Quad Core, the Gentoo Holy Grail
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrybczyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Quad Core, the Gentoo Holy Grail Reply with quote

Intel's Kentsfield Quad Core is coming soon: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2006/09/09/preview_kentsfield_processor

Seriously, for me gentoo right now is the only driver for faster and more parallel processors. I look forward to the day when we can compile every major package in under a minute.

Maybe there should be a just-in-time compilation version of gentoo soon...

Cheers,
Mitch
tsuehpsyde
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know in my quad processor server (dual AMD Opteron 265s) compilation times are great. I can't wait to try out Gentoo on 8 processors. *drool*
blu3bird
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can allready buy CPUs with 8 cores or 72CPU's in one system. Depends on how much you want to spend for your system ;)
(There's no limit, if you've got the money...)

But sadly many programs and/or parts in gentoo can only use one cpu/core and parallel build isn't available always.
(Ever tried to emerge --metadata on a quod-cpu system? it's damn slow!)
TheChuckster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get to a certain point, ultra high-end hardware doesn't really make much of a difference unless the software you use is specifically designed for it. Save your money and just buy a consumer high-end system.
MrUlterior
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Quad Core, the Gentoo Holy Grail Reply with quote

mrybczyn wrote:
Intel's Kentsfield Quad Core is coming soon:

I'll wait for a real quadcore thanks, that one's just two dual cores in a single CPU:

Toms Hardware wrote:
Since the CPU combines two Conroe dual-core chips, the chip will carry 2 x 4 MB L2 cache; Kentsfield will be a Conroe "drop-in" chip and work with the 965 and 975 series chipsets on today's Core 2 Duo motherboards.

Misanthropy 2.0 - enough hate to go around
MrUlterior
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheChuckster wrote:
Once you get to a certain point, ultra high-end hardware doesn't really make much of a difference unless the software you use is specifically designed for it. Save your money and just buy a consumer high-end system.

You do run Gentoo, right?

petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrUlterior wrote:
TheChuckster wrote:

Just a question, whats that got to do with anything?
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
MrUlterior
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrjanda wrote:
MrUlterior wrote:
TheChuckster wrote:

Just a question, whats that got to do with anything?

Well, a compile intensive distro like Gentoo can always use as many processors as you throw at it IMO. Not to the mention that most people here tend to stay fairly close to cutting edge, hence are frequently rebuilding installed applications
It just seemed disingenuous to suggest that someone running Gentoo couldn't find something to do with "ultra high-end hardware" and that it doesn't make much of a difference etc.

nevynxxx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrUlterior wrote:

Well, a compile intensive distro like Gentoo can always use as many processors as you throw at it IMO. Not to the mention that most people here tend to stay fairly close to cutting edge, hence are frequently rebuilding installed applications
It just seemed disingenuous to suggest that someone running Gentoo couldn't find something to do with "ultra high-end hardware" and that it doesn't make much of a difference etc.

Then why even care about quad core?

Sun's Niagra is out now, and at 32 core, with niagra 2 taking that to 64 core next year.

Or beowolf a rack full of dual core/dual proc servers.

Or go the way most supercomputers do now adays and just extent the hypertransport between the cpus and have a few thousand of them.

Like he said, there are limits to what is a reasonable amount of money to spend to get a given increase. There is a limit to the number of useful instances of gcc while compiling.

Wanted: Instructor in the art of Bowyery
MrUlterior
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevynxxx wrote:

Then why even care about quad core?

Sun's Niagra is out now, and at 32 core, with niagra 2 taking that to 64 core next year.

Or beowolf a rack full of dual core/dual proc servers.

Or go the way most supercomputers do now adays and just extent the hypertransport between the cpus and have a few thousand of them.

Like he said, there are limits to what is a reasonable amount of money to spend to get a given increase. There is a limit to the number of useful instances of gcc while compiling.

Certainly, my point is that quadcore & dualcore are consumer parts; not in the price range of 32 core Sun h/w -- the post I was responding to seemed to imply that they're uneccesary, make no difference, etc etc.

That is NOT the case.

nevynxxx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrUlterior wrote:

Certainly, my point is that quadcore & dualcore are consumer parts; not in the price range of 32 core Sun h/w -- the post I was responding to seemed to imply that they're uneccesary, make no difference, etc etc.

That is NOT the case.

I disagree, the post seems to me to be saying that there is no point a) Spending money on non-consumer parts and/or b) spending vast amounts of money just to improve compile times.

At a certain point, they do make no difference, there is a limit to the number of parts make can split a compile up into, that is probably a lot lower than you may imagine in most cases.

I would say, use you computer to do stuff, and not worry too much about the "building the stuff that lets you do stuff" part. If your gentoo compiliation times are your only incentive for upgrading, well, whats the point?

Wanted: Instructor in the art of Bowyery
Allix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Quad Core, the Gentoo Holy Grail Reply with quote

mrybczyn wrote:

I look forward to the day when we can compile every major package in under a minute.

i suppose to compile on a cluster farm using distcc you could compile X, ooffice, kde, gnome and other big projects in a very short amount a time, you could maybe even buy 10 p2 and it would be faster than a dual core amd, but don;t quote me on that.

I would be interested in statistics showing the fastest compiling time for the big project mentioned above :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: