10K rpm Ultra SCSI II drives on O2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishball
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: 10K rpm Ultra SCSI II drives on O2 Reply with quote

Got my hands on 2 x 10K rpm Ultra SCSI II drives for my O2. I'm planning to do a partitioning scheme that would employ the use of mirroring, striping and concat with both ext3 and reiserfs filesystems. Can someone please verify if the kernel drivers for 2.6 on mips is stable enough to allow me to do this without problems?

Thanks.

BTW. Am i making sense in doing all the raid stuff when in i'm using 10K rpm drives already? Will it matter?
fishball
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing. I just read about arcboot. Does it support mirrored /boot device?
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should work without any issues... but I wouldn't use ReiserFS if I were you... it's known to be a little iffy, even on x86. EXT3 with -O dir_index (when running mke2fs or tune2fs) is almost as fast, and more reliable.

Not sure about arcboot though. It should work, given that the partition is just "copied", but if one drive fails, you'll still have to manually change the environment variables to point to the working drive.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAID works if you use the Linux software RAID support. In this case, just create similar-sized partitions for DVH, and put all your kernels/bootloaders into the DVH area on /dev/sda. Then mirror the partition layouts between both drives (that is, make sure they have similar sizes per partition and a similar partition layout), and then use mdadm to create all your RAID setups. I use a RAID1 on my O2 with twin 18G drives, and it works quite well in this setup.

--Kumba
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: