New install fails to boot.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris_andrew
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: New install fails to boot. Reply with quote

Hi, all.

I have just done my first Gentoo install, for a while. I have rebooted after the install, and get the following:

Code:
Bad magic number in disk label
Can't open disk label package

When I formatted the HDD's, I used
Quote:

mke2fs -j -c -c

so the HDD's should be fine.

Can anybody help this Gentoo newbie to get the installation to work on Sparc?

Many thanks,

Chris.
Sedrik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can be a missconfigured grub.conf
sblaineyuk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Whole disk slice? Reply with quote

Do you have a whoe disk slice? either /dev/sda3 or /dev/hda3?
chris_andrew
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am almost sure it was /dev/hda3. Because I can't boot, I am not sure how to check this, or grub.conf. Can I use the Gentoo cd as a rescue disk, to look?

Thanks,

Chris.
Ferris
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. If you have a liveCD you can boot, you should be able to do see how your disk is formatted by checking it with fdisk. Here is an example of a good disk from a live U60 (but not from the boot CD; this system is running normally):

Code:

Disk /dev/sda (Sun disk label): 19 heads, 248 sectors, 7506 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 4712 * 512 bytes

Device Flag    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1             0        12     28272   83  Linux native
/dev/sda2  u         13       226    501828   82  Linux swap
/dev/sda3  u          0      7506  17684136    5  Whole disk
/dev/sda4           227      7506  17149324   83  Linux native

On this system, /dev/sda1 is /boot, /dev/sda4 is root (/), /dev/sda2 is swap. So, I built the file systems on the disk thus:
Code:

mkfs -t ext2 /dev/sda1
mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sda4
mkswap       /dev/sda2

If you make a sun label in fdisk, you should get /dev/sda3 automatically, and you should never mention it again. :wink:

In you case, of course, it looks like for /dev/sda read /dev/hda, but the idea is the same. (I use a separate partition for /boot, but as the install documentation indicates, this is not necessary. Indeed, I believe most people do not use a separate partition, but I've never taken a poll.)

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Ferris
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, you are talking about grub and grub.conf. Since this is sparc, I hopt that is a typo, and that you really mean silo and silo.conf. And after you install silo, don't forget to follow the instructions about running "silo -f" or "silo -f -C /boot/silo.conf" or whatever, depending on how you set up your system (documentation and the output from the silo install will tell you what to do based on your specific setup.) If you forget this step, your disk will not be bootable: Running silo writes a boot block onto the disk, and this is a little kernel loader loader (it loads the program which loads the kernel, and the "silo -f" sets it up so that the preloader can find the actual loader). There is much more information than anyone could want at http://www.sparc-boot.org/ --- a site dedicated to explaining how silo works. :) .

Last edited by Ferris on Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
chris_andrew
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I emerged SILO, IAW the SParc Quick Install, but don't remember doing the -f thing. Hmmm....
Ferris
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As indicated previously, after you install silo, the disk on which you installed it is pretty much guaranteed not to be bootable unless you run silo, too (there should be a block of warning messages at the end of the silo install alerting you to this). Depending on how your particular system is set up, just running silo with no arguments might be enough. (I.e., if your silo.conf is /etc/silo.conf). In any event, silo must have installed into the actual /boot directory you are going to be using (separate partition or not), and then 'silo -f -C <absolute-path-to-silo.conf>' should always be safe, I believe. Please check 'man silo' for details, or look at the silo web site I mentioned a couple posts up.

Regards,
chris_andrew
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferris,

How do I achieve this, if I can't boot into Gentoo? I need to know how to use the LiveCD as a rescue disk.

Cheers,

Chris.
Ferris
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just boot it like you were doing an install. If you have /boot as a separate partition, you should be able to mount it and run silo (assuming you have set up a correct silo.conf). Or, If you have a good root partition on your disk, mount it on /mnt/gentoo (or some such), follow the instructions in the installation guide for doing a chroot into /mnt/gentoo, mount /boot (if necessary), make sure you have a good silo.conf, and run silo.

The keys are: (1) you have the installation CD; (2) You do have a good installation on your disk(s). All that you really need beyond that is a good /boot directory (separate partition or not) and a good silo.conf on the same disk. One way or the other, you have to get your /boot directory on the disk to be what you are calling /boot on the system you are running. If it's a separate partition and has your silo.conf in it, you can just mount it. Otherwise, you have to go through the chroot step.

It sounds confusing, but it really isn't. I don't know how your disk is partitioned; that is why I am going through these alternatives. So, think of it like this:
1. Boot CD;
2. Mount your root partition (on the disk) on /mnt/gentoo, just as if you were doing an install;
3. Follow the instructions to chroot into it.

4. Now, if /boot is NOT a separate partition, it is mounted, too. Make sure your silo.conf file is correct, and run silo as described earlier.

5. If /boot IS a separate partition, mount it onto /boot (from within the chroot). Make sure silo.conf is correct, etc.

In either case, if your kernel is good, silo.conf is good, and your disk is formatted correctly, you should be ready to go.

Sorry for the confusion,
Regards,
Ferris
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: