View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimlynch11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: new forum topic idea Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=59232&highlight=&sid=2b470bdffdc7a53e289f3defaf91101d
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=59666

etc etc etc

after realizing that there is at least one "Gentoo rocks and the forums are super cool" thread a day, maybe itd be a good idea to just start a new forum topic titled "Gentoo Linux Praise and/or Bashing".
most of the praise/bashing ends up in gentoo chat, which, while a great boost of confidence that people like our OS, i think it might be better served in its own forum. that way the small minority that wants to say "i hate gentoo, and you all suck" will also have a place to go when they post their "im leaving gentoo forever" thread that inevitably starts a flamewar. undoubtedly the praise threads would hugely outnumber the bashing threads 8) and when the devs are having a bad day or are frustrated with the progress of whatever they are working on, they can visit this forum, read some praise, and think "Im good enough, im smart enough, and gosh darnit, people like me" :lol:
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A historical note: there used to be a Praise forum, and it was folded into Gentoo Chat.
jimlynch11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha well i guess that settles that
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually liked having the Praise forum because it kept the "Gentoo is the best thing since sliced bread and probably even better than sliced bread once KDE compiles" threads out of my daily reading. I'd like to see the Praise forum return. Either that or have the mods start moving praise threads to the Dups forum because they all say the same thing and none of it is new news to people around here.
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't people feel a little sidelined? Having to post your gratitude in a small forum that isn't checked very often. I know i'd want people to know I loved Gentoo. Seems slightly negative IMO, but then i'm probably reading into it too much ;)
nrl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:
Wouldn't people feel a little sidelined? Having to post your gratitude in a small forum that isn't checked very often. I know i'd want people to know I loved Gentoo. Seems slightly negative IMO, but then i'm probably reading into it too much ;)

It would probably feel even worse to post for the first time, trying to be nice to everyone, and the thread gets dumped in the dupes bin. So perhaps we should just leave them in Gentoo chat, they usually have an obvious title so are easily ignored anyway.

Last edited by nrl on Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nrl wrote:
port001 wrote:

It would probably feel even worse to post for the first time, trying to be nice to everyone, and the thread gets dumped in the dupes bin.

I probably would :D
I've often thought about telling people who post praise for Gentoo that their post is a dup and that they should do a search :wink: Joke ofcourse...
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:
I know i'd want people to know I loved Gentoo. Seems slightly negative IMO, but then i'm probably reading into it too much ;)

Do you really need to tell everyone on the Gentoo Forums hosted at gentoo.org that you love Gentoo? Praise for Gentoo allowing you to do something new and cool that not a lot of people know about is one thing...but praise because using portage is so easy is preaching to the choir.
at240
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Farewell to 'Goodbyes'? Reply with quote

I know I'm not the only person who finds the many 'I'm leaving Gentoo' threads increasingly tiresome.

These ones, for instance:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-482330-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-475474-highlight-bye.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-443813-highlight-bye.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-352085.html

Could they be merged? Couldn't we have a sticky 'Catharsis' thread (in the Dustbin :P ) or something where people can post their goodbyes/rants and then ride off into the sunset? I know that these threads don't all complain about identical issues and that they do intermittently raise constructive and valid criticisms. But they basically are about the same thing: leaving a distribution because of its perceived weaknesses, instead of staying and contributing to the solving of these problems. (That's what's so annoying about these posts---if people were serious about addressing weaknesses and making things better, then they would realise that flaming on the forums is hardly the right way to get things done.)

Just an idea. What do you guys think? :)
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

id like to see them go, they are never productive, the people who "Leave" dont just say goodbye and never come back they visit and antagonize.

some people think its liek flaming, and should be allowed cause its just difference of opinion, I dont think its like flaming, at least with flaming your not trying to have a pity party, im sure some rule could be made against it , they are never productive, they never start anything usefull to anyone. Its not like a kde/gnome flamewar its called some person for some unknown reason yelling out GENTOO SUX0RS and trying to pick fights with people. The last one i saw the person said "quit answering me and go fix some bugs".

if you hit some of my buttons in the right order i might be inclined to get in on kde vs gnome with my KDE support but these quitting messages are insane, when 99% of the people stay around to see how many people they can get worked up with, saying bye is one thing but this is crazy.

-The First Law of Mentat
nephros
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any official reaction by these forums to these kinds of threads would be pathetic.
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could probably mass merge them against the ultimate i'm-done-with-gentoo-thread - however that one would probably become awfully big then. ;)
opentaka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed, they are really annoying, and most of the *reasons* they have are simply lame, like "brahbrah doesnt work", etc.
aidy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

++ for throwing them into some dark place

so that the ones who like to read those threads can go find them
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless they talk about specific aspects of Gentoo, (other than it just sucks or doesn't work), I suppose as long as then stay in OTW it's not a big deal. I've come to the conclusion that my resources are better spent not spending time in OTW. :)

The only issue I have is what about posts that are just wrong and or problems that are clearly caused by the user? How does this affect Gentoo when a new user reads these kinds of things?

I know moderating posts is a touchy subject, but some posts are plainly wrong. I have made some mistake posts myself and I correct them when noted, but how many posts are never changed? I think these kinds of things tend to cause more issues for new users.
opentaka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:

I know moderating posts is a touchy subject, but some posts are plainly wrong. I have made some mistake posts myself and I correct them when noted, but how many posts are never changed? I think these kinds of things tend to cause more issues for new users.

I'm pretty sure that most of these posts has replies which includes solutions that original user claimed on.
and sometimes I see these posts claiming about the nature of gentoo, such like "compile too slow!!! bye gentoo!"
thus I don't really think this will cause new gentoo users to stop using gentoo, hopely.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opentaka wrote:
Headrush wrote:

I'm pretty sure that most of these posts has replies which includes solutions that original user claimed on.
and sometimes I see these posts claiming about the nature of gentoo, such like "compile too slow!!! bye gentoo!"
thus I don't really think this will cause new gentoo users to stop using gentoo, hopely.

Sorry, I was referring to normal posts that have errors, not just these rant posts. My point being that once you start moderating threads, where do you draw the line. I think the mods do a good job now, no thread is deleted, just moved to the applicable place. (dustbin, OTW)
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps someone who knows phpBB intimately could work on user-defined filtering? Then those of us who find these "Farewell, cruel Gentoo world" threads tiresome could get rid of them for ourselves without censoring anyone else. Not to mention being able to filter out specific users' posts, or highlight the posts by people whose insights we find especially valuable.
opentaka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headrush wrote:

Sorry, I was referring to normal posts that have errors, not just these rant posts. My point being that once you start moderating threads, where do you draw the line. I think the mods do a good job now, no thread is deleted, just moved to the applicable place. (dustbin, OTW)

oh i see, yea I agree on that. :)
brazzmonkey
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't forget leaving gentoo doesn't mean leaving the forums...
beatryder
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sternklang wrote:
Perhaps someone who knows phpBB intimately could work on user-defined filtering? Then those of us who find these "Farewell, cruel Gentoo world" threads tiresome could get rid of them for ourselves without censoring anyone else. Not to mention being able to filter out specific users' posts, or highlight the posts by people whose insights we find especially valuable.

You and I are very much of like minds my friend. I was just thinking that my self.
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brazzmonkey wrote:

Oh no! What did you do? 8O Don't get them started on this! :wink:

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
beatryder
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmbsvicetto wrote:
brazzmonkey wrote:

Agreed, but he has a good point.
brazzmonkey
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatryder wrote:
jmbsvicetto wrote:
brazzmonkey wrote:

Agreed, but he has a good point.

well to make things clear i don't care you discussing about whether former users should say goodbye or not, i already gave my point of view in one of the threads mentioned by this thread's starter. i just meant you may not be using gentoo anymore but stay part of the community as being an active user in the forums. just like what i'm trying to do. though i have to admit i don't spend as much time on these forums as i used to do when i was using gentoo. still, i'm trying to help whenever i can.

so don't spit on leaving users, some made mistakes and went away, some realized gentoo is not the distro that suits them, for some other it just didn't work and they got pissed off trying to fix something. i believe the 2 last categories deserve attention as it may concern bugs or missing features. this, in my opinion, is useful feedback. i know what former users dislike the most in gentoo is compilation time - mainly because they think it doesn't worth the hassle (i do myself). and what they like the most is fine tuning and customization, as well as portage, the docs and the community.

users usually expect something when they try a distro. if they like it, they keep it. if they don't, i suppose they have the right if not the duty to let devs know why it didn't meet their expectations. some general trends may be identified, and it can help in improving gentoo.

i personally think that merging this kind of feedback into a bigger, general thread, is the way to satisfy everyone.

now you do what you think is the most clever...

cheers.
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brazzmonkey,

sorry if my comment sounded as a critic or as attacking former Gentoo users. That was not my purpose. Actually, I was making a joke and involving some long time and well known Gentoo users which have stopped using Gentoo. I won't list names, but everyone knows who they are and I was provoking them and everyone else! :wink:

PS - Just in case it isn't clear, I have nothing against former Gentoo users, nor would I attack them for that.

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: