HELP!! Visual C++ and c++
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yucao89
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: HELP!! Visual C++ and c++ Reply with quote

i bought a book on C++ called teach yourself visual C++ in 21 days, and i am wondering if visual C++ is a language or a tool, it seems that this book only teachs you how to use the tools on microsoft visual C++ and not the real C++ language. Can some one tell me the diferece between visual C++ and c++??
I wanna learn C++ not microsoft shit of language.

Thanks,
royko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visual C++ is an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) from Windows to help you write C++ applications for Windows. It gives you tools to draw your gui (windows, buttons, whatever) so you don't have to code it all by hand, and it helps you with some of the Windows API stuff. It comes as a part of Microsoft's Visual Studio.

Since it's a beginners book, there is probably some pure C++ info in it, but it's obviously tailored for MS's development app, so it's probably not the book for you if you want to learn C++, or write C++ apps for Linux.

A lot of GUI linux apps either use the Gimp Toolkit (GTK) or the QT libraries for creating GUI objects like buttons and things (there are other libraries for doing this...you can learn more about the different ones on the web). Kdevelop is an IDE somewhat similar to the idea behind Visual C++, but for developing KDE/QT apps.

A lot of people learn to write simple console type stuff (non-GUI) to get the basics of C++ before trying to get into writing GUI apps.

Anyway, I'd look for a different book.
markkuk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visual C++ is Microsoft's tool for programming C++ on windows. The latest version supports standard C++ quite well, but it includes lots of Windows-specific extension libraries like MFC and ATL.
Many "beginner" books on Visual C++ concentrate heavily on using MFC and are useless for Linux programmers. If you want to learn standard C++, get Lippman's "C++ Primer".
jrz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivor Horton's Beginning C++ from Wrox Press is also a good book, if a bit merciless, it'll whip you into hax0ring shape in no time![/u]

Beginning C++

check it out 8)
yucao89
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Quote:
but it includes lots of Windows-specific extension libraries like MFC and ATL.

Could you please explain more on MFC and ATL and IDE on windows and linux thanks.
credmp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

MFC is microsofts GUI toolkit, on linux you have GTK and QT being the most popular as already mentioned.

ATL (ATL FAQ) it's their active template library.

One good thing to do when progging C++ is to use the STL Port library (it is also available for Windows).

regard
yucao89
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: Well, does java... Reply with quote

Java also have IDE for windows or linux or it works different. what is API? (i know that is application programming interface but i never understand it!)
darkwing
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A book like Visual C++ in 21 days will already assume you know c++ and want to learn how to use MFC, ATL and COM. Here is a list of beginners books on C++.
http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/0hr/beginner_s_c__.htm

Quote:
http://www.accu.org/bookreviews/public/reviews/0hr/beginner_s_c__.htm

When people talk about an API they mean the functions, libraries, classes, interfaces that you can call and use. An API is often incorporated as part of an SDK (Software Development Kit). The SDK will include things like help files, compilers as well as an API.
wilson81
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found a pretty good book by sams publishing(same people who made the one you have) to be C++ for Linux
[url]http://www.samspublishing.com/catalog/product.asp?product_id={47F33797-291C-474E-ABCA-90BD4CA1FEA9}[/url]

you can find it on ebay for like $13 or half.com for $19
credmp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Well, does java... Reply with quote

yucao89 wrote:
Java also have IDE for windows or linux or it works different. what is API? (i know that is application programming interface but i never understand it!)

The Eclipse platform (emerge search eclipse) will give you a quite complete IDE on most OSes. IDE = an editor.

Java itself is also available on Linux, indeed. (emerge search blackdown)

API is a set of methods that you can use from different libraries etc. There are thus many many APIs available.

regards
Estariel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get Bruce Eckels "Thinking in C++"
it is free (as an ebook) and it's the very best thing out there (imho):

http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yucao89 sounds to be like you need to just look up some of the basic terminology to get aquainted with what you are getting into. Check out http://www.whatis.com and just type in simple terms like MFC, IDE etc to get what they mean. Also I'd suggest you learn some basic c++ (stuff that jsut uses console) before jumping into Visual stuff.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: