Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
reiserfs or ext3 for standard linux install?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coplaniuk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: reiserfs or ext3 for standard linux install? Reply with quote

Very simple question, and I know it will turn into a large debate.

I want to pick a filesystem for my linux installation. This partition is the "/" mount. It will have no special files in it, just the standard linux base system. With this in mind, is there any advantage to installing reiserFS over ext3?

Every benchmark I see speaks about small files vs. large files, and it never defines the average file size or, for that matter, the purpose of the partition.

Assuming there is no noticable performance differences between the two choices...which would be easier to maintain? I know from past experience with ext3 that I have to deal with corrupt partitions from time to time, and I have to find the superblock that is correct and use e2fsck. I don't have much experience with ResierFS. Are the tools easier to use?

I appreciate your thoughts.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, whichever one of the two breaks doesn't matter if your superblock is corrupt... i'm testing software just now and it's pretty low-level stuff which means currently my drives never get unmounted when i shutdown and my ext3 partitions never broke down on me.
there's reiser at work on our server and just one time it broke horribly -- then again it was easy enough to maintain. doubles for ext3 though; it really shouldn't make a difference, so i tend to stick with ext3 because it's good ol' reliable ext2 + a journal. has the advantage that support for ext2/3 is better on other operating systems, so if need be...

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
1clue
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think ext3 is more mature, and for me at least certainly more understood. I'm currently running reiserfs for the first time, and have had no problems at all yet.

For me, the large files were the clincher. I need to be able to have files larger than 2gb. Other than that, I was pretty nervous moving to reiser for the same reasons you mentioned. A lot of the features of reiserfs are attractive to me, but you just never know untill you lose power during a write.
DieselPower
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use reiser only because I have had better luck recovering it. But that could be because of more linux experiance too. I had reiser go down on me in 2002 and messed it up trying to recover it (stupid n00b :D ) and again last year in a lightning storm I had no UPS on one of my servers and the power was cycling about every 5 or 10 seconds. Needlesss to say my reiser was screwed again and I have another UPS! But that time I was able to recover it easily. I have tried to recover ext3 and it seemed hard to understand what I was doing and I kind of gave up because I wanted gentoo anyway on that server. So it's just personal preferance, but if I ever have to recover it, Make it ReiserFS!!! One of these days I'm gonna try Reiser4 :twisted:
I have it my way no matter what, and I build it every time, 'cause they don't sell them that way. A genius is always has what he wants, but a rich person does not. I'm a rich kid with no money! That's why I chose Gentoo...
at240
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A vote for ext3, which has survived all kinds of hard resets and sudden losses of power here. 8)

I'll admit that ReiserFS sometimes feels faster, but I find it gets slower and slower over time (fragmentation, presumably).
nixnut
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Duplicate Threads.
See here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-2189.html

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: