fully 64-bit build
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam613
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: fully 64-bit build Reply with quote

Has anyone managed to make a fully 64-bit gentoo build yet on sparc64?

I've been hacking at it for a couple of days, and I've gotten as far as building a working cross-compiler, but I don't know how to make gentoo use the cross-compiler in scripts/bootstrap.sh, and I can't replace the native gcc with a sparc64 gcc without causing all sorts of linker errors.

So my next thought was to attempt to cross-compile a pure 64-bit LFS. I have cross-compiled LFS before, so it should work assuming it's possible. Then from there, I will use the LFS tools to build a stage1 tarball and use that to make a gentoo system. This is a very long way to do things, but it's also a clean way.

So my questions:
1) Am I duplicating work that's already been done?
2) How does one build portage? Should I just download the tarball and follow the script in the ebuild?
3) In order to make a tarball, is there anything I need to do besides build all of the included packages, tar them into a stage1, and use stager to make the others?
3a) Can someone post a list of the included packages?
4) Does anyone know for a fact that what I'm suggesting is impossible? :)

What I'm working with:
Very experienced with Linux on x86. Used Linux From Scratch from 2000 until about two months ago.
Experienced with Solaris on sparc
Experienced with cross-compiling, although usually between completely different architectures
Hardware is an Ultra 2 2x300mhz 1 GB RAM 9.1GB hd

Also have a 2xP3/1050 that I've been using for some compilation, although it's really hard to cross-compile native toolchains because of hardcoded paths and the extra speed doesn't save much time. Maybe now is a good time to figure out distcc :)
xming
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Has anyone managed to make a fully 64-bit gentoo build yet on sparc64?

I have tried to get a gcc64 for userland (see my other postings), I can generate static binaries, compiled kernel with it and some smaal binaries, I have even got glibc in 64 bit and I can generate dynamic linked binaries but the dynamic loader (ld.so) in /lib won't reconized them so exec a dyn bin I have to
Code:

/opt/sparc64/lib/ld.so /path/to/exec

so the obvious next step is to use the 64-bit ld.so instead of the old 32-bit one and recolpile gcc64 so it won't be a cross compiler any more and then emerge -e world.

But as I am very busy right now I have put this on hold and I don't have any sparc, all machine are my employer's so I cannot try anything in my spare/free time.

if you need help/info please contact me, I can provide you of what I have now (tar ball of gcc64 and glibc64)

xming
squash
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

This sounds like really good progress, thats a lot farther than I ever got with it! If you have a tarball, I'll offer to host it via ftp for people to get and play around with. Also, any inscrutctinos on how you got it working would be great. I've got a couple ultrasparc boxes I can play with it on.

Squash
xming
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This sounds like really good progress, thats a lot farther than I ever got with it! If you have a tarball, I'll offer to host it via ftp for people to get and play around with. Also, any inscrutctinos on how you got it working would be great.

tar ball is here http://users.coditel.net/xming/sparc64-gcc322.tar.bz2 and instructions can be found by seaching in this forum (e.g. usinng xming as keyword)

xming

EDIT: here is the instruction https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=29434&highlight=xming+gcc
squash
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:38 pm    Post subject: Mixxed result... Reply with quote

removed poorly-researched post
64 bit is working... oddly enough, an int remains 32 bits, which had me thinking otherwise... Pointers and Longs become 64 bit. Also odd, a long long is also 64 bits wide.

Check this out:
Code:

cd /opt/sparc64
mkdir opt
cd opt
ln -s sparc64 ..
chroot /opt/sparc64 /somedynamic64bitexecutable
... works....

So now I'm working on building enough bits in 64 bit to be able to self-host a build environment.

Squash
xming
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squash, did you do this with the tar I provided? I never thought chroot to try the exec, hmm, nice got to try this on Tuesday

xming
squash
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did, however I'm not having much luck getting any farther. I was able to build a static bash and it would segfault in the chroot. I was able to get busybox to compile, but gcc segfaults when run in the chroot shell.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: