn't save much disk space or install time. If anybody more familiar with the OpenOffice.org installation process could figure if any of the core* files could be excluded, it would be quite helpful.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my knowledge, KDE was split by the Gentoo devs, but I havn't messed with the code, and some people use an obscure function-naming system that is a pain to handle (look over the Smaug 1.4a code. update.c is a nightmare to read unless you know what is where).

If other distros have, say, RPMs of split/modular OOo, then doesn't Gentoo have an rpm2tgz program?

Maybe we should start asking the people who do the coding for OOo to split it themselves (and in the proccess, clean up the code since it seems to be needed), since I think that no one will really complain about a split OOo (cept people who use it all, but that I don't think is often).

As for reading the bug report, well, I'm keeping quiet on that.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sending an update to this thread. It looks like the new OOo ebuilds are written in such a way where making it more modular seems simple.

Code:
for i in base calc core01 core02 core03 core03u core04 core04u core05 core05u core06 core07 core08 core09 core10 draw emailmerge impress math writer graphicfilter pyuno testtool xsltfilter ; do

Looks like you can pull out some of those components that aren't needed if you only wanted part of OOo. The key I suppose is to figure out which of those components are needed to run the various core OOo programs.
sian
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Modular OpenOffice Reply with quote

It would be nice to install only what we need in Ooo. For example, Calc and Writer but not all the others like base
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If wishes were fishes, ....
Merged above post here.
BeteNoire
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long has it been since first post in this thread been wrote?

And what have been done to get modular Openoffice in Gentoo, when other distros have it?

Why am I to install whole huge package:
Code:
qsize -fm openoffice-bin
app-office/openoffice-bin-3.1.1: 4141 files, 448 non-files, 367 MB

if I use only oowriter?

Of course OO should be modular!