Questions about the USE flag...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albeit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Questions about the USE flag... Reply with quote

I'm installing Gentoo using the documented stage 3 install and everything is going relatively fine (a couple problems but they have been resolved). However I am not an experience Gentoo user at all, and need some help.

First, is the USE= thing a flag or a variable or what?

Second, most USE flags I've seen people using have only a couple flags set in them... I've tried to go throug the list of all the use flags and put them all in my use flag, adding a "-" if I don't want the flag. Is the proper way to do it? If I don't include one (ie I dont put it in USE=) and it's not on by default, if a package can support is it automatically installed or will support for that flag be skipped? (Basically, if a flag isnt there, will the support for it be installed?)

Third, I'm doing my install right now with no use flags, basically using all teh default flags. I assume this takes longer because it needs to install support for lots of things. I want to later go back with my customized USE variable(?) and reinstall all the packages, but with support for only the things I specified. Do I have to emerge each package individually? Or is there a better way to do it (somethign about emerge world?).

Thanks for the help!

PS: I tried searching for this info, but I guess the search term has to be over three letters... which use isn't. If there is an FAQ or something about this subject please point me to it!
phajdan.jr
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about the USE flag... Reply with quote

Albeit wrote:
First, is the USE= thing a flag or a variable or what?

I would describe it as a setting, or list of names. The closest thing you wrote about it is variable. It may be seen as a kind of variable.

Albeit wrote:
Second, most USE flags I've seen people using have only a couple flags set in them... I've tried to go throug the list of all the use flags and put them all in my use flag, adding a "-" if I don't want the flag. Is the proper way to do it?

Generally if it works and is convenient - why not. Your method surely works. Now it depends whether it's convenient for you. There are some tools to make enabling/disabling USE flags easier, such as euse, profuse, flagedit.

Albeit wrote:
If I don't include one (ie I dont put it in USE=) and it's not on by default, if a package can support is it automatically installed or will support for that flag be skipped? (Basically, if a flag isnt there, will the support for it be installed?)

A package is always installed when you request it. USE flags represent optional components/settings/options that can be enabled on demand. So if you enable it support for it will be enabled and vice versa.

Albeit wrote:
Third, I'm doing my install right now with no use flags, basically using all teh default flags. I assume this takes longer because it needs to install support for lots of things.

Not neccessarily. I would even say that it would take less time because default set of USE flags is not that big, and you usually enlarge it.

Albeit wrote:
I want to later go back with my customized USE variable(?) and reinstall all the packages, but with support for only the things I specified. Do I have to emerge each package individually? Or is there a better way to do it (somethign about emerge world?).

emerge --newuse

Albeit wrote:
PS: I tried searching for this info, but I guess the search term has to be over three letters... which use isn't. If there is an FAQ or something about this subject please point me to it!

If you can't find something in the Gentoo Handbook it doesn't exist. :P
nixnut
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Duplicate Threads.
See here
and here

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: