HOWTO: Using Winny on Wine
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: HOWTO: Using Winny on Wine Reply with quote

Howto: Using Winny on Wine

For those that don't know, >>Winny is a Japanese P2P program in Windows. I am pretty sure there aren't any versions out for linux. Someone had asked me to try to get Winny working in Wine, and I did manage to get it working, and using these instructions, 2 other people were able to use Winny to get search results and upload and download items in Winny. I have provided these steps here in case there are others that are interested in being able to do this, on their systems that do not have the locale set to Japanese.

NOTE: I have no idea on how to actually *use* Winny; I also can't guarantee that these steps will work for you, but it IS a starting point.

Known Issues / Notes

I have read reports online that sometimes the fonts will clash/overlap in Winny. As far as I can tell, there is no way around this at this time. It doesn't seem to affect it's usability, but I guess it would make some things hard to read. ;)

Prerequisites

These are the things you will need that aren't in Portage:

• >>Winny (duh)
  • >>Winny's node list
  • Aruniupd.exe (Arial Unicode MS font)
  • msgothic.ttf (MS Gothic font)
  • msmicho.ttf (MS Micho font)

Some of these items might be kind of hard to find (the fonts.) Try google. :)

Also, you need to set up your system for unicode/utf-8 support. See the thread >>HOWTO: Enabling Japanese (or: CJK in KDE & Gnome) or the >>Wiki for how to do this. You need to set up the Japanese input as well, otherwise you may not be able to search for anything. This guide assumes that unicode support is installed already.

Installing and initially configuring Wine

At the time of this article's writing, the current version of Wine is 0.9.5. You can install it directly by using:

Code:

computer ~ # emerge =app-emulation/wine-0.9.5

Using the above method will work fine, until you update your packages. Portage will think the older builds are newer and will install the old build. To get around this, you can manually mask the old builds:

Code:

computer ~ # echo ">=app-emulation/wine-2004" >> /etc/portage/package.mask

After masking the package, a simple `emerge wine` will work and will grab the newer build, unless the Wine devs change their versioning again. :roll:

As a user, start Wine to create the ~/.wine directory by issuing:

Code:

computer ~ # winecfg

There are no special settings needed here. You may want to set up your CDROM drive if you want to use it with other applications, although this isn't required for Winny. Instead of repeating the CDROM setup here, see >>HOWTO: Using EAC (Exact Audio Copy) on Wine (Updated!).

Installing the required fonts

Now the fun part: Installing the fonts. For the Aruniupd.exe font, execute it using Wine:

Code:

computer ~ # wine Aruniupd.exe

This will set up the registry entries needed in Wine, and [hopefully] copy the fonts over to your fonts directory.

For the other two fonts, you need to locate your fonts folder. On my PC, it is /usr/share/fonts/corefonts. If this isn't it for you, you can find it by using:

Code:

computer ~ # find / -type d -name corefonts

Ensure that Arialuni.TTF exists in this directory, and copy the other two font files MSMINCHO.TTF and MSGOTHIC.TTF to this directory.

After that is done, update your font cache:

Code:

computer ~ # fc-cache -fv

Now X will be aware of your new fonts. Now it's time to tell Wine that these fonts exist. Start up the wine registry editor:

Code:

computer ~ # wine regedit

We will manually enter the entries required. Browse to the key HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Fonts.

In the font list, make sure Arial Unicode MS (TrueType) is there. If it isn't add it manually:

Arial Unicode MS REG_SZ Arialuni.TTF

Next, add two new string values:

MS Gothic REG_SZ MSGOTHIC.TTF
MS Mincho REG_SZ MSMINCHO.TTF

NOTE: Remember that the filenames are case-sensitive!

That's it for installing the fonts. Close the registry editor when done.

Installing Winny

Extract Winny to your ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files directory. It should create the Winny2 directory and place all it's files there. Don't forget to copy the node file to the Winny directory, or you won't be able to connect to anything.

That's all you need to do here.

Running Winny

Now for the most important step: starting the program. Users that have their locale set to japanese can simply start Winny:

Code:

computer ~ # wine winnyp.exe

For others who are using their locale with UTF-8 support, you can force Wine to run with a different locale using:

Code:

computer ~ # LANG="ja_JP" wine winnyp.exe

If the above doesn't work, try this:

Code:

computer ~ # LC_ALL="ja_JP" wine winnyp.exe

Of course, you could put that in a bash script and make it executable. Have fun!

Troubleshooting

Problem: Fonts have little boxes and aren't displaying kanji.
Solution(s): If your locale is not set to Japanese, start using LANG=ja_JP wine winnyp.exe

Problem: Fonts running into each other.
Solution(s): This is a known issue and I really have no idea how to fix it. Threads online have indicated this being a problem for some time. See the Known Issues section.

Conclusion

Hopefully someone will find these steps useful. I'm no expert on Winny or Wine, but lately I've been on a roll getting stuff to work on it...

Last edited by danomac on Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:57 am; edited 3 times in total
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need sleep... I'll finish this tomorrow after work.
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, it's finished. Enjoy. (If it works, anyway... ;))
nadir-san
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh cool, I'll try this out whne I get my internets, Ill elt you know how it goes. is the spec open, we should write a linux client.

has anyone tried http://pyny.sourceforge.net/

files seem to be available at http://fuktommy.com/pyny/
havn't tried it myself, no idea if those are the correct files.
ipridian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pyny link. It looks quite interesting, as the python code looks easy to decipher & read ... and it is based on poeny .. hm, nice.
htranou
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow related, anyone has tried Share with wine? Haven't tried yet, since I don't really have enough hdd space to use it. And I can't share the cache dir that I use under windows (ntfs partition).
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't, no... but using similar methods outlined in this guide there is a good possibility it will work.
nadir-san
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldnt even get share to work in windows
ipridian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6546

Fix for the double-rendering font issue. :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: