Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Revdep-rebuild: re-emerging --one-shots?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Revdep-rebuild: re-emerging --one-shots? Reply with quote

Something I have noticed about revdep-rebuild - it installs everything with --one-shot, which I don't want.

I've installed a fe packages with revdep-rebuild after unmerging packages, and have used it to fix any missing deps.

Well, because of this, I want to be able to update what is installed, and after looking through both revdep-rebuild's info page, there isn't a way to remove that option. I checked emerge, and I don't think I saw a way to regenerate the world file.

Is there any way to get back all the packages that were installed via --one-shot?
Klaus Meier
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revdev-rebuild -p show you the packages, that shoud be build.

An den then do a normal emerge with this packages.
Sohail
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is this command called regenworld or the --noreplace option of the emerge, I think both can help you to the update the world file.
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure why you are against using --one-shot for emerging packages that revdep-rebuild detects as being broken. This will reduce clutter in your world file, and they are still upgradable when using the --deep option with emerge (e.g. emerge -uD world).
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_alec wrote:
I am not sure why you are against using --one-shot for emerging packages that revdep-rebuild detects as being broken. This will reduce clutter in your world file, and they are still upgradable when using the --deep option with emerge (e.g. emerge -uD world).

Deep will catch files not in the world file? I was not aware of this o.o.

My problem with --one-shot is that from what it seems, it would break my ability to upgrade the files, which isn't something I particuarly care for, hehe.

Sohail, thanks as well. I'll check both of those out.
bur
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--deep/-D catches all dependencies of packages in the world file. And since revdep-rebuild only finds packages that are dependencies of world file packages there is no need to record those in world as well.

Just update your system using -uD (--update --deep) and all dependencies of world file entries will also get updated.

If you won't use -1/--one-shot the new entries in world would be redundant because the package as well as the dependency will be listed in world needlessly.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which then brings up the question: Why record the libs/deps in world at all then if they are not their own program?
Zarhan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dralnu wrote:
Which then brings up the question: Why record the libs/deps in world at all then if they are not their own program?

You don't.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarhan wrote:
Dralnu wrote:

You don't.

Ok, that answers that :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: