[SOLVED] dhcpcd not working
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain_Entropy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] dhcpcd not working Reply with quote

Hi...

Long time gentoo user, but i am having trouble with one of my installs on a powerbook g3. i have successfully installed gentoo on the machine (X, everything), but i am having trouble with dhcpcd. I installed it, and it runs and exits successfully, but it does not receive an ip address. the ip is the same as it was before. dhcpcd does not hang, it actually exits fine. I also notice that the activity light on my ethernet card does not flash (no request being sent out). This is the same on both my wireless card and the built in ethernet, so i doubt its a hardware problem. I am thinking that maybe i missed some kind of option in the kernel (ppc kernel comes with almost no options selected in the config).

I have tried reemerging the package (even differenet versions). I am able to connect to the internet by manually setting the IP address and gateway, but i will soon be moving to a network where dhcp is required (802.11x authentication), and i cant specify one. I have tried searching this forum but i havent found any relevant results. Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Last edited by Captain_Entropy on Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
m_sqrd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try adding -d "for Debuging" to your dhcpcd_${you_inerface} options and look at the logs and see if that give you any idea as to what is going on.
Captain_Entropy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: socket: Address family not supported by protocol Reply with quote

Yeah, checked the logs and here is what i get:

Code:
[dhcpcd] dhcpStart: socket: Address family not supported by protocol_

this makes some sense, i get the same error when i run kismet. Whoever can come up with a solution to this problem would be killing two birds with one rock.

Thanks
Captain_Entropy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: SOLVED IT Reply with quote

Solved it. All i needed to do was turn on Packet Socket under networking options in the kernel

thanks for the prod in the right direction.
Bigun
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to be built in too, not modular

*bookmarked*
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: SOLVED IT Reply with quote

Captain_Entropy wrote:
Solved it. All i needed to do was turn on Packet Socket under networking options in the kernel

Thank you for figuring it out. It drove me crazy for hours! :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: