Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
X 7.1 still testing on x86/amd64 because of BINARY drivers?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should X 7.1 still be testing only because of closed source drivers (ati/nvidia)?
Yes!
55%
 55%  [ 254 ]
No!
37%
 37%  [ 172 ]
I don't care!
6%
 6%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 454

frodoontop
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not let it depend on your settings in /etc/make.conf -> VIDEO_CARDS ?

If nvidia stands among them, don't allow the upgrade. Otherwise just let it upgrade. Or is this not possible with current portage? This would IMHO make everybody happy.
Rubyripper, a secure audio ripper for linux. Look at the wiki page http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Rubyripper for technical and developer info, screenshots and discussion about it's future.
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective wrote:
I can live with the current approach if portage would get the feature to have masking being dependant on your USE flags.
So, if you use the floss drivers, your xorg is unmasked.
If Nvidia releases their fixed drivers next week and you use them, your xorg gets unmasked, no need to wait for Ati.
In the current situation, everyone has to wait untill Ati finally releases their fixed drivers (6 months from now? Xorg 7.2 is out by then!)
But this would require a serious change of portage, which is not going to happen.

Q-collective,

I agree with you that it would be better if Portage allowed conditional update based on USE flags. However, as that isn't supported, I don't think the correct alternative is to break nVidia and ATI users' systems.
I understand and agree with your desire for a FLOSS world. Our disagreement comes from the fact that you're not willing to stand any proprietary software, whilst I'm open to use some proprietary software. I think that most arguments in this discussion are present on the Java debate. The heart of this discussion is whether one is willing or not to stand some closed-source app or driver in their FLOSS system - in the case of Java the point is whether you're willing to use a closed jre for running FLOSS software.
Another important point that has been referred before, is that X.org is not part of the Gentoo base system. As such and given the grievance that unmasking 7.1 would cause, I don't think the "social contract" should apply here. When I say that X is not part of the base system, I'm just pointing out that you can run a perfectly working Linux system without X - I have runned a few servers that way! :wink: I'm not ignoring that X is considered "crucial" on most desktops or laptops - even by me! :wink:

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
Ast0r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the drivers should stay in the testing branch for one major reason: people who are installing Gentoo for the first time should NOT have to mask packages if they install from the stable branch.

It's one thing to say that people using the stable branch can just mask >=xorg-x11-7.1* but that's not easy for people who are just starting out with Gentoo. This will be a major deterent for people who have never installed Gentoo before. Many will understand neither the philosophy nor the technical issues that prevent them from installing Xorg with binary drivers without jumping through hoops to make it work (and new users will consider adding package atoms to package.mask to be jumping through hoops). Faced with the inability to get a GUI working easily, many will abandon their installs in favor of Debian or Fedora.

Do we want to push people away from Gentoo just because they have video cards that don't have open-source drivers?
XenoTerraCide
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could care less about binary drivers 7.1 broke evdev for me.
tamran
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Set it "stable" but put blockers in Reply with quote

This is essentially how it is done, the presence of nvidia-drivers and ati-drivers blocks the installation of xorg 7.1. I don't see anything wrong with that. Although, the complaints might be many.

I'm using ATI with the 200m on my laptop, which has pretty useless binary drivers anyways.
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Set it "stable" but put blockers in Reply with quote

tamran wrote:
This is essentially how it is done, the presence of nvidia-drivers and ati-drivers blocks the installation of xorg 7.1. I don't see anything wrong with that. Although, the complaints might be many.

I'm using ATI with the 200m on my laptop, which has pretty useless binary drivers anyways.

I have a 200m on an Athlon-XP laptop I got recently and I'm not sure which drivers to use for it.
shadowknight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Also not to nit pick, as this is what im doing, but Gentoo doesn't depend on x11 and can therefore not depend on nvidia or ati drivers.

this is the key thing to remember here.......gentoo in itself, as an os, doesn't need anything x-related.......but if you use it then you want it to work without alot of bs.......taking into consideration that x is not required, and alot, if not most, users that use x have either ati or nvidia gpu's then it only makes sense to keep it masked untill it's relatively stable for the majority.

Just my opinion, but what do I know....
cwest
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a couple of people probably already have pointed out - IMHO Xorg 7.1 should be masked testing on x86 and x86_64 as long as the open drivers aren't on pair with the closed ones - as soon as the open ones are roughly on pair with the closed ones (perhaps not on performance, but at least on support for hardware, stability and features) the binary ones shouldn't hold xorg back.

OGP (OpenGraphics Project) and open xorg-drivers are the ways to go, but untill then - unmasking xorg 7.1 and breaking a crapload of peoples boxes would only produce a lot of unnecesseary support requests.

If the binary drivers aren't going to properly support xorg 7.1 in reasonable time - unmask xorg 7.1 anyway ;) (if, by xorg 7.2 binary drivers doesn't yet support xorg 7.1, one shouldn't wait any longer for binary drivers IMHO).

I know what I am going to do about it - I'm going to drop binary drivers anytime soon and replace them with the open ones anyway. (One nvidia-box and one ati-box).

Of course - setting the current, broken ati-drivers and nvidia-drivers as blockers for xorg 7.1 might be a way to go, but would probably generate a lot of useless support requests.

Just my simple opinions.
paulj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: NVidia Drivers & Upgrading Reply with quote

I have just trawled through the messages in this thread, and decided that an opinion from someone who knows a little less may be of interest. I run an X86 system, with AMD Athlon XP 2400+. I have an old Geforce 2TI graphics card, so I have an additional challenge to manage to handle the legacy cards. I use NVidia, because of their release of drivers into the community. In fact, in three of the four computers in this house, NVidia cards of various vintages have been installed. Because of the legacy issues with the card in this machine, I am considering upgrading to a new card, but as this system is only AGPx8, I would also want to consider upgrading to AMD64 and PCI express.
I am not a Gentoo guru, but have been running this system without a complete rebuild for two years, mostly stable. I have been through the challenges of upgrading GCC, Java, XOrg, and so on, and generally speaking find the guides very helpful. Previous linux installations include Slackware 10 and Suse (6.4, 7.x). None of the rest give me anything like the power to manage my system and maintain integrity as Gentoo does. In fact, every previous installation ended up getting trashed due to library inconsistencies and other problems related to dependency issues. My first installation of linux was in 1996 (kernel ~ 1.36) with an early Slackware distribution - it took several hours just to get X working!!
I think the decision to keep Xorg 7.1 masked is probably the better decision, but I would bow to the result of the discussions between people much more in the know than me. Regardless of the final decision, just post a decent Howto in the documentation on the website, and point to it in the weekly newsletter. The majority of Gentoo users would probably find their way through the upgrade then.

Rgds.,
Paul
pa4wdh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of the discussion has been said, but i'm missing something, which i would like to add:

As far as i know, our current situation is: xorg7.1 breaks binary drivers (or the other way around), and there are two binary drivers, one from ati, one from nvidia.

Great ... so "we" decided to wait for the binary's before 7.1 gets stable. But how does this scale up ?

I mean ... what if this was a good world, and every tiny little video card producer (well, al least a lot) would start making binary only drivers (which is why i said good, and not better :-) Better would be open source :-) but you can't force them). Ofcourse good driver support is great, but in that case, if we get into the same situation, it's nearly impossible to wait for *all* the producers to release a new version of their binary driver.
So i think we should think about an other way to handle this. Like someone else already said: Use the VIDEO_CARD setting in make.conf, and if there's an unsafe binary driver, upgrade to the highest version which allows the driver to work.

I don't know if portage is currently able to do such things, but even if it can't, it might be worth the effort if we get faced with more binary only drivers.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Putting it all together with what we and you said - plus what I imagine - why not, for instance, enhance portage's blocking feature? Say for instance that instead of roughly block an upgrade portage would "search" what is the latest, non-blocking version of a package.

That is to say, in this case, if nVidia blocks Xorg 7.1 then portage should "understand" it must not upgrade Xorg above version 7.0. Yet there has to be another mechanism for working also with pam-login/shadow, for instance, as we all noticed. I must admit I don't like the blocking mechanism very much [there's absolutely no criticism, just sharing my own feeling]. If it were enhanced a little bit so as not to block I would be grateful a thousand times. I would even consider a donation :-) .

Anyway, Gentoo dev's [and every contributor] deserve our best consideration for this Great distro. Thanks a lot and Go on, Guys.
nukem996
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted no simply because what happens when nvidia releases the 9 series in August/Early Sept(which will have support for Xgl and Xorg 7.1) and ATI users still wont have a driver? If your going to use binary things on an open source platform you should know the risks, and having compatibility issues is one of the risks. Plus masking xorg 7.1 takes about 10sec so I dont see whats so hard about doing that.
shadowknight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to restate what I stated above I just wanted to add that in my opinion it's not a matter of being hard to mask something......I feel it's more a matter of if you're running an already stable system then you shouldn't have to mask anything to keep you're system working. when a package gets marked as stable then it should be stable for everybody or at least the majority. I also agree that some updates to how portage checks your system would be a good thing all around. As for the new cards coming out.......well, personally, I still don't understand why people shell out the jacked up prices just to have the latest and greatest, knowing that they're going to be having issues to work out for months anyway. I won't even get started on ATI except to say that, they left an extremely bad taste in my mouth a long time ago. I switched to nvidia and haven't had a problem, complaint, or second thought since. Personally I'm running an amd64 box with 1 gig RAM and an XFX brand geforce 6800XT pcie and soon to be adding another for SLi. I'll stick with stability over the latest and greatest anyday. Again these are just my opinions and what do I know....
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thought about this for a while and this is what I think. Whether this is "by the Gentoo rules or not" is debatable but my take in regards to being most helpful to users.

For ages many of us have always told new users to stick to using the stable branch and for the most part you should have no issues. This included using the binary nvidia drivers. Whether this should apply to 3rd party drivers is another issue, but we would no longer be able to say this. In this case maybe these binary drivers should be changed to unstable.

Hopefully ATI/Nvidia can hurry up and get updated drivers and make this a moot point.
nukem996
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any binary code is unstable, things can change you really dont know what its doing. Personally I think the best compromise here would be for portage to figure out that a user has a binary driver installed such as nvidia or ati and mask xorg 7.1 without informing the user. This way users can use binary drivers without having to do anything and when the binary driver is ready for xorg 7.1 it will let it install.
nukem996
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You I was just thinking Gentoo isnt the only distro facing this problem. Many distros will be upgrading to xorg 7.1 in their next release. Fedora Core 6 is a good example of this. Many have asked nvidia if the updated driver will be ready in time for Fedora Core 6 and all that nvidia has said is they have no release date information. It seems other distros are going foward with open source updates even though there are binary incompatibilities.

On a side note this was taken from nvnews.net

Quote:

Any distribution with Xorg 7.1

Please note that the released NVIDIA Linux graphics drivers do not currently support Xorg 7.1 (version 1.0 of the Xorg video driver ABI) and are not expected to work correctly.

If you use Xorg 7.1 with a current driver release, you may see rendering corruption (fonts may be rendered improperly or not at all, etc.) and possibly other problems. Recent NVIDIA X drivers will print a warning message of the form below if they detect an ABI version mismatch:

(EE) ============= WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING =============
(EE) This server has a video driver ABI version of 1.0 but this
(EE) driver is designed to work with versions before 1.0. The
(EE) driver will continue to load, but may behave strangely.
(EE) Please check http://www.nvidia.com/ for driver updates or
(EE) downgrade to an X server with a supported driver ABI.
(EE) ================================================== =========

Please check your Xorg log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) for this warning if you are not if the Xorg release you are using is affected. The 1.0-8762 NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release should basically work if you disable its RENDER acceleration with Option "RenderAccel" "0", but it is recommended that you use an older version of Xorg until support for Xorg 7.1 has been added to the NVIDIA X driver.
XenoTerraCide
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xorg 7.1 is only ~arch masked on 2 platforms. If people feel it is necessary to move to 7.1 then they can do so on there own by unmasking it. ~arch to me says that something may be broken or it may not. I don't think anything should be moved to stable unless all of it and it's dependancies are stable. and when compatable drivers are released a few weeks should be given for testing until we make them and 7.1 stable. Those that must have 7.1 or can use 7.1 can unmask it. but those that NEED binary drivers should not be required to mask it.
nukem996
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im just trying to say that the trent happens to be to move to xorg 7.1 and if there arent drivers oh well, this is on distro were it is much harder to downgrade. Anyway this brings up another good question which really is the unstable package? Xorg 7.1 seems stable to me, its marked stable on everything but amd64 and x86 because of the driver issues. It seems that the drivers are not stable and thus should be marked testing. BTW im being philosophical
XenoTerraCide
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as I mentioned a page back... I've had problems with things in 7.1 other than binary drivers. and it still to my knowledge hasn't been fixed. I'm hoping by the time this makes stable they will have fixed evdev. but my bug hasn't been touched by xorg so I'm not so hopeful.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nukem996 wrote:
Any binary code is unstable[...]

Please rephrase:
Quote:
Any closed source code might be suspected unstable without any clue it is not

or
Quote:
Any closed source code might be considered stable but we don't know if it actually is

Depends if you consider the glass is half empty or half full...
massysett
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of folks are dumping on the open-source nv driver, but when I tried it recently I was surprised at how well it works. For almost everything I do, including DVD watching, it worked great. It's also much less of a pain to maintain because there's no need to reemerge it after recompiling the kernel.

I think I do only two things that actually use Open GL: Google Earth and xscreensaver. Neither of those is essential to me. I imagine many people are like me and don't really need Open GL all that much.

All that said though, I still use the proprietary nvidia driver. Google Earth is nice and I figure I don't give anything up by using the closed-source driver. But if xorg 7.1 had some great feature or if some great new app needed it, and nvidia didn't work with 7.1, I would switch to nv.
oKtosiTe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: X 7.1 still testing on x86/amd64 because of BINARY drive Reply with quote

R!tman wrote:

I hope I understand this right. Version 7.1 is stil in testing for x86 and amd64, because the binary drivers (ati-drivers and nvidia-glx/kernel) do not work with it, right?

I'm sure most people have ati or nvidia graphic cards. Personally, I have an nvidia and use the nvidia closed source driver. Nevertheless, I'm wondering if it's a good idea to mark a presumably stable program 'testing', only because it does not work with some closed source drivers.

Lets not forget we're all using LINUX here. Everyone has his/her reasons for using it, one of mine is a feeling of freedom and togetherness. Linux has an ethical value that can easily be underestimated.

So, I believe it's wrong that a program which follows the open source idea and fullfills all the reasons why we all use linux should be degrated in favor of a closed source driver!

I know, I am using nvidia's drivers myself. But my concers have grown by a big amount due to this. Switching to open source drivers for ati or nvidia cards most probably is not an option for most people, but I would like to know what you think about this issue.

BTW, here is an interesting project: the open graphics project

I'm sorry if I'm stating the obvious here, but I really didn't feel like reading all those pages.
I voted no; however, instead of always forcing the newest version of everything that's marked stable upon users, it might be nice to have some easy (dialoged?) selection mechanism. By the way your GIF avatar is non-free too, isn't it?
IntergalacticWalrus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone seems to be missing the real guilty party in this issue: the X.org devs. It is THEM who decided that breaking driver ABI (without even including legacy driver support) was an acceptable decision. Complaints should go to them, not commercial vendors, who are doing their best* at providing Linux support for their hardware.

* well, mostly nVidia
chunderbunny
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IntergalacticWalrus wrote:
Everyone seems to be missing the real guilty party in this issue: the X.org devs. It is THEM who decided that breaking driver ABI (without even including legacy driver support) was an acceptable decision. Complaints should go to them, not commercial vendors, who are doing their best* at providing Linux support for their hardware.

* well, mostly nVidia

If you read some of the earlier posts you find that the Xorg devs who changed the ABI were actually Nvidia devs. Besides, this is a very short termist view. Why should the Xorg devs wait on cool features and fixes just because the commercial driver devs aren't quick enough to release an update? Xorg is not responsible for nor has any official affiliation with Nvidia or Ati.

Nvidia and Ati are big boys, they know what the pros/cons of a closed driver model are and they should be fully prepared to accept responsibility when their driver doesn't work the latest and greatest X server.
mixmasta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

Location: Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super-Cluster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, xorg devs are free to do what they want, but on the other hand ...

why did they decide to break compatibility at 7.1? Shoulda been at 7.0
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 7 of 16

Jump to: