Man, how things have changed.....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mediamike
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Man, how things have changed..... Reply with quote

I ran Gentoo on every single PC I had back in the 1.4 world and before that even. I am working on installing 2006.0 right now two on my PC's just to check it out again and man have things changed. I know it isn't Gentoo's fault, but Xorg, mouse, keyboard, VIDEO_CARD, INPUT_DEVICE, avahi and hal..... I've been out of the game too long. Been concentrating too long on the Cisco Engineering side too long I guess.

Hope you all don't mind, but I will be postin some questions.....

later

Mike
mediamike
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might add, I used to be able to install this distribtion with my eyes shut. But, like I said I have been away from it for a while and (my ego) I thought I could just jump right back in and get installed and get the X server working right away. Not so, I am struggling with the X server (I have it running, but not with the drivers I want, nvidia and ati). I didn't take the time to read the manauls (BTW, when I first started working with this dist. we didn't even have a printable version available, one that was printer friendly anyway) and left every single IMPORTANT USE flag and every other new flag that has since popped up. Mind you, I will figure it out, like one person stated in this forum, with the help of this great community. I never left, just got sidetracked.........
mediamike
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dang, I keep replying to my own thread. I just tried my old ID (Cyris) and it worked. I've been working with this distribution since 2002!!!!! Man, I feel like an idiot having the problems I am having right now.
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clever thing about VIDEO_CARD and INPUT_DEVICE is that all drivers will be built with xorg if you don't set it (which takes longer, but is pretty much as it was before modular X) so you still get a working system by default.
If you know exactly what drivers you need, you can set them and get only what you ask for.
StarDragon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use nvidia drivers I would se the nv driver first and then install the binary packages from nvidia.
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amne wrote:
The clever thing about VIDEO_CARD and INPUT_DEVICE is that all drivers will be built with xorg if you don't set it (which takes longer, but is pretty much as it was before modular X) so you still get a working system by default.
If you know exactly what drivers you need, you can set them and get only what you ask for.

Not true anymore. They now have default INPUT_DEVICES variable in make.defaults. Now if you don't specify anything it gives you INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: