while "emerge world": lower version for one package
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hede
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: while "emerge world": lower version for one packag Reply with quote

xorg-x11 7.0 is stable now. but i cant use it (AFAIK) because i have an older NV15DDR nvidia card and i want to have 3D-support.
so i have to use the old 1.0.6629 binary driver (newer ones do not support geforce2 nonMX) which AFAIK do not build with xorg 7.

so i want to use xorg-x11 6.x

but an "emerge -uD world" wants to emerge xorg-x11-7.0-r1 (which by the way produces many "blocks")

i tried (naive act) "emerge -uD '<x11-base/xorg-x11-7' world" but that didn't work, of course.

my question:
is there a way to do a world update while freezing some packages to special versions?
for example a (imaginary) file "/etc/portage/package.version" wherein "<x11-base/xorg-x11-7" would cause xorg-x11 to only update to versions prior to xorg-x11-7.0
ArsDangor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mask the versions you don't want. In your case:
Code:
$ echo '>x11-base/xorg-x11-6.9.0' >> /etc/portage/package.mask
Read the Portage documentation for mor information.
hede
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer, this is exactly what I want.

I knew there must be a way. I even knew it could be a file in /etc/portage. But i didn't get into this "mask" thing.
(I even read "man portage" (parts of, my fault))

And now I remember: I have used this some time ago (1-2 years)... damn
(package.mask no longer existed so i didn't find it)
Zarhan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note, I think you can go to a version up to 7174, which works also with xorg 7.0. Nvidia TNT works with that version, but not on any later ones - I think that is where they deprectated a lot of older hardware.
hede
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarhan wrote:
Note, I think you can go to a version up to 7174, which works also with xorg 7.0. Nvidia TNT works with that version, but not on any later ones - I think that is where they deprectated a lot of older hardware.

Then nvidias "Supported Products List" on nvidia.com for Version 1.0-7174 is wrong. There is no gf2-ti/pro/gts in this list.

The only 7xxx I can find which (officially) supports TNT through GF2ti is 1.0-7182 which is a newer 2006 bugfix release for older cards and newer 2.6 kernels. (oh, its very new: 26. June 2006)

But it's not (yet) in portage. :-(

nevertheless i thought only drivers in "x11-drivers/XXX" will support xorg7? this is wrong?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: