Can't emerge as user - What's wrong?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tarpat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Can't emerge as user - What's wrong? Reply with quote

Code:
tasi@easynote ~ $ su
Password:
easynote tasi # gpasswd -a tasi portage
Adding user tasi to group portage
easynote tasi # exit
exit
tasi@easynote ~ $ emerge jdictionary
emerge: root access required.
tasi@easynote ~ $

Where (to which group) should I add myself to be able to emerge? Or it is impossible?

Packard Bell Easynote A8400, Gentoo
Pentium M 1,73; 1GB RAM; 80GB HDD;
Mobil Intel 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family
ld50
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afaik, being in the portage group only lets you run stuff like emerge -s or emerge -pv world.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ld50 wrote:
afaik, being in the portage group only lets you run stuff like emerge -s or emerge -pv world.

Yep.
bytenirvana
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. I experienced the same.

how can I actually install something as normal user?
d_m
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't, AFAIK.
AaronPPC
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want the ability to install stuff as a normal user? It's not good for system security.
filterpunk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AaronPPC wrote:
Why do you want the ability to install stuff as a normal user? It's not good for system security.

Agreed. If you're really set on running Portage without having to su, you might consider setting up sudo as an alternative.
dinsmore
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

If you have access as root, why do you want to install things as a normal user? If you don't want to be entering the root passwd everytime, you can do as I do: I leave a root terminal opened at all times. That way you make a comfortable system (sometimes it's a bit annoying to mantain a secure system), and you don't open holes in your machine. (Of course, to ensure a little bit of security locally too, when I'm not arround I run 'xtrlock' so anybody can't just sit in front of mi pc and use my root terminal :P ) lol
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, use sudo.

But I ask also: why the heck do you want to be able to install stuff as normal user?

The emerge command can write stuff to any place, erase, change, move or whatever it feels like doing... Are you really willing to put that power in hands of a normal user account? Then, why not run root all the time? :P
filterpunk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6thpink wrote:
The emerge command can write stuff to any place, erase, change, move or whatever it feels like doing... Are you really willing to put that power in hands of a normal user account? Then, why not run root all the time? :P

But, Microsoft does it! A company with that much money and industry pull can't be wrong!

*cough*
bytenirvana
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess in every Linux Distribution you have to install software as root? And the fundamental idea is the system security, because the emerge script (or comparable in !gentoo distros) is allowed to do anything anywhere on the harddrive.

"Linux" is a multiuser system so it would be not a good idea if the five persons using the system at the same time would be allowed to install programs. However it is not intended as desktop system so the "needs" of a desktop system are blithely ignored. the user has to use su oder sodu to get root privileges, this is not a big task, but it shows that the hidden agenda differs a lot from the standard desktop theme. linux != windows
filterpunk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bytenirvana wrote:
I guess in every Linux Distribution you have to install software as root? And the fundamental idea is the system security, because the emerge script (or comparable in !gentoo distros) is allowed to do anything anywhere on the harddrive.

"Linux" is a multiuser system so it would be not a good idea if the five persons using the system at the same time would be allowed to install programs. However it is not intended as desktop system so the "needs" of a desktop system are blithely ignored. the user has to use su oder sodu to get root privileges, this is not a big task, but it shows that the hidden agenda differs a lot from the standard desktop theme. linux != windows

It's more accurate to say that a fundamental idea is system security. It is only one element among many, just as being suitable for multiple users is only one facet of the whole.

That said, there is no "hidden agenda" going on and it's incredibly inaccurate to say that the needs of a desktop user are being ignored. The bottom line is that you're not in Windows anymore, Dorothy. How is typing "sudo emerge foo" anymore difficult than the need for a user to be designated as an administrator in Windows if they want to install software?

This doesn't have anything to do with the "needs of a desktop user" being ignored, only your preconceptions being refuted.
anime-otaku
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

filterpunk wrote:
6thpink wrote:

But, Microsoft does it! A company with that much money and industry pull can't be wrong!

*cough*

No, Microsoft is even worse. There you are (normally) always Administrator (similar to root). That's why you can install all things without changing to Admin.

You work, surf as Administrator the whole day. That's the main security hole in Windows, through that the whole bunch of trojans, viruses comes to you.

There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understands BINARY and those who don't.

Answer the unanswered posts
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: