View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patroclo7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: xorg. xfree4.4.0, dri cvs... Reply with quote

Yesterday it was a rainy day, so I decided to make different tries about direct rendering with my IGP 320 U1.
I was using XFree 4.3.99.16 patched with the radeon module inside it (when I use a gentoo-dev-kernel) and the kernel module (when I use mm-kernel). I have dri enable, glxgears around 420 fps, pinball and tuxracer without problems, some other game with problems...

I gave the first try to xorg. I installed xorg without any problem. Then I downloaded dri, mesa and drm from dri cvs, following the specific instructions for xorg. Compilation and installation were unproblematic.
Glxinfo told me that direct rendring was enabled. But glxgears, any game and any video using opengl resources HANGED my system, compelling me to hardware standby.

I was curious to know if the problem concerned xorg or dri cvs. Therefore, I tried to go back to XFree. I used the unofficial ebuild for XFree 4.4.0 stable. Then, I installed again dri and mesa from dri cvs over it. This time, Direct rendering was enabled, but glxgears returns only 220 fps!!! However, the actual games performance was quite good...

Therefore, I turned back to the patched XFree 4.3.99.16... It seems that for IGP 320 (not so for IGP 340) the actual dri cvs has some problems, while patching the prestable 4.4.0 releases is the best choice. I hope that xorg will be able soon to include and integrate coorectly dri cvs. Otherwise, many people would be forced to stay with XFree despite the well'known licensing-problem.
Winkie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment the CVS seems uncompilable to me, one of the drm.cs spits out pages upon pages of errors, lost the logs however, so just a quick hope someone's seen a problem like this and knows the fix.

HTML is OFF
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
gmichels
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fetched the cvs sources on 27/04 and they compiled fine for me.

I can run glxgears (minor improvements, around 500 fps) but the computer crashes if I try to run some 3d app such as quake3.

btw my computer has an 320m chipset
Goeland86
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, if you're still wondering how to make it work, check this thread :
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1080260#1080260
from what I know, it should work with either XFree or Xorg.
Feel free to post or email me about any questions you might have.
drinian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finally got it working on my Compaq Presario 2145US notebook (Radeon 320M) after about three days. If anyone else wants to know what I did, I can write up a little bit, just ask.

But here's my problem: has anyone been able to get 3D games to work? I've tried ut2004 and quake3, and get the same error from both on startup:

Code:

drmCommandWrite: -22
drmRadeonCmdBuffer: -22 (exiting)

Quake3 actually leaves my desktop in 640x480 too when it dies. Any graphics gurus out there have a clue if this is just a limitation of the driver or what? Thanks.
Goeland86
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drinian, that problem is due to some compilation problem... You need to use the modules in the tarball, or it doesn't work... I found that out just like you did: tried a GL game, saw it crash and looked around for a solution...
the solution is that modules tarball...
drinian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

drinian, that problem is due to some compilation problem... You need to use the modules in the tarball, or it doesn't work... I found that out just like you did: tried a GL game, saw it crash and looked around for a solution...
the solution is that modules tarball...

Hmm. So basically, if I understand you right, this is because I compiled my own modules to be optimized for Athlon XP's, and none of these binaries can deal with that. Right? I'll try the precompiled modules if I can and report back.
drinian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reporting back:

Using what I think you're talking about -- the script solution in the other thread -- I have (sort of) advanced one step forward and two back. No more error, but now I can't change from my default resolution (1400x1050)! That means games just get stuck as soon as they switch to their res and I have to ctrl-alt-backspace my way out. I have no clue why the sources in the script would work differently, although according to one of the posts up above the DRI CVS is slightly broken for the 320M, and I had used that originally.

So I still can't play any games, since I can't switch to any other resolution, and now I lose that functionality too. I think I will try again from scratch X sources soon. On the upside, the helper script's sources appear to have improved my glxgears fps from 425 to 499. Weird.
Goeland86
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weird indeed... have you looked at the instructions I posted on the other thread...
here
Maybe it'll help you out a bit.
drinian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Process of elimination Reply with quote

Ok, so I have now tried combining the kernel modules from the package in the other thread with the latest 4.3.99 Xfree ebuild patched with the latest patch available from XFree themselves. (this one: http://bugs.xfree86.org/attachment.cgi?id=1130&action=view)
This has the same effect as using the lastest kernel modules from CVS -- I just get the "-22" error as mentioned above.

Process of elimination says that whatever's causing my card to work but suddenly not be able to change resolutions (also a sticking point) is in whatever patches the other thread inserts in the XFree source.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, can anyone else with a Compaq Presario 2100-series comment on how they got 3d games working?
Goeland86
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drinian, maybe the problem lies in using a 4.3.99 branch of XFree... Xorg is a fork of the 4.4, and the patch was designed for 4.4.0... have you tried with Xorg?
damianfrancis
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: xorg? Reply with quote

So I am wondering if I wanted to upgrade to xorg even though it is masked, do I need to take out or leave in "X" in my USE flags? And has it been the experience of a general majority that the patch works better with xorg over xfree? One more question then I'm done. What about the radeon drivers and ati agpgart in the 2.6.6 mm-sources? From what I understand these sources have the latest dri patches, need I mess with the patch if dri is not working with those sources, or should I just fiddle with them and try to troubleshoot under the assumption that the patch being discussed here is already in the mm-sources?
Goeland86
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the patch we're talking about is not for agpgart, the agp module in the 2.6.x kernels with x>=2 is perfectly fine. It's the radeon module you need to get off fom the DRI cvs project.
I don't necessarily think that Xorg accepts patches better than XFree, but the code of Xorg has been definitely cleaned up alot, and it speeds things up a bit. Second, the XFree patch has been developped for the 4.4 version, not 4.3.xx, and Xorg is basically the equivalent of XFree4.4.0.
And yes, leave the X in the USE variable, 'cuz it doesn't have to do that much with XFree or Xorg as it does with the Xserver implementation, which is the same for both.
If you want more detailed instructions, and a link to a tarball with an install script for this, check out the other thread, where I posted step by step instructions... here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=158551&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
damianfrancis
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: jeeze Reply with quote

man this kinda sux, I installed xorg and x would not start, it was complaning about there not being a glx module, and also some jazz about my synaptic touchpad. But it did apear to be loading drm with the modules for the igp chipset that are in the 2.6.6 kernel. I have unmerged xorg and am emerging xfree right now in hopes that it will deal with my touchpad.
Goeland86
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the touchpad, just do emerge synaptics...
damianfrancis
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: touchpad Reply with quote

Did that, I already had them installed. Do I have to re-emerge "synaptics" after installing xorg?
Goeland86
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might indeed... try it, worse that happens you have it installed already. Also, go and look in the driver section of the mouse you want to use, and make sure it's set at "synaptics".
Legoguy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A warning to you all: Something (at least on my system) screwed up and now my fonts are messed up. ( https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=178289 )
So far no one has either seen this thread or doesn't know how to solve it.

Anyhow, all I needed to do was

ebuild <xorg ebuild file> fetch
ebuild <xorg ebuild file> unpack
apply the previously mentioned Xfree patch from their bugzilla to /var/tmp/portage/xorg-x11-6.7.0/work/xc
ebuild <xorg ebuild file> compile
ebuild <xorg ebuild file> install
ebuild <xorg ebuild file> qmerge

Note that you need a recent 2.6 -mm kernel. I now get about 460 fps in glxgears, and can play BZFlag at a steady rate of 35fps; however there's a bug either in BZFlag or this IGP driver that renders some of BZFlag's text at different opacities.

Goeland, by the way, the evas test is 2d. Not 3d. Scores in there on my desktop and laptop are equal, when my laptop has a card with half the memory of the desktop, even without this 3D working.
Goeland86
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legoguy, evas isn't 3D, I agree, but it measures the performance of your opengl capabilities. And in my case DRI threw me up from 0.202 in evas to 4.1! so how do you explain that?
Legoguy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goeland86 wrote:
Legoguy, evas isn't 3D, I agree, but it measures the performance of your opengl capabilities. And in my case DRI threw me up from 0.202 in evas to 4.1! so how do you explain that?

However I thought the point of this thread was 3D ;)
2D hasn't been affected at all by the driver updates, so you definitley had something going on there. And by the way, 4 on an IGP card is a little high when my 128mb GeForce4 on the desktop gets 2.5 :-/
Word of benchmarking advice, never ever hide part or all of the window with another one.
Goeland86
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never hid anything during tests.
Running it right now to check the score.
not hiding anything... I get 4.976,.... which is alot!
I never thought I'd get something like that...
Btw, my system's got an Athlon 2400+, what do you have?

EDIT:
I ran it above with the cronos theme, with lots of transparent. I ran it later with the winter theme and only got 3.8... so I guess the theme can make a difference too. Which one are you using?
Legoguy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel rather silly right now; I was running the evas_software_x11_test, not the evas_gl_x11_test - I get about 4.5 on that, AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+.
Goeland86
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's ok, everyone makes a mistake once in a while :wink: especially me! :P
drinian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update on the subject:

I finally got 3d support working! There is an excellent tutorial on how to do it, written in both English and German, available at this Yahoo Group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amilo/

It's a .pdf in the "files" section. Many thanks to the author. As it turns out, a very specific CVS snapshot of XFree must be used for it to work.
Goeland86
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drinian, I know of MANY people having it working. Have you looked at the other thread I posted? there's at least a dozen gentoo users who have Xorg or XFree 4.4 working with DRI, and I know a couple of other distro users who have it working with Xorg too. So it's not specific to an XFree CVS snapshot.
But if it works for you, great.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: