View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
complexity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been on OFTC for a few years now. Would be happy to see Gentoo move to OFTC.
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

complexity wrote:

Why?
marcion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: I for one welcome our trailer bound overlords! Reply with quote

At the moment, people expect a free/ open source project to have a freenode channel. so if you move #gentoo off Freenode then the ##gentoo at freenode will just take over, i.e. the official channel at freenode will be replaced by an unofficial channel at freenode.

leahcim wrote:

What I couldn't believe, in retrospect, is that I read this thread because someone at gentoo considered it, amongst all the other potential threads in these forums that could have been "heard in the community", actually worth pointing to, in the gentoo weekly news.

It reminded me of this http://www.linuxpipeline.com/163104408

I had the exact same thought when I read TFA, when Maureen O'Gara had her vendetta agains't PJ from Groklaw I everyone thought it was nuts.

What have our personal ideas of personal morality got to do with anything?

Half of you are Americans, does that mean that I write you all off because you all produce far far more pollution per head than the rest of the world or because your president is an alcoholic retarted mouthpiece for the oil industry?
By no means!

Some people in FOSS are conservative, some are liberal, some Americans, some Europeans, Some Asians, etc. Some are Christians, some athiests, some Muslims etc. Some are married, some are divorced, some are single, some are gay, some are transgendered and so on.

Some even work in technology and are forced to have Windows machines on their desks! 8O

So someone lives in a trailer and sometimes in an apartment? Who the **** cares? I wish I lived in a place warm enough to live in a trailer without freezing to death. (Note if the guy has any Romany heritage then the anti-trailer tirade in TFA may be breaking millions of European race laws).

The only relevant questions are:

* The technology question, i.e., Does Freenode work? Does it provide a better mousetrap?
* The free/open source question, Is Freenode freer as in Speech than alternatives?

Everything else is bull$haft... I am slightly disappointed that elements of the Gentoo communtity are so intolerant. :(
mngrif
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be glad to head up the effort of a Gentoo-specific IRC network. As an admin only, since I don't have nearly enough spare computing power or the bandwidth. This would not be the first (or the second, or the third...) time that I've helped start or helped admin a network.

This is quite a claim coming from someone with a postcount of 1. That's because I heavily utilize #gentoo for all of my support and discussion needs. I'm almost always in there, under this same name.

As for the email cited, it's more or less just someone that lilo pissed off ranting. It's almost too well-written for that though, but do keep it in mind. All that lilo would need to do would be to require ssl connections across the board, and perhaps forcing regular password changes (of the ircops, at least). If I were to do it, that would be a huge first thing to do. Otherwise, something like SILC would be a great medium for this for innumerable reasons. Sadly, using SILC as the official means of communication would leave n00bz out of the loop, which is in direct contridiction to even having a real-time public forum. The laws governing SILC's distribution might be sketchy too, while SSL is fine world-wide.

Just my $0.04 (due to inflation :\)

Feel free to hit me up on the IRCs about this.
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leahcim wrote:
What I couldn't believe, in retrospect, is that I read this thread because someone at gentoo considered it, amongst all the other potential threads in these forums that could have been "heard in the community", actually worth pointing to, in the gentoo weekly news.

On a side note, the GWN team is always happy about a heads up if you notice a more worthy thread. ;)

Anyway and back on topic, even though the mail seems to be sent out by some rather anonymous guy, it does raise some points:

Freenode got hacked by not using appropriate security measures, and freenode got infiltrated by the GNAA pretending someone else. While both is bound to happen if you run a high profile service, i don't have the impression the attackers had a too hard job with it.

While Freenode (or the PDPC) collects money to "operate freenode", most of the money is spent on Rob Levin's salary, see here for the numbers.
The staffer salary (16000$) goes to him, 1000$ for legal and accounting fees, the rest is for travel, conferences, books, subscriptions, and other stuff - unluckily the page doesn't tell who of the freenode folks gets a part of that cake. Still, 16 of 22k go directly in his pocket - that's still 72%.
Now i don't have a problem if he goes around and asks people to support his work (btw, if someone wants to send me money to buy a pony PM me for my bank account details), but i think it would be fair to let people know what they donate for. Of course they can look up that information like i did, but "donate to PDPC to keep freenode running" sounds better than "donate to PDPC, btw i get 72% of that money".

Freenode development:
Seems some people are unhappy with lilo (scroll down, and of course there's always two sides to every story), and that may have negative impact on the future development. Also freenode was quite unstable a while ago following a few updates that may have been introduced in the production network too early. Stuff like that should not happen.

Blocking /msg from unregistered users:
To cut down spambots it was decided that unregistered users may no longer sent /msg to other users, unless they explicitely allow it - which is a complete change of default behaviour. While this cuts down spam, it certainly introduces problems with inexperienced users, that have nfc what registering is in the first place. If they don't run into someone who explicitely turned it on again (like me), it's bad luck for them.
Btw, this is no hypothetical scenario, i've noticed that kind of stuff happening a bunch of times in some channels until i had educated everyone about this new freenode feature and got them to register and/or allow /msg from unregistered users.
While i appreciate the idea to do something against spamming, i would really have preferred adding this as a new feature that you can turn on, but default behaviour should stay as it is.

Summing up, i wouldn't mind switching to another network, however i am aware that this nothing that may be done too easily and i expect resistance from a bunch of people. OTOH even Debian did it, so it can be done. ;)

Just for the record, i'd also like to point out that freenode has a bunch of very helpfull (and even unpaid) staffers as well.
marcion
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Spin, Spin, Spin Reply with quote

Lot of bluster there. The only decent argument so far was concerning ssh, all the rest is FUD.

amne wrote:

While Freenode (or the PDPC) collects money to "operate freenode", most of the money is spent on Rob Levin's salary, see here for the numbers.
The staffer salary (16000$) goes to him, 1000$ for legal and accounting fees,

You conveniently neglected to mention that a fifth of the total budget goes to survivors and victims of the Tsunami.

As for the rest, well fees are fees, so you cannot do a lot about that. If freenode needs someone to be always on call "to keep freenode running", then that poor bloke maybe should get a salary. $16,000 is not a lot of money, that is far far below the minimum wage in England.

amne wrote:
may have negative impact on the future development.

And it may not, so that is a non-argument (unless you are SCO), in the long run we are all dead. You cannot tell the future.

amne wrote:
following a few updates that may have been introduced in the production network too early

Another may. Updating too early??? Is this not the Gentoo forum?

Quote:
Blocking /msg from unregistered users

That really is a feature not a bug. I really really like that.
1. It cuts down on the "Hi, my name is Candy, click here for great pr0n" spam messages that plague some other IRC networks.
2. It tells you about it on the freenode webpage.
3. It tells you about it as you enter a channel.
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Spin, Spin, Spin Reply with quote

marcion wrote:
You conveniently neglected to mention that a fifth of the total budget goes to survivors and victims of the Tsunami.

Nope. The money that was too much for the planned budget was donated, i was refering to the numbers listed at the end of the page (iow, the real budget which was spent on freenode).

marcion wrote:
$16,000 is not a lot of money, that is far far below the minimum wage in England.

I wasn't discussiong the amount. It's still a nice sum, and you conveniently neglected to quote that part of the post where i said i had no problem if it were more clear that most of the money goes to Rob Levin, not freenode/PDPC in general.

marcion wrote:
amne wrote:
may have negative impact on the future development.

And it may not, so that is a non-argument (unless you are SCO), in the long run we are all dead. You cannot tell the future.

I intentionally wrote may because this clearly is opinion and only time will reveal if it's true or not. I could have written
"future development is dead", but i didn't. Don't tell me i am spreading FUD if i clearly mark something as opinion.
If you want facts only: One guy who hacked around the ircd quit from freenode because he was fed up.
I find it kind of funny you stripped this from the quote and then claim it is an non-argument.

marcion wrote:
amne wrote:
following a few updates that may have been introduced in the production network too early

Another may. Updating too early??? Is this not the Gentoo forum?

Yes, again i used may as this was opinion. In my opinion it clearly was to early, sorry for not making my POV the ultimate truth and writing "were introduced too early".
Anyway, as a consequence freenode was rather unstable for a certain time. (Note that this is fact, not opinion). Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

marcion wrote:
Quote:
Blocking /msg from unregistered users

That really is a feature not a bug. I really really like that.
1. It cuts down on the "Hi, my name is Candy, click here for great pr0n" spam messages that plague some other IRC networks.
2. It tells you about it on the freenode webpage.
3. It tells you about it as you enter a channel.

I'm aware that this is a feature, see my original post below.

amne wrote:
While this cuts down spam, it certainly introduces problems with inexperienced users, that have nfc what registering is in the first place. If they don't run into someone who explicitely turned it on again (like me), it's bad luck for them.
[..]
While i appreciate the idea to do something against spamming, i would really have preferred adding this as a new feature that you can turn on, but default behaviour should stay as it is.

Please don't say i'm spreading FUD while taking my post out of context like that.
complexity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-collective wrote:
complexity wrote:

Why?

Could finally remove freenode from my autojoin and of course no more lilo.
lcidw
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before: Freenode rocks.. lotta Linux users, from other distros at well as different coding languages. Everyone helps eachother, easy to go around the channels to get specific help on the topics..

Then: Freenode gets hacked.

Now: Whooaaa *everyone point fingers* Freenode sucks!!111shiftoneshiftoneshiftone.

Imho, you are not one hair better than the kiddie that hacked Lilo and his Freenode network.

You used his network prolly a lot, loved the broad tech channels, and you wouldn't care if it was owned by Steve Jobs. But LILO, he fscking lives in a trailer making money off.. well, certainly not you!

And security? Since when is Freenode IRC security a thing Gentoo would care about? We're exchanging information and offering eachother help. As long as that is possible, it's good. It's not like Gentoo has _anything_ to do with it, we don't care about it, we just use it.. and i would like to thank Lilo for all this. I'm glad he makes any money cause of us, cause he got it this far, succesfull and crowded exactly like we love it and he deserved it.
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcidw wrote:
Now: Whooaaa *everyone point fingers* Freenode sucks!!111shiftoneshiftoneshiftone.
Imho, you are not one hair better than the kiddie that hacked Lilo and his Freenode network.

Things have been degrading for a while now, if it had only been a single compromise, no one would complain.

lcidw wrote:
And security? Since when is Freenode IRC security a thing Gentoo would care about? We're exchanging information and offering eachother help. As long as that is possible, it's good. It's not like Gentoo has _anything_ to do with it, we don't care about it, we just use it..

And as a user i would like to be not mass-kicked, disconnected or even spied upon by people taking over the servers. Hence i think security is important.

lcidw wrote:
and i would like to thank Lilo for all this. I'm glad he makes any money cause of us, cause he got it this far, succesfull and crowded exactly like we love it and he deserved it.

In case you like the Gentoo forums, please consider donating money to me so i can buy a pony. Why do you treat me differently than Rob Levin?
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcidw wrote:

Debian moved, en masse, several months ago, i.e. before the recent compromise. Don't you think it would take a lot for enough users and developers to start moving that eventually the majority were on oftc rather than freenode?

You may not have any problem with Freenode. I don't either, personally. You can't say that because you don't have problems that no-one does though.
lcidw
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcidw wrote:
and i would like to thank Lilo for all this. I'm glad he makes any money cause of us, cause he got it this far, succesfull and crowded exactly like we love it and he deserved it.

In case you like the Gentoo forums, please consider donating money to me so i can buy a pony. Why do you treat me differently than Rob Levin?[/quote]

Awww :)

If i had the money, the first donation would go out to Gentoo anyway, and some extra dollars for your pony!

Maedhros wrote:
You may not have any problem with Freenode. I don't either, personally. You can't say that because you don't have problems that no-one does though.

Well, thats true. But what a timing to start complaining about it, before the hack i didn't see a threat like this. And not only that, the way it happens (see link from first post) is so childish..
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maedhros wrote:
lcidw wrote:

Debian moved, en masse, several months ago, i.e. before the recent compromise. Don't you think it would take a lot for enough users and developers to start moving that eventually the majority were on oftc rather than freenode?

I dont want to eventually have a problem...
William S.
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd prefer a move to OFTC because I cannot connect to Freenode.

You see, I'm connected through a Linksys router that blocks port 6667 by default, and unlike Freenode which seems to only allow 6667, OFTC lets you connect through port 6668.
sd.hellfire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William S. wrote:
Personally, I'd prefer a move to OFTC because I cannot connect to Freenode.

You see, I'm connected through a Linksys router that blocks port 6667 by default, and unlike Freenode which seems to only allow 6667, OFTC lets you connect through port 6668.

Freenode also has 8001 open, iirc.

While I am not familiar with OFTC, I would not be opposed myself to the addition of added security (namely, SSL).

My biggest concerns about a move would be:
1) Informing users
2) Registering nicknames and channels (#gentoo has been said already to exist, what if the current owner does not _want_ to turn it over as the official gentoo channel? Are we going to get the administration to kick them out?)
3) The other projects on freenode. I'm currently involved with conky (I don't know if brenden would like to move or not), and have found reasons to visit other channels as well... how many servers must I maintain connections to at once? :)
4) Any other headaches which I can guarantee from past experience _will_ occur when moving a channel.

Also, isn't one of the gentoo devs on staff at freenode? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there was one...

If we get to nominate networks... irc.distrust.us is looking for users ;) (Shamless plug)
Syntaxis
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sd.hellfire wrote:
(#gentoo has been said already to exist, what if the current owner does not _want_ to turn it over as the official gentoo channel? Are we going to get the administration to kick them out?)

Those are the breaks:

OFTC IRC FAQ wrote:
Any user may register a channel. However, if the channel bears the name of an existing and reasonably well known project, that project may intervene and take responsibility of the channel.

If the channel owner wasn't prepared to turn it over to Gentoo should they want it, he had no right to register the channel in the first place.
sd.hellfire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syntaxis wrote:
sd.hellfire wrote:
(#gentoo has been said already to exist, what if the current owner does not _want_ to turn it over as the official gentoo channel? Are we going to get the administration to kick them out?)

Those are the breaks:

OFTC IRC FAQ wrote:
Any user may register a channel. However, if the channel bears the name of an existing and reasonably well known project, that project may intervene and take responsibility of the channel.

If the channel owner wasn't prepared to turn it over to Gentoo should they want it, he had no right to register the channel in the first place.

Like I said, I know very little about OFTC ... intresting policy, and that does clear up that particular issue.

one down. :)
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split off Living in trailers.
Enverex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind either as long as Blackace doesn't get to keep his position.
quag7
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eesh, people have been complaining about this guy for years. Seems to me if people really have a problem with him living off donations, the people to blame are the people donating. Without donations, it would be interesting to see if the network actually collapsed - I bet it wouldn't. I bet there's too much time and effort invested in it. Who knows, though.

The angry post linked to in the beginning of the thread lost me immediately. By the time I was finished reading it, I didn't care what the poster had to say, at all, principally due to the unnecessary and frankly scumbag way he posted his social security number, birthday, and address. Frankly it made me sympathize with Levin. To the point where I am wondering what the actual intent of that post was.

I have never been on an IRC network that wasn't occasionally unstable or at the mercy of idiot children with too much time on their hands (not to mention politics). As much as is made of the recent compromise of Freenode, and the daily wallops (oh the horror) asking for donations, I haven't had any problems with freenode.

I can understand disagreeing with this guy's policies but I do not understand the degree of vitriol and emotion that goes into hating this guy. Then again, I've never understood IRC admin politics.

If my opinion counted, I would say that a switch to another network should be predicated upon hard evidence of significant, demonstrable, chronic issues that were measurably hurting the Gentoo support culture.

From my perspective as a prole in #gentoo, I've not seen any. This recent compromise would seem to indicate that there should be better security measures; fine - but to us as users, what was the price of this compromise? A couple minutes of chaos (I wasn't there - I was connected, actually, but asleep)? Ehh. If the problem were to repeat itself in the future, especially using the same exploits, I think that'd be a fair argument for at lease proposing a move.

The post that the first bit in this thread links to, though, ought to be discarded for the crap that it is. Posts like that are, in my opinion, far more a threat to all of us than insecure IRC networks or online panhandlers. I realize that that post was merely one outburst in a long history of anti-lilo sentiment, but frankly acting on that post - even as something which is merely the straw that broke the camels back - is all too likely to encourage such smears in the future from anyone who is unhappy with an administrator of a project. Think about the consequences of that post triggering a mass migration. Then think of the personal politics on a lot of big software projects. I don't like what that would portend.

I don't know lilo; I never talked to him; in fact, almost everything I know about him is a result of people complaining about him. But as far as the freenode IRC network goes, compared to other networks I've been on, it's been relatively hassle free - for me, anyway.

That's just my personal opinion. I'm not particularly interested in peoples' personal vendettas. Seems to me that, if you don't like freenode, the best course of action is simply not to donate. Is anyone not aware of where the funds are going? If people are aware and continue to donate, well, that says quite a lot (that people think it's worth paying the guy a salary). If you donated and you feel like you were ripped off, my suggestion is don't donate in the future.

On the other hand, if people can detail a chronic pattern of issues or abuse which disrupt #gentoo on a regular basis and is hurting the distro, I think it's more than fair to move elsewhere. I haven't noticed, but I'm not always looking in that window.
Covracer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Silc Reply with quote

If security is important to the Gentoo community and a move is likely, why not hop onto SILCnet? Support for SILC isn't amazing, there exist just a standalone client, an irssi plugin and a gaim plugin, iirc, but the security concepts seem sound, although perhaps the implementations have not been tested extensively.
complexity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sd.hellfire wrote:
Syntaxis wrote:
sd.hellfire wrote:

Those are the breaks:

OFTC IRC FAQ wrote:

Like I said, I know very little about OFTC ... intresting policy, and that does clear up that particular issue.

one down. :)

Was also owned by some of the gentoo developers from freenode at one point not sure if it still does.
fuzzythebear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: this is ridiculous Reply with quote

if you think making money is bad .. then obviously you havent
moved out your parent's house yet . :)

whatever lilo's motives are .. still remains that he's been there
the network has been there and it worked for us for quite some time.

moving without a real need to move is just bad for everyone.

instead of criticising .. maybe you can get on a conference with lilo
and join him in his efforts ... never know .. if instead of pointing
fingers you guys just propose to help in an official way , way of
letter , petition , conference on a channel where you invite him ..
then perhaps there's ways to fix some of the issues ..

take the growing way .. take the way that leads to improvement
not confrontation ... that would be a lot more helpfull in solving
the matters you beleive needs to be addressed ..

as far as im concerned .. freenode's been ok and i see no real
need to switch.
RiverRat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maedhros wrote:
lcidw wrote:

I'm not sure how you define en masse but from where I stand it was more of an en some:

#debian@Freenode = 618 users
#debian@OFTC = 271 users

And I didn't check to see how many were on both networks but is was more than a couple.
fraterm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo and "freenode" Reply with quote

j1 wrote:
Care, don't care, thoughts?

Don't care, and I second the feeling that this is a rather *MOG-esque attack. Add me to the list of people that don't really care to follow Debian users like lemmings to another IRC network, especially on the basis of this Slotto Corleone asshats faux-eloquent (and revealingly mildly racist, does it matter that it's a hispanic nanny, really?) character assassination.

If FreeNode has not addressed the matter of security properly, I'd rather let that discussion be the topic, rather than someone complaining about someones means of finding a way to fairly monetize the work-hours involved in administering an IRC network that has been run fairly well in my experience.

I donate to both Gentoo and (to a lesser extent) FreeNode, as well, for the record; Not terribly much, mind you, but to Gentoo sporadically about 10 dollars a month, and freenode a one time 30 dollar donation this year. I try to give back by writing bug reports that don't suck and helping users where I can on #gentoo on freenode and other networks, here and there.

*(Maureen O'Gara reference)

Sitey sites:
http://fraterm.deviantart.com
http://www.approachzero.net
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: