sys-apps/file-4.17-r1 error
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpep01
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: sys-apps/file-4.17-r1 error Reply with quote

Sorry if this is a repost. Perhaps I need to learn better the use of the Gentoo Search Engine. I input :

Code:
sys-apps/file-4.17-r1  i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc

and received no valid query responses. So, this is perhaps a repost, but, I didn't have the patience to search 177 pages for the correct response - lol. Perhaps the moderators will chastise me and say "go here you idiot."

Obviously I'm a n00b to Linux (about 1.5-years) and Gentoo (about 10 months).

The problem originated due to my lack of updating my system. When I followed the advise of a good freind (whom I met on the Gentoo forums and whom lives on an entirely different continent) the problems began. The problems were of my own origination in that I wasn't doing good updates, and didn't know such things as revdep-rebuild et.al.

(Trust me, my idiocy has forced me to study - lol)

The bottom line was, I lost

Code:
emerge

due to my stupidity.

So, fine says I....

I'll do a new stage1 rebuild though I know it to be a hassle and 5/8ths (yet, a continuous learning experience - lol).

So, now we come to the meat of the matter, which is the subject line of this posting.

The main error lines involve the 16th of 203 packages (perhaps I should pair-down my use flags for initial builds, or, go stage3 as has been suggested by my friend in Spain) and this regards sys-apps/file-4.17-r1 with the errors:

Code:
unable to execute i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc: no such file or directory
error:  i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc failed to execute with exit status 1

Well, I am building this for an i686 system if that makes a difference. I know in the past I built it for the generic x86 and all worked a bit better. But, my use flags did change, and I did copy my /etc/config files to a safe place before I started the process. Yes, my original use flags did change to represent the higher value. (perhaps, at times, the lowest common denominator is a better choice - hmmmmm.)

At any rate, my limited ability at reasoning with Linux tells me that if I can find the correct path to the required i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc, then I can do a simple mkdir and solve the problem.

Then
Code:
emerge --resume
should work.

Doing
Code:
emerge --resume --skipfirst
doesn't work, since we fall into dependancy issues. (which is logical, since this is 16 of 203 - and danged, I need to cut back my use flags on the
Code:
emerge -e system
lol.

My basic question, thus (and in my long-winded manner) will be "what is the correct path to 'i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc' so that I might do a mkdir and solve this glitch?"

If I'm posing an improper question or making an inproper report, please inform me thusly. In this way, I too can become more diligent in my usage of Gentoo/Linux.

There was a time in my life that I was a Window$ power user. Linux, however, is of a much higher learning curve (for obvious reasons). If someday I can at least become proficient in Linux, well, then I'd be a happy camper.

With My Respect
Ferdinando
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: sys-apps/file-4.17-r1 error Reply with quote

kpep01 wrote:
Sorry if this is a repost.
[...]
Code:
unable to execute i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc: no such file or directory
error:  i386-pc-linux-gnu-gcc failed to execute with exit status 1

Well, a bit :P
Read this thread, in there you should find the answer to most of your questions about this kind of errors.

Bye
Deathwing00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Duplicate Threads.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: