serius help needed.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abacus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: serius help needed. Reply with quote

Soo... I'm a real n00b or whatever You call a man who never ever used anything but win xp.
I own my first computer, i bought it 6 weeks ago approx.
Before, i never even had a look at computers.
A friend of mine told me that gentoo is a good os,
don't asky why, I don't even know what is an os.

But, experimenting with new stuff seams intresting.
So, if anyone can help getting gentoo on my computer, and can help me out, I would be very pleased.

I have a cd with gentoo.

I did read the tutorials, but...
1. I'm not english, i hardly understand it..
2. after reading the all the install tutorial, I only got one clue... I need help. Couse I did not understand nothing out of it.

Some... writeings did seam familiar.
Maybe my hardware is important, so i will post it here.

I have a boardbrand internat connection (At least that is what some dude told me when they came here to connect some filter or what to my phoneline) the bill says adsl 1024/128 (???)

my motherboard is an msi 865 neo-2 platinum
proc. is an intel celeron 2800 (can't read the first letter on the paper, it is dirty... Xhz where x is the first letter)
512/400 ram (I don' know if it is 512 or 400, it says 512/400 don't know why, gona ask the shopkeeper tomorrow)
h.d.d. 120 7200 8m samsung ide (nope, i don't know what the numbers mean)
and I have a philips lcd screen,
a mouse , the writeing says a4tech,
a keyboard with absolutly nothing on it,
a dvd player ( seems to be inside my pc) the writeing says it is an lg gsa-4163B
a pair of speakers.

I do have a strange stuff, lying here too, it is a d-link or what. di-4XX (xx is what i can't read.. too small letters. sorry..)

I have a windows xp installed, i use opera browser.

:) with mouse in my hand, I 'm dangerus, I can click on any icon, even if I don't know what it does.:)

So.. if someone can help to.. install (?) gentoo from a cd on my computer, and willing to write all down step by step in a language that a ... poor minded man like myself, who never ever used a computer since 6 weeks before, and is not english, i would be very happy..

If no help is available on this... level... then send me an email that ..
You know... noobs on this level are not supported. or something like that.
my email address is 2457@citromail.hu

Thank You for reading this.
It means that finaly You reached the and.
And do not ask, i don't even own a tv, or any other electric equipment, only a wash maschine, and a music center, and a frigirator. Oh, and a car. I don't use mobile phone, i bought one, but can't turn it on, and i got mad and smashd it to tiny pieces with a BIG hammer. I'm a smith :) I have a big varyeti of hammers to choose from, my pic what the 12 kilogramm one.
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: serius help needed. Reply with quote

Abacus wrote:
Soo... I'm a real n00b or whatever You call a man who never ever used anything but win xp.
I own my first computer, i bought it 6 weeks ago approx.
Before, i never even had a look at computers.
A friend of mine told me that gentoo is a good os,
don't asky why, I don't even know what is an os.

But, experimenting with new stuff seams intresting.
So, if anyone can help getting gentoo on my computer, and can help me out, I would be very pleased.

I have a cd with gentoo.

I did read the tutorials, but...
1. I'm not english, i hardly understand it..
2. after reading the all the install tutorial, I only got one clue... I need help. Couse I did not understand nothing out of it.

What is your native language? Translations of the Gentoo documentation can be found at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml. Also there are different language subforums available.

Quote:

Some... writeings did seam familiar.
Maybe my hardware is important, so i will post it here.

I have a boardbrand internat connection (At least that is what some dude told me when they came here to connect some filter or what to my phoneline) the bill says adsl 1024/128 (???)

This refers to your connection speed, and means you can download at 1024kbs and upload at 128kbs.

Quote:

my motherboard is an msi 865 neo-2 platinum
proc. is an intel celeron 2800 (can't read the first letter on the paper, it is dirty... Xhz where x is the first letter)

2800 mhz, which is the speed of the processor.

Quote:

512/400 ram (I don' know if it is 512 or 400, it says 512/400 don't know why, gona ask the shopkeeper tomorrow)

The 512 tells you how much memory, the 400 tells you how fast it is.

Quote:

h.d.d. 120 7200 8m samsung ide (nope, i don't know what the numbers mean)

Your hard disk can store 120 gigabytes of data, it spins at 7200 revolutions per minute, the 8ms is seek time.

Quote:

and I have a philips lcd screen,
a mouse , the writeing says a4tech,
a keyboard with absolutly nothing on it,
a dvd player ( seems to be inside my pc) the writeing says it is an lg gsa-4163B
a pair of speakers.

I do have a strange stuff, lying here too, it is a d-link or what. di-4XX (xx is what i can't read.. too small letters. sorry..)

I'm guessing a router if your computer is hooked up to it.

Quote:

I have a windows xp installed, i use opera browser.

:) with mouse in my hand, I 'm dangerus, I can click on any icon, even if I don't know what it does.:)

So.. if someone can help to.. install (?) gentoo from a cd on my computer, and willing to write all down step by step in a language that a ... poor minded man like myself, who never ever used a computer since 6 weeks before, and is not english, i would be very happy..

If no help is available on this... level... then send me an email that ..
You know... noobs on this level are not supported. or something like that.
my email address is 2457@citromail.hu

Thank You for reading this.
It means that finaly You reached the and.
And do not ask, i don't even own a tv, or any other electric equipment, only a wash maschine, and a music center, and a frigirator. Oh, and a car. I don't use mobile phone, i bought one, but can't turn it on, and i got mad and smashd it to tiny pieces with a BIG hammer. I'm a smith :) I have a big varyeti of hammers to choose from, my pic what the 12 kilogramm one.

With enough patience, both on your part and those who help you, you could get Gentoo installed, but I'm going to suggest you install Kubuntu first to familiarize yourself with how Linux works.
Abacus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

öh.... okay.
I'm from hungary. That is... ispeak hungaryan.

Thank You for the info on my hardware.
One qiuck q. Is this enough for gentoo?
I heard a lot abaout minimum specs, but as i already said, i'm not familiar with computers :)

So... I have a disc, i....think it is not a live cd.
It contains more than 500 Mbyte of data.

Will i be able to install gento on this hardware, and this disc?
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abacus wrote:
öh.... okay.
I'm from hungary. That is... ispeak hungaryan.

Thank You for the info on my hardware.
I heard a lot abaout minimum specs, but as i already said, i'm not familiar with computers :)

Yes...Gentoo or any other Linux should do fine on that system.
GoingDown
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abacus wrote:
I heard a lot abaut minimum specs, but as i already said, i'm not familiar with computers :)

Your computer surely is fast enough for gentoo.

Quote:

Yes, you are able to do so. However, before you go on and install, please take time to consider few things:

* Please, read manuals. Gentoo is not best distro for newbie - lots of things need to be done manually. But, if you are willing to learn, you surely will learn a much when installing! Just grab lots of manuals before starting anything

* when installing, take care that you are NOT formatting your whole harddisk, but instead install gentoo to different partition that where your Windows installation is. This way, you can still keep windows installation intact.
Sedrik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That hardware is easily enough to run gentoo, it is known to run on much slower computers. Don't worry about harddrive space, gentoo takes about 3-4 Gb to install.

I tell you what, go to www.wikipedia.com and look around that site a little. It's a online dictonary that is quite popular (maybe there is a hungarian translation, dont know) and search for different articles and see if it helps you to understand.

Here is an article about OS'es from wikipedia =) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system

If you ever find an expression or terminology that you don't understand try looking it up on wikipedia or google.
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoingDown wrote:

* when installing, take care that you are NOT formatting your whole harddisk, but instead install gentoo to different partition that where your Windows installation is. This way, you can still keep windows installation intact.

If he doesn't use the new graphical installer he might do okay, but I still think he should install Kubuntu first so that he could work from a graphical desktop. Perhaps setup his partitions like thus:

Code:

/dev/hda1 Windows
/dev/hda2 Swap
/dev/hda3 Gentoo
/dev/hda4 Kubuntu

Then, once his Gentoo system is complete he could convert the Kubuntu partition to /home.
Abacus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sooo, got this cd...
i did change the bot order to make pc start from a cd disc.
i have a network adapter in this computer (the shopkepper told me, i asked about the 512/400 ram, and You guys dooo know something.... 512 is the sieze, and 400 is the speed. it is a kingstone make.)

it is an rlt8139 d (?) the shopkeeper said that i gona have trouble with it.

pc started from cd.

so, where to from here?
Sedrik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you want to install gentoo the handbook is the way to go. http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml

You should note that it takes quite some time to install gentoo and that it sometimes can be difficult. Don't be afraid to ask us if you are stuck. This place is full of nice and friendly people that can help with almost everything =)
Abacus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The.. handbook is all about consol style install,
but if i bot my cd, i get a graphical user interface.
And i have an icon, saying gentoo install.

Nice, but if i try it, i always get "install failed" message.

Can someone post a tutorial on how to get the same thing i see when booting this cd, on my hdd?
As i see it contains evrything i need.. Office, browser, and i have internet connection.

That is all i need for now.

I tried to install gentoo several times with that icon, but i always get install failed.

Now, as things stand, windows wont load, maybe couse of bad gentoo install...
i can only write from gentoo cd version....

Damm... I need a bit help...
Sedrik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the graphical install is new and still doesn't work properly for everyone. Installing gentoo is best done through the console line.

I hope you where carefull when running the graphical install so you didn't destroy your windows install
Un.tot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well about 1.5 years ago, I was told that Gentoo is the best linux one can get.

I did not use any linux before, but I knew my ways about computers( as I'm taking care of nearliy every computer my family owns). So I installed gentoo, and it was a Nightmare, it took nearly two weeks making it run. I would never regret this, but if you're not familiar with computers:

TAKE YOUR FRIEND, WHO SAID GENTOO WAS FINE, AND MAKE HIM HELP YOU WITH THE INSTALL!!!!

(best way: chain him to your pc ;) )

He might be able to help you, and you won't crash your pc completely, if you fail somewhere.

Otherwise, I would also advice you to use KUBUNTU or UBUNTU first, to learn something about how linux works. My boy-friend is doing that, because he always messes his Gentoo up, and I really don't want to spend days at his computer to fix all that stuff.

greetings me ;)
Abacus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah never mind... i solved all my problems...
i calld up a desk guy at microsoft...
at least i have my windows back....

so... why not get help from the guy?
Couse this is a help forum, made to help people like me.

What do i see in linux?

1. is evrything but not userfriendly...
2. help consist of 2 things:
1. read the handbook/wiki (does not helps, only if you are allready familiar with linux)
2. Don't use linux.. or use a different linux. does not mather, all of them are linux..

linux is good as they say, but for a common user like me, it is nothing but a big source of problems...
installing windows is much easyer, and at leas it has documents that guide a newb like me.
handbook is a good guide, but only for people who...understand it.

this reply is meant to help spread linux... and is a not made by offence...
so, what i miss in linux docs is:

1. there should be a small tutorial on the graphical install menthood, with sample options that can run on evry computer. A sample install, that has all the common options enabled. linux does not have any of this, solution would be that linux scans hardware, and offers to install a gui, with most common aps, and all drivers needed for the hardware, and warns if it has found any hardware that does not have drivers on the cd.

2. all the handbox and other material ifound about linux is a verry technical stuff, a beginer like me can't get new info from there.

3. linux docs can't offer a guide that works on all computers. ofcourse x86 and other platforms need their own guides.

and that is all... most help request topics here could be omitted if there would be all i written down...

Anyway, thank You for evryone for the help, i'm glad You people have tryed to do the best....

linux is just not for beginers....

maybe when i become some genius i will give it a try again, but as it seems now, i had enough...
with windows i'm happy, works like a charm. No problems, most difficult thing is to manuver the mous on the next botton. linux can't offer this. I never experienced any problem with windows,
and i couldn't get linux running. I can't compare them.

seting up windows is easy... put in the cd, and press a button.
keep presszing the next button until windows boots.
insert all the cd you got for your hardware, and pressz the next button.
and tada... there you have it.

on linux:
bott up the cd, compile a kernel, but watch it, couse kernels that can't funktion can be made,
hunt for drivers,
do a lspci,
dmesg,
or wat ever....

too complicated.... and too many things to type... of course there is a graphical way to install, just it has no info on it.....
the bulit in help doesn't helps...
i can't get new info from the built in help.

maybe a good guide could be made if a technical men would sit down with a nooooob,
and let the noob try install linux, and the converstation that helps the noob could create a good guide or i don't know...
It is just embarissing, that any info on linux install is written for experts by experts, and the help forum is WAY full with help requests....

One q. why is this?
why can't it be changed? they say linux can be made very custom.
so?
shadebug
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your real problem was your choice of linux distribution.

Gentoo is not intended for newcomers at all. It's great if you're learning linux, but only if you already know computers very well.

The thing about linux is that although the different versions are all still linux, meaning they can use the same programs and do the same things, the way they do them is very different.

As a new user your friend should have recommended something like ubuntu or suse which has an installer which guides you every step of the way. Every option has an explanation by it so you always know what you are doing.
Sedrik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As shadebug said. Gentoo is not really a good starting distro.. Ubuntu has a really nice installation dialog but I can't say that the Ubuntu community can top gentoo's. It really is hard to find as nice and helpfull people as there are in theese boards.

Your friend should have helped you. It's not that nice to send a person out on such a slippery road that gentoo is.
Sophisto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are saying that windows is easy; just pressing "next" buttons etc. I would have to say that with any of the following; Madriva, Ubuntu/Kubuntu and Suse it are very much the same in terms of simplicity. Of course they are still linuxes but much much more user friendly (although Genoo has great support in terms of online guides and this forum). Of course you can still choose windows for simplicity but if you have any interest in being able to extend your knowledge in terms of how to control your computer then linux/BSD is perhaps the only way to go for PC-users! Also, Linux is free, more stable and is virtually virus free (at least I have never had problems with viruses).

But, in the end of the day its your choice...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: