Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
courier-lmap, squirrelmail, apache, nutt and postfix prob!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elmie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: courier-lmap, squirrelmail, apache, nutt and postfix prob! Reply with quote

I have all the above installed, and I think it works kind of I think, well I can send and receive email.

how do I add more users to the mailing system, I have 3 more computers across my house and would be nice to create some sort of wicked mail system setup just for them, but the problem is that I can only login as "root" in squirrelmail. I can't log in as normal users which is what I want to do,

Plus I have tried the virtual Mailing hosting guide, but hell I don't get it and everytime I try it, I get lost and mailing system seems to stop working.

I don't need security setup, because it is going to be used across my lan, but I guess it could be cool to check my email over the net from somewhere else if that is possible.. plus is there some way I can also link it up with my ISP's email pop and smtp server? would I also be able to email from my courier-imap to other people who are using other email client like hotmail and their own ISPs email address with my setup?

one more thing I use sylpheed mail client, I know evolution is probably better, but I like sylpheed, how do I configure it to receive from my local mail system? what is my address? example my isp has pop.ispname.com.au and smtp.ispname.com.au, what would my local system one would be like?
guero61
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Adding users: With a default setup of postix, each user has to have an account available to the machine postfix runs on, whether by local users, NIS, LDAP, or another setup.

2. You can use /etc/postfix/main.cf to crank down usage from anywhere outside of your lan; squirrelmail with ssl should do the trick for you checking outside, as long as your switch/firewall knows to forward http and https to the mail box. Yes, you can send/receive wherever you're not blocked (AOL and Hotmail block some or all of home-DSL users for spam reasons).

3. Your local system would be one of either the simple local network hostname, if you have one, or the IP. Those prefix names are just for looks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: