Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Running fan and computer cannot be turned on (SOLVED)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VisionD
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Running fan and computer cannot be turned on (SOLVED) Reply with quote

Hi there,

i have a really serious problem with one of my computers. Yesterday i turned it off and it just didn't really turn off. The fan kept running. After pulling the plug and putting it back in the fan keeps running again... and then the real problem appeared. I just couldn't turn it on again...

What's happening here?? The system is the first one in my list above.

Any ideas?? Please help. I need that stupid system for my university...

Greetz
VisionD

1. Athlon XP 2,4 GHz, 512 MB RAM, Radeon 9700 Pro GraCa
2. Dell Inspiron 8600, 1.5GHz Centrino, 512 MB RAM, Radeon 9600 Mobile GraCa

Last edited by VisionD on Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:29 am; edited 2 times in total
blendmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes when i pull the plug on my computer because it crashes or somthing, it won't turn on. in my case, all i had to do was plug it back in, push the reset button and then push the power button. this might work on your computer too. if it doesn't, try seeing if there is a reset button of some sort on the PSU.
geforce 6600gt
VisionD
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

thanks for the quick answer.

Sorry, but your tip didn't fix my problem :cry:

I didn't find a reset button on the PSU right now. It is a Super Flower ST-420TS. Any ideas about this one??

.. Meanwhile i start googling... :wink:

Greetz
VisionD

blendmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at this point, you should start checking to see whats wrong. try using a different power supply or a different outlet or a different surge protector (if you use one).
geforce 6600gt
VisionD
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

i tested the power supply in a different computer with my own cables. It works in the other computer :evil:

The only idea i have left is to try a different mainboard... but i hate to put my whole computer in a million pieces just to get that stupid mainboard out of it...

Any other ideas before i start turning the screws ??

Greetz
VisionD

Quarks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe your power supply is too hot.
If your power supply is too hot it could be that there is too low resistance in the power supply module and the mainboard gets too high voltage; then it wo'nt work. -> Try after it cooled down.

The mainboard can have a thermo-control. If it's too hot in your pc-tower the mainboard may refuse work.

Another possibility is that you have a loose contact in your power supply.
It may have worked in the other PC and then again not in yours.

Sorry for my bad english :?

Have a nice day, Quarks
blendmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you try swapping out the fan that was causing trouble?
VisionD
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

thanks for the replies.

@blendmaster:
It's not a single fan that's causing trouble. All of my fans keep running without even pressing the normal power button on the front. When i plug in the cable and turning the power supply on the fans start to run and won't stop again.

@Quarks:
I can exclude the too hot thingy. I didn't use the computer for several days now (wasn't able to test the power supply before) and i even haven't put the sides of my case back on.

I also would exclude the contact (but you never know :roll: ) because i tried my power supply in the other computer for about four times (with starting, using and shutting down the other computer).

Grrr... i use computers for a pretty long time now and i never had such an error. My tips still goes for the mainboard. What would you say?? I think i have to get it out of the computer and test another one (no idea where i should get one without paying for it right now... i had when all my friends are on vacation :? ).

alkan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is far fetched, but you can try resetting the bios. It is usually a jumper or remove the battery and wait several minutes before replacing it ( don't forget to disconnect power supply from main board while doing this, the little electricity from power supply capacitors may prevent the resetting).
Althougt the symptoms were different I had a similar problem, resetting bios solved the problem.

Another suggestion, that worked for me several times when computer wouldn't turn on (usually on old computers), is that you remove all the hardware including memory, hard drives, cd roms, floppy drive, video card, keyboard, mouse, monitor, fans and all the pci cards. then try turning it on (the bare mainboard), if it works (I mean if you hear a few beeps meaning some necessary hardware is missing or power light goes on), start installing one hardware at a time starting from memory then keyboard then video card then one hard drive and so on. I don't have to tell you that for each step you have to turn off , install the hardware and then turn it on. This procedure either works or help you identify the buggy hardware including main board.

Please applly my suggestions with care at your own risk.
blendmaster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do the fans turn on when you plug the PSU in or when you push the power button? if they come on when you push the power button on the computer, it could be that the fans come on as expected but the mobo is broke and wont turn on. but if this were true, the cd drives and other stuff like that would turn on too. you have a very strange problem. i would just keep swapping stuff until you find the problem.
VisionD
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

first: thx for your replies!

This IS kind of a really strange problem. The fans don't just wait to turn on until i press the power button on the front. There is this little switch on the power supply itself (on the back saying 1 or 0) and when you switch from 0 to 1 the fans start running... this is what i call strange. Sounds like a power supply error but that stupid thing runs in another system!! :roll:

@alkan: Resetting the BIOS is a pretty good idea. I think i will try this next (even if i hadn't changed the settings, this problem is odd enough). I don't really think that it could be the other stuff in my computer, because then i wouldn't understand why my fans are running without turning on the computer but i will also try this.

The absolut strangest thing about that is that the fans seem not to be running as normal. It's like they are running at half the speed they normally do. I have a fan for my CPU which can be calibrated but i know how it sounds running the lowest possible performance and this is far beyond that...

Man, i really repaired many computers in my life and i saw some disgusting stuff :wink: But this one seems to be a case for the X - files 8O

Still trying out to find that stupid error
VisionD

alkan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggested removing the other hardware because a "switching power supply" (that is kind of supply unit computers use) may not start functioning properly under certain conditions. May be one of your hardware overloading it. And it never reaches proper operation conditions. That may also explain why your fans running while it is off. These power supplies provides power even when the computer is off.

Still I am not sure, if you have a multimeter you may want to measure voltages on power supply cables, especially +12 and +5 volts.
Quarks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you say there are calibratable fans in your system. are they auto-calibrated by temperature? won't solve the problem in booting but maybe give a hint on your running fans.
so at least, how warm is it in your room with the pc? it is not neccesarry that is is very hot out there, the fans might be running by low temerature too. it would at least indicate if your fans are running right or if they could be steared by a broken mainboard?

sorry that I'm still getting on your nerves with temperature :wink:
VisionD
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Quarks,

no problem. My termometer says it's about 25° Celsius in here. That really shouldn't be too hot. I am living in Germany and i had about 30° C in here and something like this wasn't happening.

Okay, i tried some more stuff. Now my system is standing here in front of me: No HDs, no CDROM, ... nothing is in it except the mainboard and the power supply.... still the same problem.

Mmmmhhh... where can i get a mainboard now?? Will report when i tried that. Hope i won't break my CPU. Even if i unplugged CPU fans from several computers several times without anything happening i hate to do this!! Hope i won't break anything.

Greetz and thanks for all your help
VisionD

Last edited by VisionD on Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Quarks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you "flash" your bios?
If so resetting is not enough, then you have to "reflash" your bios. If possible get the original firmware back on your bios.
VisionD
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but i just did a normal reset like plugging out, getting the battery out, adjusting the jumpers and back to the original position, putting the battery back in and trying again (as described in the manual ;-))... NoGo!

I would even try to flash my BIOS, but it don't even run to the point you could flash it. When you switch from 0 to 1 at the power supply the fans are running on very, very low speed (lower than the minimum. I know how the normal sound is because it is not a automatic calibration, you have a wheel to do this at the back of the tower and i use it pretty often). After that the computer doesn't even react when i press the "normal" power button on the front!

Man, this is soo strange. In about an hour i will get me another mainboard. I really hope to fix the problem this way...

Oops, there go another 70€... :evil:

Quarks
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why don't you try a mainboard from "asrock" ?
its similar quality as one from asus and it's cheap! you can get one for less than 30 €!

Info from the Company:
Code:

ASRock Inc., established in 2002, is an energetic company with the combination of technology and humanity. Devoting efforts to bring customers the innovative and reliable motherboards with the design concept of 3C,“Creative, Considerate, Cost-effective “, ASRock has successfully established a well-known leading brand of the best price-performance motherboard in the industry.
Facing the constantly changing technologies of motherboard, ASRock will always keep the vision of the future and develop future-proof products upon our 3C design concept to our customers.
It is the commitment to our customers and products, like the sprit presented in our 2004 maxim:
”Fly to The Future with ASRock”

(use at your own risk of course 8) )
VisionD
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe i rethink my choice. Have to read some tests about it first...

Maybe here is another interesting fact. On the back of my power supply is the three way fan control. I tried all the positions now. There is Turbo, Medium and Auto...

... all give the same fan speed right now. Any ideas about that?? I still would think that the power supply got killed somehow but it worked good in the other computer 8O I am confused....

benesm1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: CMOS reset Reply with quote

Maybe you should try resetting your CMOS. There is a jumber on the mainboard, with which the task could be accomplished. Refer to the MOBO's manual. When resetting the CMOS, the computer must be plugged off the power outlet.
VisionD
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer (because i posted it a few posts earlier)... been there, done that, ... no go.

Here comes a really sad story: My father didn't want to wait for his computer anymore (i still have my NB left :twisted: ) and bought a new mobo.

Guess what, i put it in (just the mobo and the power supply) turned my power supply on (just at the back from 0 to 1 not on the front after giving the computer power) still the same error.

Now i am sitting here, no clue about what to do AND having a brand new mobo in my tower and my old, still functional (!!) mobo, is lying around... and i still can't figure out that stupid error: Fans running on low level just after switching from 0 to 1 on the power supply and my computer still can't be turned on!

You might say, it's the power supply for sure (because no other s*** is left in my testing system) but i tested it in a different computer and it worked fine...

Man, i am desperated :cry: Any ideas???

Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, this is a weird problem. Especially after replacing the MB and it's still there. I was first going to say, sounds like your computer went into sleep mode and won't wake up.

I haven't heard you mention any beeps. You probably already know about them from experience. Is there any beep codes and if so have you gone somewhere like http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/index-i.htm to see.

If you have the time, a better synopsis of what you have done in a table might help others solve this for you, instead of filtering thru the thread.

I get this:
Code:

1) Only fans seem to be running. All fans on and run without pressing power button on case, just have to turn on power supply and they run.

2) Tested PS on another computer and works.

3) Room is 25 celsius and any other heat problems ruled out.

4) Removed all but MB and PS and same problem.

5) Replaced MB.

jeopardy music in background

Check the first thing I mentioned on the bios beep codes. If that is ruled out:

1) Possible HD corruption. Boot with a floppy or Gentoo Live CD or Knoppix.

2) Power button on case broke, the PS won't power the MB until it turns on. The fan thing is weird though. Check switch out with meter.

3) Reset button on case stuck in wrong position. Can't remember if they are NO or NC, probably depends on manufacture. I haven't tried this, but if can remove the wires that plug into the MB for the reset button might be able to test this or check with meter.

– Steven Wright
d_adams
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a possible solution: pull the reset wires off the motherboard (usually blue and white) where all the other front panel connections are. Do this with the power cord pulled from the psu. I've seen the reset button stick and cause a system to stay in an endless loop and make everything run, except for booting up to the bios and into the system from there.

Edit: Seems I didn't read the last post, but definitely give this a try.
benesm1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Bad case Reply with quote

Yes, this could possibly be. Pull not only the reset cables but also the power button and sleep cables if you use one. The MOBO can be started for instance by interconnecting the two power connectors on the MOBO, where usually the power button cable goes.
d_adams
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The MOBO can be started for instance by interconnecting the two power connectors on the MOBO, where usually the power button cable goes.

For testing this, use a small flat-blade screwdriver to jumper the connection on the motherboard. Just make 100% sure of which ones you are connecting. To start up an ATX board, all it takes is a short touch of the pins. To recap, disconnect the power switch and the reset switch from the motherboard (the tiny wire connectors that go to the front of the box for the buttons) and jumper the power switch to see if it starts and runs. If it does, pull the main power cable and plug in the reset switch and test it again. Next, assuming that works ok, kill the power again, and plug in the power switch and test it again. One of the switches (power or reset) is probably stuck in the closed position and is continually shorting the connection on the motherboard. This condition won't hurt the board any, but it's a pain to diagnose. Once you find out if one of the switches are bad/defective, you have several options. If it's the power switch, you may just want to purchase a new case. The reset switch can be left disconnected permanently, as it's not really something most people use. The power switch on most ATX boards have a 4 second delay to shut down the system. That is to say, hold in the power switch for 4 seconds and the pc will shut off immeadiately. Same thing as pulling the power cord in the back of the box, but without the effort of reaching around to the back.
VisionD
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,

this is kind of nice idea... but i had it myself earlier without reporting (tested it on the old mobo)... sorry for forgetting to report...

Somehow the problem remains. I've plugged both cables (power and reset) off the mobo. Even then, when i just switch from 0 to 1 on the power supply the fans start running. I would try to diagnose the beeps, but it seems that my computer won't even start to this point. I here no beeps (and i know from earlier errors that my BIOS would normally give me some when i do some stupid things and yes, i am waiting long enough ;-)).

I will try the power and reset cable again with the new mobo. I don't reaaly think that it might help to do it again, but it won't hurt also and i have no idea what else i should try...

Will report back.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: