View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will I Make a Good Userrep?
Without a shadow of a doubt, yes
22%
 22%  [ 25 ]
There are better people out there
11%
 11%  [ 13 ]
I think you are possibly the worst person possible!
11%
 11%  [ 13 ]
Who cares as long as you spend less time on the forums
13%
 13%  [ 15 ]
Only if you put on your robe and wizards hat ;)
41%
 41%  [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 112

WTFman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I knew there was a reason I switched to Arch.
edit_21
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh , a user rep that doesnt even use gentoo, whats the point.
djcapelis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone terribly surprised that when we asked a community of folks who, for the most part don't know how to use the distro or some of them, even install it, they elect a user-rep that perhaps, doesn't serve the best interests of those users who actually _USE_ the distro often and frequently on a network and with many machines for serious tasks? (Don't get me wrong, at times the forum is a valuable thing for users and is a great resource, but grossly-generalizing the community behind it is not made up of people who use Gentoo in serious ways but rather folks who have questions about it and like to discuss it.)

I don't know of a better place people should have voted, but I'm also not surprised this community elected someone that so... reflects itself. Statistics are a tricky thing, getting a good sample is key and I think we got a significant skew on this one.

I'll I can say is that I'm disappointed and hope for future decisions to turn out better. I think this one hurt a pretty neat fledgling movement.... it would really have been nice to get a userrep who was as kickass as the people who made the role were hoping for. I don't think we achieved that goal.

~Someone who delights in the irony of his user-status line.

P.S. Why are people asking what he plans to do in this role _now_ after he's been elected? Shouldn't folks have you know... asked this question beforehand?

Last edited by djcapelis on Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It Cokehabit.. we assume he'll do what he does best.. post like he is possessed.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djcapelis wrote:
but I'm also not surprised this community elected someone that so... reflects itself.

That is quite probably the most insightful thing I've read so far today.
djcapelis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTFman wrote:

You're still here why?

Why are there so many forum users here who don't use Gentoo?

What the hell happened to this place since I last paid much attention to it? This was, at one point, an excellent community of passionate Gentoo users who were using Gentoo in all a manner of crazy ways and 14 year olds writing up guides to encrypt your root partitions. Now it's flooded with people who don't even use the system?

That's... less than pleasing.

I suppose I'm growing off-topic now... but I would hope that some of you that care about these forums try and self-reflect a little and examine where you're going with this.
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djcapelis wrote:

I suppose I'm growing off-topic now... but I would hope that some of you that care about these forums try and self-reflect a little and examine where you're going with this.

I wasn't around in the days when 14 year olds distributed encryption guides, but I don't really understand what you are suggesting here. Are you saying that these forums have become less effective over time?
djcapelis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningwithscissors wrote:
djcapelis wrote:

I wasn't around in the days when 14 year olds distributed encryption guides, but I don't really understand what you are suggesting here. Are you saying that these forums have become less effective over time?

I'm saying the community seems to have a different feel.

When's the last time you've seen someone do a really cool deep hardware or deep software hack here? They still happen, but it's more "yay, we got gentoo to do what it was supposed to on X" as opposed to "we got X to do something it absolutely was never designed to do and it's actually pretty elegant"

So yes, in some ways it's grown less effective. For the 99% of questions users are likely to have though it's still a pretty good resource but I have a feeling there's something missing. It used to be that people here didn't care about whether their userrep was their nationality or whether he had a bunch of posts, but his technical grounding and what was best for a project.

There was a time when forum users cared for and had faith in Gentoo. Perhaps this is a reflection on Gentoo as well and perhaps this is the problem user-rel was formed to solve. I'm not sure, maybe someone who's been paying more attention lately can comment.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Will I make a good or crap userrep? Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
Well i got voted in (thankyou) and i can guess that most people either voted for me because:

A) They find it easy to talk to/with me
B) I have helped them in the past
or
C) People think I am so obnoxious and annoying that that can only be a good way - when speaking to developers - of getting things done for the users.

Anyway give me honest views

I think you got voted, because most people in the forum are not interested in the ml and vice versa.
The 'in forum vote' was already biased towards forum users. And face it, as somebody with your post count and your constant presence in off the wall, you have a lot of fans.

So, when will you subscribe to gentoo-user and post there regularly?

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
WTFman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was his evil scheme, when you are easily the most vocal person in the group even to the point of being obmoxious, at least everyone knows who you are and won't easily forget you. That was the only reason he got voted in.
runningwithscissors
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djcapelis wrote:
When's the last time you've seen someone do a really cool deep hardware or deep software hack here? They still happen, but it's more "yay, we got gentoo to do what it was supposed to on X" as opposed to "we got X to do something it absolutely was never designed to do and it's actually pretty elegant"

Perhaps the few technically brilliant users that were pulled in by the initial freshness of Gentoo have left for newer thrills.
Although I fail to see any new distro forums where similar discoveries or hacks have been posted recently.

As for the cokehabit bashing by everyone, it is getting a bit much. Although he created this thread himself, so he was basically asking for it. :)
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningwithscissors wrote:
As for the cokehabit bashing by everyone, it is getting a bit much.

Oh really? Some people have put an awful lot of effort into getting userrel up and running. To have that ruined by someone who didn't bother to read the job description until after he'd accepted the job can't exactly be very inspiring... Anyone who voted for cokehabit should come out and admit it, preferably with an apology to those who've been trying to raise the forums' level of usefulness and credibility.
atrus123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djcapelis wrote:
WTFman wrote:

You're still here why?

Why are there so many forum users here who don't use Gentoo?

What the hell happened to this place since I last paid much attention to it? This was, at one point, an excellent community of passionate Gentoo users who were using Gentoo in all a manner of crazy ways and 14 year olds writing up guides to encrypt your root partitions. Now it's flooded with people who don't even use the system?

That's... less than pleasing.

So you expect everyone who migrates to a different distro to simply disappear? And you're upset because this forum is no longer full of 14 year old hackers?

Things change. Nobody is forcing you to spend your time in OTW, which, by definition, is a place to discuss everything except Gentoo linux (read the forum description).

I love the Gentoo OTW community because it's full of interesting, highly opinionated people, and even if I don't currently use it, I still love Gentoo because it's the first distro that really got me passionate about Linux, and at some point I'll start using again.

Back on topic, I do think it's funny how some people are so upset about Cokehabit's new post as userrep. I mean, he was elected fair-and-square to represent the users. He has obviously taken the time to get himself engaged in the community (note the obscene post count); this may be the perfect role for him.

However, he will now have to watch himself a bit more, and avoid things, like, tell new users to forkbomb themselves.

I think he was a good choice.
djcapelis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atrus123 wrote:
So you expect everyone who migrates to a different distro to simply disappear?

Essentially... the aim of this forum is to provide support and a community for users of the distro. That's why all the moderators have to be approved by the main project.
atrus123 wrote:
And you're upset because this forum is no longer full of 14 year old hackers?

No, I'm upset because some of the technically competent people left.
atrus123 wrote:
Things change. Nobody is forcing you to spend your time in OTW, which, by definition, is a place to discuss everything except Gentoo linux (read the forum description).

I'm not sure OTW is helping this community any. Perhaps it should be hosted offsite.
atrus123 wrote:
I love the Gentoo OTW community because it's full of interesting, highly opinionated people, and even if I don't currently use it, I still love Gentoo because it's the first distro that really got me passionate about Linux, and at some point I'll start using again.

Good to hear.
atrus123 wrote:
Back on topic, I do think it's funny how some people are so upset about Cokehabit's new post as userrep. I mean, he was elected fair-and-square to represent the users. He has obviously taken the time to get himself engaged in the community (note the obscene post count); this may be the perfect role for him.

I believe the objection of most people is that the forums hardly represent the community. He has certainly taken the time to get himself engaged _here_ and he was certainly "elected" fair and square by the users _here_ but that's about all that can be said. Hopefully he does well in the role.
atrus123 wrote:
However, he will now have to watch himself a bit more, and avoid things, like, tell new users to forkbomb themselves.

And you wonder why some people object to him taking this new role?
atrus123 wrote:
I think he was a good choice.

I hope you're right.
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly will Professor Habit be doing? What does the userrep do?
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
I think you're a brilliant person to ruin any credibility user reps might otherwise have had. Good on you for screwing up a devrel project!
You can always count on me :D
nixnut wrote:
You've certainly left a negative impression on me with your behaviour so far. I can only hope you won't wreck the user respresentatives project beyond repair with the attitude you've shown until now. I hope you'll tire of Userrel as quickly as you did of Arch Testing.
your opinion means nothing to anyone so i'll just ignore you
Quote:
So what do you plan to do in this role?[/quote"
]All of the things i got fed up of suggesting a year ago and no-one listening. Thats why i left.
edit_21 wrote:
Uh , a user rep that doesnt even use gentoo, whats the point.
good god, bit behind the times here...
energyman76b wrote:
So, when will you subscribe to gentoo-user and post there regularly?
good idea, i normally only read the -dev ML
ciaranm wrote:
Oh really? Some people have put an awful lot of effort into getting userrel up and running. To have that ruined by someone who didn't bother to read the job description until after he'd accepted the job can't exactly be very inspiring... Anyone who voted for cokehabit should come out and admit it, preferably with an apology to those who've been trying to raise the forums' level of usefulness and credibility.
Oh really? Some people have put an awful lot of effort into getting Gentoo up and running. To have that ruined by ciaranm who didn't bother to read the job description until after he'd accepted the job can't exactly be very inspiring... Anyone who mentored ciaranm should come out and admit it, preferably with an apology to those who've been trying to raise the Gentoo's' level of usefulness and credibility.
djcapelis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ciaramn, though he may be quite abrasive at times, has done plenty for Gentoo and has always argued with the benefit of the project in mind. He at least at one point mainted the de-facto documentation for incoming developers. At least show a bare minimum of respect to people who have poured more of their time and effort into this project than you have if you expect to be effective in your new role.

Also... learn to take criticism better, I imagine you'll be getting a lot of it. You can reduce that _only_ by dealing with it the right way and learning something from it.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djcapelis wrote:
Ciaramn, though he may be quite abrasive at times, has done plenty for Gentoo and has always argued with the benefit of the project in mind. He at least at one point mainted the de-facto documentation for incoming developers. At least show a bare minimum of respect to people who have poured more of their time and effort into this project than you have if you expect to be effective in your new role.

Also... learn to take criticism better, I imagine you'll be getting a lot of it. You can reduce that _only_ by dealing with it the right way and learning something from it.
wow, you are good at showing how little you know about gentoo. I too remember how gentoo used to be but it is not a hobbyists distro any more and they have made an effort to make gentoo more avaliable to those who haven't been using linux for a few years beforehand.

Although a lot of the previously vocal people have left (people always come and go in any distro but you dont seem to realise that) they took with them alot of the eletist people who frankly, we didn't want. When i first started, gentoo was not as happy and as friendly place as it is now and that is a good thing.

Ciaranm, as much as i respect what he has done, has done an equal amount of bad to cancel that out, go and ask devrel... or do you even know who they are? What de-facto docs for devs? Oh you mean the one that isn't finished? :roll: Brush up on your facts before you make them
justwantstohelp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
What exactly will Professor Habit be doing? What does the userrep do?

Yeah, how badly can he screw this job up? How hard can it be? How did he kill devrel?

Last edited by justwantstohelp on Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@cokehabit
Will you make a good user rep?: That is totally up to you. :wink:
Congrats.

The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
dresb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't vote, but I think that Cokehabit's the kind of "people's person" that the job's description is asking for.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at least he deserves the chance to proof himself.
Maybe he will be a good userrep - and everybody will be happy. Or he will be a bad one - lesson learnt, next time only mailing list users are allowed to vote. We will see.

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this User Rep thing? Linkage? :?
dmitchell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papal_authority wrote:
What is this User Rep thing? Linkage? :?

Mad linkage
djcapelis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
wow, you are good at showing how little you know about gentoo.

Yes, clearly... I know nothing. That's the effective way to argue with someone.

I'm glad you're open to user's opinions.

(Of course I know about devrel, I was disappointed the day the project decided such an initiative was needed.)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: